Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be victorious?
Netherlands and Costa Rica
Netherlands and Greece
Mexico and Costa Rica
Mexico and Greece
Football will be victorious
Football is dead
View Results

• Locked thread
toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Qatar, Qatar is happening to the World Cup

Is Qatar or Russia not good for football? Maybe Qatar's really hot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

toanoradian posted:

Maybe Qatar's really hot?

It is

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
You could say that the Qatar world cup is similar to the typical's migrant exodus to the us, completely unnecessary and fake and gay

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Why cant you just root for the team you like and not mention the federation they're from every 5 minutes?

well it came up a couple of pages ago because a guy on TV said it, but I think it's a way of making a team that's not strictly your country/squad into a "Go Us" or a "We" instead of "Go That Team Of Thems". i don't know it seems like a normal tribal expression of fandom

and anyways the entire northwest quadrant is the USAs in deed if not in name

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

EvanTH posted:

it's fun to root for CONCACAF teams I'm not sure why that's cringeworthy ?

there's not a UEFA or CONMEBOL actual long history of competing against each other in meaningful tournaments

What? No, don't answer that, it'll be wrong.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Weaponized Cum posted:

You could say that the Qatar world cup is similar to the typical's migrant exodus to the us, completely unnecessary and fake and gay

So go back to Peru maybe?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

they just need a nice midpoint between russia and qatar except unfortunately that puts you right in the middle of iran

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I just saw an article referring to puto as "the p-word" holy :lol:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crazy Ted posted:

lol amazing

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

nice

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Crazy Ted posted:

i'll stick it in your mom's p-word muhahahah

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

American Sports Journalism

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
The Phillipines eat putos a lot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Crazy Ted posted:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Weaponized Cum posted:

American Sports Journalism
Actually it was Slate.

Also, Costa Rica has been even more amazing when you realize that they've gone on this run without Alvaro Saborio, who's their active leader in both caps and goals. He broke a foot about a month ago.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Costa Rica have scalped teams combining for 7 world cups, two European championships, and 15 Copa Americas.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty
Cheering for CONCACAF has to do with the fact that everyone says CONCACAF is poo poo and doesn't deserve as many spots as they have.

I don't care though I still smiled when Mexico lost.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Actually it was Slate.

Also, Costa Rica has been even more amazing when you realize that they've gone on this run without Alvaro Saborio, who's their active leader in both caps and goals. He broke a foot about a month ago.

I read Slate everyday and, let me tell you, a lot of articles are a load of poo poo.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Trigger warning, this article contains the word "puto"

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Mr. Mambold posted:

What? No, don't answer that, it'll be wrong.

kinda rude y'all i'm answering a question that seemed to be bothering

Are you misreading that as me saying they haven't played each other for a long time? or are you implying there is a long history of world cup tournaments where several CONCACAF teams were looking cream of the crop, real contenders ? CR making it to the QFs is maybe the 4th time any CONCACAF team has gone that far

USA v Mexico has a lil rivalry from Confederations and Olympics but the rest is unknown friendly vassal states.

hah can you imagine Canada or Haiti thinking it's rivaling the USA just because they play a sport good

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

EvanTH posted:

Are you misreading that as me saying they haven't played each other for a long time? or are you implying there is a long history of world cup tournaments where several CONCACAF teams were looking cream of the crop, real contenders ? CR making it to the QFs is maybe the 4th time any CONCACAF team has gone that far

USA v Mexico has a lil rivalry from Confederations and Olympics but the rest is unknown friendly vassal states.

hah can you imagine Canada or Haiti thinking it's rivaling the USA just because they play a sport good

Just give it up, you'll get shouted down whatever you say.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

One of the better penalty saves I've ever seen, what a legend.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I think it's funny that for all the talk about Group D having three former World Cup winners, all being in the top 10 in the ever-accurate FIFA rankings, it's little diddy minnows Costa Rica that have gone the furthest of the four

Not ha ha funny but, uh, IDK, this World Cup guys, wow

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

EvanTH posted:

This is what I was referring to: there's not a UEFA or CONMEBOL actual long history of competing against each other in meaningful tournaments
You probably didn't mean that the way it reads, or I read it different from what you meant.

Yes, there is a sibling rivalry with Mexico that Euros don't understand. And no one gets how Honduras can qualify, unless you've seen footage of their home games, or god forbid been to one- piss throwing? Hah, they invented it as a warmup like the anthems.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Where did this "Go CONCACAF!!!" nonsense come from? Who cheers for regions?

Its because of people who complain about your region and how it is lovely and doesn't deserve any slots in the big international tournament and well whoops

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Maoist Pussy posted:

Its because of people who complain about your region and how it is lovely and doesn't deserve any slots in the big international tournament and well whoops

The first person I heard say this was Alexi Lalas and like everything else he says I assumed it was useless garbage.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Maoist Pussy posted:

Who cares or complains about regions lol at least in this forum I've never heard of it. Also how can there be any competition when it's WC winners: UEFA 10 CONMEBOL 9 CONCACAF 0 I don't like to lord the European supremacy over the minnows but drat you guys keep bringing it up...some kind of inferiority complex?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Just a reminder that while Costa Rica pulled off some insanely sick upsets to win their group and have now managed to knock out the mighty Greeks via penalty shoot-out, it does not make them a good side. Italy were wretched and England were in complete not giving a poo poo mode. The only reason Greece keep qualifying for these tournaments is because they keep lucking into the easiest qualifying groups possible (quite a few superior European teams didn't qualify for this WC eg Sweden, Denmark, Serbia, Slovenia) and Greece are a marginally better side than Costa Rica.

I can't help but root for a good underdog though so off course I'll be hoping the Costa Ricans knock the Dutch out.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

i didnt watch any uefa qualifying games, how did greece get in over sweden?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Gin Soaked Ape posted:

i didnt watch any uefa qualifying games, how did greece get in over sweden?

Sweden played Portugal in the playoff, so only one could go. Greece defeated Romania, who were actually favored but fell apart when they played in Greece. Neither topped their group.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flayer posted:

I can't help but root for a good underdog though so off course I'll be hoping the Costa Ricans knock the Dutch out.

Costa Rica / Argentina* semis would own something fierce.

* Assuming they find a defense**

** :qq:

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Who cares or complains about regions lol at least in this forum I've never heard of it. Also how can there be any competition when it's WC winners: UEFA 10 CONMEBOL 9 CONCACAF 0 I don't like to lord the European supremacy over the minnows but drat you guys keep bringing it up...some kind of inferiority complex?

You guys get like 50 world cup slots how could you not win half of the time lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

80085 posted:

You guys get like 50 world cup slots how could you not win half of the time lol

agreed i can't wait to see concaf get 50 slots so i can watch the netherlands antilles win its 50th world cup

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Borsche69 posted:

agreed i can't wait to see concaf get 50 slots so i can watch the netherlands antilles win its 50th world cup

This but unironically.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I get that you're shitposting but maybe don't contradict yourself in your own post, that could help with your shitposting.

Also this topic seems familiar I feel like i've read this before who was it oh yeah it was you

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=431163033

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Thanks to these match threads, SA has given me another word: garbagemen.

I'll use it well, other with the always giggle inducing shitlord.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I feel like some posters believe wasteman is the british equivalent of garbageman when it's a far more subtle and nuanced term you see, furthermore

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

MrXmas posted:

I get that you're shitposting but maybe don't contradict yourself in your own post, that could help with your shitposting.

Also this topic seems familiar I feel like i've read this before who was it oh yeah it was you

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=431163033

Nice meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

MrXmas posted:

Please don't use the term "shitposting" lol ffs get out

• Locked thread