Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

So, now that the kickstarter has been delivered (well, mostly?) and the retail dates are starting to be set, I thought a post talking about Relic Knights might be in order. Will it blow up or implode, we will see.

What is Relic Knights?
Err... over the top anime style miniatures and some interesting gameplay?
It's a game by Soda Pop Miniatures and Cool Mini Or Not. It started as a kickstarter back in September 9, 2012, ended up being over a year late from it's original May 2013 release, and is now coming out. There was a decent amount of buzz about the game for the anime aesthetic and unique play style. Being over a year late killed a lot of that, as a lot of people dropped the project for refunds and found the preview of the actual models a bit lacking, and it kind of fell into the wayside. Now that people are getting in their hands the buzz is starting to come back, but we will see if it enough to get it rolling out.
Of note is that Soda Pop and Cool Mini have broken up, and Soda Pop formed Ninja Division with Cypher Studio (of Anima Tactics and Hell Dorado fame). Definitely a lot of potential there, but they also have a hand in the Robotech kickstarter which is running late as well...

The models are a resin-plastic / res-tic / Privateer Press style plastic. The details are a bit soft, but it's pretty easy to clean up compared to Privateer Press plastics. The barrier to entry is fairly small: 50 bucks will get you a starter set of ~27-30 points (the "tournament level" games that Soda Pop will push are 50 points), the deck, the full rules (same as the rulebook, minus the fluff and faction information), cards, and acrylic tokens for objectives and AOEs. Everything you need minus a ruler for the minimum 35 point game (with a couple of boosts).
The models all come with cards that describe them, ala Warmachine Hordes, and you don't need a separate book for your faction. We will see if this applies to future expansions as well. The optional models are priced about as average.

I want story with my tabletop game!
The Darkspace Calamity has claimed many galaxies until there is one left... and nobody knows what is causing the Calamity. Galaxies have just disappeared with no signs of conflict. Now 6 factions will fight to keep order (or cause destruction) in the last galaxy, find the source of the Calamity, and stop it.
The rulebook has a history of the galaxy and the 6 factions told in-universe by members of that faction. The fluff bits are well written and surprisingly brutal in parts. A good read overall!

How does it play?
Unlike most games there are no traditional turns, and thus the game relies on victory points to determine the win condition and when the game ends. The victory points, ready queue, number of knights, and table size (3x3 or 4x4) depends on number of points agreed beforehand. Each model or unit comes with a card that describes the actions, keep tracks of health, and is used to mark its place in the ready queue.

The game doesn't use dice, but instead a deck of cards with colors corresponding to the different esper types. Each faction has an esper color they are related to, and they will primarily use that color along with the colors around it. Most cards have a primary color worth 2, and a secondary worth 1. These are treated as resources that you use to buy actions. We will see how this works in "Activate a model" below.

The rules are available online: http://sodapopminiatures.com/media-page/relic-knights/

Ready queue
------------

At the start of a standard game you will set the initial ready queue, which is 3 units. All remaining units will go into your idle section (unless you have less than 4 models to activate). On your turn you will activate the left-most unit, put its card in the idle slot, move the items in your queue to the left, and place a model from your idle queue in the right most slot of the queue. This means that there aren't traditional turns, and that you can ignore some of your units by just never activating them until your other units die.

Activate a model
----------------
A unit has three parts to its activation: primary movement, action, and secondary movement. There are no penalties to moving out of combat so your models tend to move all over the place during a turn. During the action phase you can use one of your actions (which a defined on a unit-by-unit basis), if you use an attack you have to pay using your hand (for example, 2 red and 1 yellow esper). If you can do that you will draw cards based on the attack type (melee, ranged, and magic) and the target draws cards based on their defense. The attacker can buy presses that adds extra damage and effects.
Some actions are defensive only, and can be played if your unit is being attacked. They can recover life, add armor, or straight up ignore certain attacks.

This sounds complicated, but resolves very quickly when in practice. In short you buy attacks with resources you get from a deck of cards that you constantly flip through while moving around like a crazy person!

Objectives
----------
Objectives are what you are shooting for during the game. You can win by killing all your enemies, but that will be tricky to pull off. The standard games plays up to 8 victory points, and you get 1 for killing a unit and 3 for killing the enemy leader (usually a knight). Each faction has a separate objective worth 2 points, and you randomly flip for scenarios for each player; primary objective worth 5 and secondary worth 3. There is also the possibility of 2 other scenarios (wildspace and darkspace) that both players can have!
It is a lot to keep track up, and the scenarios are all different. The thing they have in common is that each player will place a primary and 2 secondary objective markers that they will usually have to defend in some way.

There is a lot of interaction between the objectives and the ready queue. Since you can see what models the enemy will activate three "turns" in advance you can try to outsmart them.

What about the factions
Noh Empire
----------

Slavers who were changed by their God to look like demons, the Noh are a fleet-based race that loves causing destruction. Their color is red, which represents entropy.

The Noh are beefy guys and have crazy amounts of life and melee power. They can't put out the shooting of the other races, but they can shrug it off. They will generally be outnumbered, and they have small squad sizes, but with the way the ready queue works that can actually be a blessing.

