Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will happen?
This poll is closed.
France will bottle it 1 1.45%
Joachim Löw will look sternly into the distance and pick his nose 16 23.19%
Miroslav Klose will break Ronaldo's record 21 30.43%
Pens. Always pens. 8 11.59%
Algeria will play exciting football 0 0%
Ironic racism 23 33.33%
Total: 69 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Telegraph.co.uk posted:

France (Possible, 4-1-4-1): Lloris; Debuchy, Varane, Sakho, Evra; Cabaye; Valbuena, Pogba, Benzema; Giroud.

Nigeria (Possible, 4-4-2): Enyeama; Ambrose, Oboabona, Omerou, Oshaniwa; Mikel, Onazi, Azeez, Moses; Odemwingie, Emenike.

Referee: Mark Geiger (USA).

Betting: France 1-2, Nigeria 6-1, Draw 3-1

Team News
Yohan Cabaye returns to the France midfield after missing the 0-0 draw with ecudor through suspension.
Nigeria's Victor Moses had been the main injury concern the Chelsea winger trained on Saturday.
Only midfielder Michael Babatunde is missing with a broken wrist.

Match Notes
Nigeria are in the last 16 for the first time since France '98.
Now they meet a French team who have grown up together and remain one of the tournament favourites.
France have impressed and with Cabaye available should be too strong for the Africans.

Stat of the game: France had more goal attempts in their group stage games than any other team: 61.

Telegraph.co.uk posted:

Germany (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Neuer; Boateng, Hummels, Mertesacker, Hoewedes; Schweinsteiger, Lahm; Kroos, Özil, Götze; Müller

Algeria (Possible, 5-3-2): Mbolhi; Belkalem, Halliche, Mesbah, Medjani, Mandi; Bentaleb, Feghouli, Brahimi; Slimani, Djabou.

Referee: Sandro Ricci (Brazil).

Betting: Germany 3-10, Algeria 9-1, Draw 4-1.

Team News
Germany miss Arsenal's Lukas Podolski with a thigh problem suffered against the USA.
Full back Jérôme Boateng remains a doubt with a knee injury.
Algeria should be unchanged from the team that drew with Russia.

Match Notes
Thirty-two years is a long time to wait for revenge.
It was way back in 1982 when Germany and Austria played out what went down in the history books as the "Disgrace of Gijon" to eliminate Algeria from the World Cup.
On Monday in Porto Alegre, Algeria faces Germany for the first time since that infamous match - with a spot in the quarterfinals on the line.
On paper, this match should be no contest.

Stat of the game: Algeria have played Germany twice and beaten them on both occasions. They are one of only three countries never to have lost to the Germans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Getting past Nigeria really shouldn't be a problem but with France in the WC you never quite know what you're going to get. Still going to predict that Benzema continues this astonishing "goal-scoring" thing and France crushes Africa's hopes and dreams again 3-0.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I wonder if Lahm will continue to play in midfield assuming Boateng isn't fit.
Watching Howedes at left back makes me slam my fists on the table and shout **PROPER FULLBACK** for a good sixteen minutes each match.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

shadok posted:

Getting past Nigeria really shouldn't be a problem but with France in the WC you never quite know what you're going to get. Still going to predict that Benzema continues this astonishing "goal-scoring" thing and France crushes Africa's hopes and dreams again 3-0.

I'm down with this OP.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Allez les Chleuhs

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Note that Algeria are actively practising Ramadan so they will basically be zombies walking onto the pitch tonight. France's Ramadan-practitioners are deferring their fasting so should be ok.

Expect a few Nigerians to be on the ropes too

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
God willing, the warriors of Allah will crush the Teutonic backstabbers and have revenge once and for all.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 30, 2014

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I can see it turning out really well tbh

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

France playing with only ten men is an interesting strategy tbh

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think the Afrika Korps will be victorious today, also Vichy France.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

Bogan Krkic posted:

I don't get it.

