Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burrr!
Aug 2, 2009

Problem description: I just moved into a new place and am having trouble setting up the network I desire. I have my own cable modem that is registered with Comcast (my new ISP). It is in trying to set up a wireless network that I run into problems. When connecting my computer directly to the cable modem, I am able to get an internet connection. However, when connecting my computer directly to an intermediate piece of hardware that is connected to the modem (such as an old Linksys wireless router or switch) I am unable to get a connection on any computer. All of the status lights on the modem and router indicate that it should be just fine, and Comcast has confirmed that it is not an issue with my modem.

Attempted fixes: Power cycling all hardware and reconnecting it in various orders. Cloning router's MAC address to that of the computer. Changed DNS. Called Comcast (lol) and had them reset my modem. Reset router to factory defaults. Turning Windows Firewall off.

Recent changes: Relocation and installation of the new modem/router, but no changes to the computer itself.

--

Operating system: Windows 7

System specs: Not sure if the specific computer specs matter since this is a networking issue, but the modem is a Zyxel BRG-35503 and the router/switch are the old, classic Linksys WRT54G and BEFSR41

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, the googling resulted in my trying all the previously described attempted fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do you have access to a modern wireless router that could support your Internet connection? While you should be able to establish a connection neither router has a CPU fast enough to route traffic through a cable Internet connection, because they were designed for connections like DSL that were available 13 years ago.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 1, 2014

Burrr!
Aug 2, 2009

A newer router fixed the issue, thanks. Didn't want to have to spend the money but oh well!

• Locked thread