Doctrine
--------

The school/Harry Potter faction, only replace magic wands with lacrosse sticks. Because you can't have anime inspired models without nearly underage schoolgirls in short skirts. Doctrine are all about discovering and learning about new forms of esper, and might be the best source to find out about the Darkspace Calamity, if only they would stop sending out their students to suicide missions. Their color is yellow, which represents essence.

The doctrine are all about magic! They tend to be glass cannons, relying on constructs to soak up hits, but doing big damage with magic attacks. They have some of the best resource management in the game with multiple ways of getting the esper you need for their actions. They are average in speed and objective handling.

Cerci Speed Circuit
-------------------

Cerci is a bankrupt planet that decided to reinvent itself by becoming space Las Vegas and getting filthy rich in the process. There claim for fame is the speed circuits race tracks that are known for speed and danger. The Speed Circuit fight for riches, adrenaline, and to protect the galaxy (in that order). The second creepiest faction behind Doctrine. Their color is green, which represents creation.

Speed! They have by far the fastest faction, with their basic bikers moving 18" a turn! They also have a lot of robots and mechanics, making them tough to take out unless you kill off the support pieces. They don't have the best armor/survivability, or the best damage output, but in a game that relies on objectives their speed makes the difference.

Shattered Sword
---------------

A small group of paladins that go about protecting people. A powerful faction in the galaxy, though stretched very thin given that the universe has a lot of nasty beasts in it. Surprisingly the main conflict about them is not that they are repressing people with laws, but that the average paladin has the life expectancy of a fly despite being well trained. Their color is blue, which represents law.

A powerful faction with good armor and decent front line units. They have giant mechs to fly around in, a decent amount of healing, and can play the number game with tough generic troops. They prefer melee combat, as most of their defensive abilities don't work at range. There general nature is a strength and a weakness as you have to balance offense and defensive abilities, and attacking versus going for objectives.

Black Diamond
-------------

Unlike Blackwater, the Black Diamonds are a privatized military group with some practices that aren't quite on the up-and-up. They are looking to form the most powerful military organization one contract at a time. Right now they are doing good, providing mercenary training and protection for merchant fleets and mass transports, but who knows if they will make a bolder move to seek power... Their color is purple which represents corruption.

Black Diamond are all about the shooting. They have good objective runners, decent enough troops, and some good utility. They do run into trouble when it comes to melee... most of the troops have no melee capability, and are forced to move back from melee to get any damage going, meaning they can be pushed off objectives they are guarding pretty easily. Sophia Drake is one of the most anticipated models that weren't released in the kickstarter sets... she makes the Black Dragons (power armored troops!) into killers. They have great officers that support a specific unit type.

Star Nebula Corsairs
--------------------

Anime pirates! Can't go wrong with that. They are a fairly random grouping that are fighting for their own independence in a galaxy that is shrinking as other powers take control. Their color is orange which represents chaos.

The pirates are very average, with their power coming in with unique personalities and individual models. They also have to most movement tricks, blasting the enemy back with broadsides and explosives, making the faction very good at objective running. Once their characters start falling, they tend to be in trouble. Hit hard and hit fast!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I will posting up answers to questions here, along with pictures of the models that I have for people to see.

Terrain
As with most wargames, terrain is important. For Relic Knights you will need a good amount of it; ranged attacks have infinite range and even slower models are zooming around the board 8" at a time. You don't need infinity levels, but a nice set of line of sight blocking will be important. Given that Relic Knights is a mix of anime, sci-fi, and magic (esper) you can make almost any themed terrain work.

I'll throw some links up later with some good items, but anything currently marketed for infinity will work fine thematically.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Necroing this thread now that the Kickstarter backers have their models and the game is officially released.

Here is a demo game from Gencon showing off the game basics: http://youtu.be/Sgz_pFRlQI0

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Eyespy posted:

Here is a demo game from Gencon showing off the game basics: http://youtu.be/Sgz_pFRlQI0

Nice, there are a couple more demo videos out there, but that's a pretty good one.

As soon as I can find an image host that doesn't suck (since facebook doesn't work anymore?) I have some Noh to share!

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
Started assembling my models for this about a week ago and so far everything looks good. Once I get stuff painted up I'll post pictures.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Managed to snag a box of Noh. Im not overly impressed with the molding but the rules seem interesting. Group of us picked up sets on a whim (Noh, Noh, Black Diamond and uhh school girl faction.). Am I missing something or are there no deployment zones in this game? Rules make it seem like we can place anywhere on the board. Have not watched any tutorial vids yet.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Pretty much no deployment zones. The way it works is you alternate placing your objective markers, once they're all down you alternate placing guys from cards. Your minis can't go within 8" of an enemy figure or objective.

I was one of the fools who backed it on Kickstarter. Still waiting for my battlemat :(

Also am getting increasingly pissed off with Sodapop/Ninja Division for some of their post-Kickstarter shenanigans, such as putting the 'special edition, won't be sold outside the KS or special events' minis on general release, and making the only way to get hold of Jeanne to also get a duplicate Navarre (as he was released in a duo pack with Austican in the KS).

