Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Problem description: Today I purchased an ASUS VS207-d-p monitor. It works fine, except for the fact that Windows 8.1 64-Bit won't detect the monitor for what it is. It comes up as a generic non-pnp monitor, and whenever I'm on a page with a dark background, faint, white diagonal lines running from the top left to the bottom right are visible.

Attempted fixes: I can confirm it isn't my video card as my monitor I used before works perfectly, with no lines or issues with detection, and all games run smoothly. I've tried the new monitor in my laptop, and everything seems to be in working order, no lines or detection problems.

In my ATI Catalyst Control Center, the monitor is detected as an ASUS VS207, so apparently just Windows detection has some sort of problem with it. I've tried disconnecting the monitor and shutting down the PC, waiting for a bit, and plugging it back in, to no result. I've also switched VGA cables and again, nothing changes. I can also still change my resolution to 1600x900, which I thought you couldn't do if it was a generic non-pnp monitor(I might be wrong)

Recent changes: None at all, aside from disconnecting an old monitor and connecting a new one.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64-bit
System specs: CyberpowerPC, AMD FX-6300 3.6GHZ 6-core CPU, ATI Radeon R7-200 series GPU.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Edit: Nevermind, this is working as intended because you have an obsolete monitor that only supports analog signals. If you just purchased this monitor I would strongly recommend that you return it for a refund and consult the Monitor Megathread before purchasing a replacement.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Alereon posted:

Edit: Nevermind, this is working as intended because you have an obsolete monitor that only supports analog signals. If you just purchased this monitor I would strongly recommend that you return it for a refund and consult the Monitor Megathread before purchasing a replacement.

Thank you. I didn't realize that when I bought it. I appreciate the help, will definitely be returning it tomorrow.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
To elaborate as I wrote that while I was heading out of work (sorry!), the diagonal lines and display artifacts should not be happening regardless. The monitor displaying as generic is normal and not a problem, it wouldn't affect anything about how the monitor works. However, modern computers and monitors are all digital, and to use an old-style analog display like that you have to convert the signal, resulting in loss of image quality. Some hardware may simply no longer bother to maintain compatibility with analog monitors. Overall I'd see if you have issues with a new monitor using a digital connection before worrying too much about this.

Here is an example of a LG 23" 1080p IPS monitor for $129.99. I am not saying to buy this monitor, it is just an example of a cheap monitor that still seems decent. The key features are an HDMI input, which is digital, an IPS panel, which means the colors won't shift and wash out if you aren't looking at the panel from the dead-center, and a full-HD 1920x1080 resolution. You could save a few dollars more by shrinking down to a 20-22" 1080p display, but then text looks too small in my opinion. I did not check to see if this monitor had good (low) input lag for gaming.

The Monitor Megathread is here and is a good resource for how to tell what monitor is good, and you can find recent buying advice there as well.

• Locked thread