Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Problem description:
When my laptop boots into Windows, the left speaker on my laptop makes a regular metronomic popping noise accompanied by a hiss that sounds like a mic with high gain is plugged in. It makes this noise no matter what the system volume is set to, and plugging in headphones doesn't do anything (popping sound still comes to speakers and regular pc audio goes through the headphones). The popping noise itself is very regular, two pops roughly every second that happen in quick succession of each other. It only starts when the windows logo appears on boot, sometimes it'll start at the log in screen.

Attempted fixes:
Muting volume - no fix
Reinstalling Realtek driver - no fix
Disabling Realtek Audio Driver and restarting - problem stops (but obviously no sound output at all from laptop)
Clean Boot with Realtek driver enabled - no fix, popping noise is back
The above with NVIDIA High Definition Audio drivers disabled and enabled - seems to make no difference.
The only thing that affects it is turning the realtek driver off, safe mode and clean booting don't make a difference
Edit: I can send audio out via HDMI using the NVIDIA driver, So it's looking likely that it's some kind of hardware fault with the card/MOBO or something else perhaps.

Recent changes:
Nothing changed recently. MSE and Spybot scans both come up clean. Problem started while running a game which was installed and I've been playing for 3-4 months.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home prem 64-bit

System specs:

(This was taken with the realtek driver disabled, with it enabled it'll show Realtek High Definition Audio under teh NVIDIA one)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

kemikalkadet fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Did you install the latest Realtek audio drivers from the Realtek website?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Alereon posted:

Did you install the latest Realtek audio drivers from the Realtek website?

Yes sorry I just edited that in, reinstalling the realtek driver was one of the first things I tried (realtek has a fantastically Web 1.0 website).

• Locked thread