Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peavey
Aug 22, 2007
hi
Problem description:

My monitors stop displaying a picture and goes into standby mode whenever I play a game/watch a video, I can still hear the video/game audio and all the normal lights on my pc and keyboard are on, everything seems to be running fine but I have no picture and my reset button doesn't work. I can leave the PC idling and surf the net fine. I haven't had any graphical glitches or artifacts leading up to this.

Attempted fixes:

I have checked my GPU temp it is a steady 38 - 40 degrees, cleaned and checked all my fans, unplugged each monitor in turn and installed different graphics drivers.

Recent changes:

None
--

Operating system:

Windows 7 64 bit

System specs:

i5 760 @ 2.8GHz
AMD HD7700
Gigabyte P55M-UD2 motherboard
600w power supply
monitors are
ASUS MW221
LG Flatron E2211

UK

I have Googled and read the FAQ:

Yes

My uneducated guess is a power supply problem but I can't figure a way to check this without going out and buying another supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Which power supply is it and how old is it?

Peavey
Aug 22, 2007
hi
Novatech PowerStation Gaming 600W Silent ATX2 Modular Power Supply

Bought june 2011

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/novatech/nov-psg600.html

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Generic power supplies are known for causing system issues, and when they eventually fail they often fry attached devices. I'd replace your power supply with a decent quality model, even if that doesn't fix the problem directly you've dodged the coming bullet. It's hard to troubleshoot the issue anyway when you're using a known-bad power supply, as power supply issues could cause any other system problems or diagnostics to fail.

• Locked thread