Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Problem description: I think I was hit by a power surge. It's probably my fault for not using a suppressor since I left it home when I took my computer elsewhere just for one week. Figures, I'm an idiot.

Anyway, after the alleged surge my computer now crashes under stress: either to desktop, hardlock, or sometimes a bluescreen (MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION). Happens quickly from high-power games (Planetside2, Hawken) or after some hours (Factorio). Sometimes I just lose all sound completely, but the sound comes back when applications are closed and restarted.

Attempted fixes: I've been hit by power surges before, and the solution last time was "New PSU". Well, I got a new PSU and my poo poo's still hosed so here I am. The computer is fine unless I want to game with it, and it's a custom built game rig so :arghfist::(

CoreTemp logging shows my temperatures are fine. GPU-Z doesn't seem to show anything unusual. Prime95 torture tests run for a bit, then Core #1 throws and error and goes idle. This (plus googling the bluescreen) leads me to believe I need a new processor, maybe. Or maybe a new motherboard. I don't know, I'm an idiot, that's why I'm here.

Recent changes: No (well, new PSU after the fact)

--

Operating system: Windows 7 x64

System specs:
Mobo: Asus PBZ77-M
Processor: i5 3570K Ivy Bridge
Video: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
RAM: 8 gig
PSU: (new) XFX P1-650X-XXB9 650W

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Unfortunately in your position the only way to know which part is defective is to replace it and discover you were right after the fact :(. I'd start testing and replacing the cheapest parts first: Partly out of optimism, and partly because faulty RAM can cause all sorts of other tests to fail when they shouldn't.

The good news is that you won't often see a damaged processor limp along half-working. Usually when they fail they fail hard, so your chip is probably fine. If the memory test passes and the chip still fails, assume you've damaged the board and replace that first.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I agree that RAM is likely the issue. What kind of RAM do you have?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Beats me, I ordered it I think 2+ years ago using the SHSC buying guide. I suppose it's time for a new rig anyway. Better to buy all the parts and put them together than buy one part at a time until it works and be out of order until then. :goleft:

Thanks for the effort/bad news. I'm 0 for 2 on tech support :(

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 5, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That's actually not really a bad system, you wouldn't really get much by replacing it. Your best bet is to just fix the problems you're currently having. Run CPU-Z and post a screenshot of the SPD tab, that will show what memory you have.

• Locked thread