Edit: I get it now. :downs:

mrg220t fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 30, 2014

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

julian assflange posted:

Note that Algeria are actively practising Ramadan so they will basically be zombies walking onto the pitch tonight. France's Ramadan-practitioners are deferring their fasting so should be ok.

Expect a few Nigerians to be on the ropes too

stupid of them to schedule Ramadan during a world cup imo

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Today's already shaping up to be pretty funny if this snippet I saw is anything to go by:

quote:

The Uruguay captain Diego Lugano has branded the four-month suspension handed to Luis Suárez an act of “barbarity” that breaches the Liverpool striker’s human rights...“It’s a breach of human rights that a player cannot go into a stadium where there are 80,000 people, or into a hotel with his team-mates – that he cannot work for four months,” said the centre-half who spent last season at West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League. “He has committed an offence, but this ban is barbarity. Not even a criminal would receive this penalty.”

Also

quote:

The Luis Suárez “biting” incident has been explained away by a Uruguayan TV station as a conspiracy by the English – just like the 1966 World Cup final.

A report on the Tenfield station’s website said Suárez’s face made contact with Giorgio Chiellini’s shoulder but only became an issue about biting when British reporters repeatedly asked questions in the post-match press conference. The report adds that Geoff Hurst’s second goal in the 1966 final did not cross the line.

:lol:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Crazy Ted posted:

Today's already shaping up to be pretty funny if this snippet I saw is anything to go by:

Also

He's right. A criminal would go to jail for being a serial biter.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
This is the first time France and Nigeria face each other in the World Cup. The only time they've met before was a lovely friendly back in 2009 that France won 1-0. France will struggle with the hot temperatures, which probably suit the Nigerians better. However, the Nigerians are garbage and I don't think they have a chance against France. Enyeama may play an important role as before, that's true, but if the Nigerians keep playing like they did during the group stage, one or two are bound to get across the line.

France's probable lineup will be Lloris, Debuchy, Varane, Koscielny, Evra, Pogba/Sissoko, Cabaye, Matuidi, Valbuena, Benzema, Griezmann/Giroud.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crazy Ted posted:

Also

I love that parting shot: "...AND your World Cup winning goal wasn't a goal!!!"

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Bogan Krkic posted:

France is going to start with ten, then Deschamps is going to regenerate like Doctor Who, run on and score a hat trick.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

haha world war 2 refs ftw

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Algeria will not cause an upset today, but they are an interesting team that can defend. Scoring against Algeria is not an easy task. While the Germans probably don't give a poo poo about 1982, that victory is the moral cornerstone of the Algerian team. Vahid didn't want to comment on the Ramadan thing and stated that it's a personal issue for each player. The Algerians are hungry for victory and, get this, for food.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Hegay posted:

haha world war 2 refs ftw

Epic thissery

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
I hope Algeria win and France win so that we have France and Algeria playing the day before Algerian Independence Day.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now that the smoke has cleared, I see there are actually people who unironically think Mexico got robbed yesterday. Lol? I thought they were kidding.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
It's Coming Hoam

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

oliwan posted:

Now that the smoke has cleared, I see there are actually people who unironically think Mexico got robbed yesterday. Lol? I thought they were kidding.

Robben? More like robber

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

oliwan posted:

yesterday's thread is still open you stupid rear end retard go post there

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hoping the first game goes to penalties to minimise time between the foot. Hoping for some lovely goals from musa and a shock win to make gemanys road to the final easier. Though if future arsenal striker karim benzema has a good game i won't be too upset

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Although I obviously support the brave desert foxes of Algeria, a France - Germany GF would be hella tasty

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Messyass posted:

Although I obviously support the brave desert foxes of Algeria, a France - Germany GF would be hella tasty

mixed heritage dates are the best op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Please repost this thread without a poll it's incredibly annoying seeing it at the top of every single page. Matchday threads are incredibly fast moving and it's not for polls.

• Locked thread