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
That seems kinda crappy. I heard they lost backing from another company as well. Not sure how much of that is true but the molds are somewhat lack luster. Facial details bugging two of our players. Noh look pretty good. Grabbed an Amaliel when I got my box (both for pretty much free.) Thats and odd system for such a small board. Seems like terrain is a heavy influence onthis game too. Not let down, none of us kickstarted it, but definately different than expectations.

Totally love the resource system though.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah, the game itself is pretty decent, I'm just annoyed at the company. Essentially Soda Pop fell out with Cool Mini after the KS ended, this led SPM to start up Ninja Division to do their fulfillment etc. Apparently this means SPM don't feel bound by any of the things they had Cool Mini put on the KS page.

One thing that caught me out is that terrain doesn't do anything other than block movement or line of sight unless you specifically say it grants protection or whatever. Definitely needs a bunch of terrain, especially with unlimited range on guns and psychic attacks.

Minis wise I agree some of the faces lack detail, but at least it's true to source (anime chars rarely have much more than a bump for a nose). Must crack on with painting when I have free time again.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kortel posted:

Managed to snag a box of Noh. Im not overly impressed with the molding but the rules seem interesting. Group of us picked up sets on a whim (Noh, Noh, Black Diamond and uhh school girl faction.). Am I missing something or are there no deployment zones in this game? Rules make it seem like we can place anywhere on the board. Have not watched any tutorial vids yet.

Correct on no deployment zones. It is goofy at first, but you get used to it quick. Since you can't deploy within X" of the enemy you tend to get natural lines forming anyways. It is an incentive to putting your big units out first though!

I really like the Noh and Black Diamond, but honestly the school girls (Doctrine) have the worse sculpts currently. A lot of the old metal sculpts didn't come out good in plastic, and doctrine has the worse scaling issues. They are fun to play though!

Since you have two noh players make sure you have good line of sight blocking terrain or they will get rocked. Then again I think Zinadea has an attack that ignores line of sight, so that might work out either way! Remember, all guns have infinite range... another oddity.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

So it looks like I'll be the one to necro the thread and post a painted model.

This is a Christmas gift I painted for a friend so he'd have a nice centerpiece model for his force. I'm not a huge fan of the Star Nebula Corsairs, but this one grew on me.

The model itself is pretty good, with alternate poses ranging from this badass arrangement to the 'here is my butt' riding pose. Kate's face has no god drat detail at all and trying to freehand a mouth was a complete loving nightmare.

EDIT: Better Photo

Eyespy fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 17, 2014

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I have a pretty large Cerci Speed circuit army and I just love the game.

I'm thinking of fielding a Harbonath Void army next. Buying specific game pieces that form a very good combo.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a void model that would go well with Harbonath's Void Reaper skill.

Basically it seems like if he's full on esper and reaves a unit he just overflows and can't do anything with it.

There are units like Iron Chef that allow espers to make an esper transfer as well as their normal activation, does anyone know of a similar unit for knights?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

LordAba posted:

Correct on no deployment zones. It is goofy at first, but you get used to it quick. Since you can't deploy within X" of the enemy you tend to get natural lines forming anyways. It is an incentive to putting your big units out first though!

I really like the Noh and Black Diamond, but honestly the school girls (Doctrine) have the worse sculpts currently. A lot of the old metal sculpts didn't come out good in plastic, and doctrine has the worse scaling issues. They are fun to play though!

Since you have two noh players make sure you have good line of sight blocking terrain or they will get rocked. Then again I think Zinadea has an attack that ignores line of sight, so that might work out either way! Remember, all guns have infinite range... another oddity.
Well, it does make sense in the scope of a tabletop wargame. Having runs that can only hit something that's roughly 10x the firing model's height away is very disproportionate, and works out to guns having a scaled-up range of something pitiful like 20 meters.
The game seems interesting, so I might look into it a little later if there's anyone else that plays it in my area.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ It is odd because it doesn't show up in other games. At least I cannot think of another game that doesn't limit the range on ranged weapons.

lets burn posted:

So I have a pretty large Cerci Speed circuit army and I just love the game.

I'm thinking of fielding a Harbonath Void army next. Buying specific game pieces that form a very good combo.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a void model that would go well with Harbonath's Void Reaper skill.

Harbonath lists are a bit tougher in theory since the Black Diamond uniques are designed to work with units, which the Void army currently cannot have. Sophia drake is still pretty good if you can bunker her somewhere (which works with the Shadow ability) with her defensive aura, giving her 5-6 cards on defense.

I'm guessing future expansions will offer Void/Radiant units. Though that might not be for a while given the pace of releases!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm gonna buy 2 battle boxes for the purposes of demoing this game at a thing. Are the corsairs and cerci speed circuit newbie friendly?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

signalnoise posted:

I'm gonna buy 2 battle boxes for the purposes of demoing this game at a thing. Are the corsairs and cerci speed circuit newbie friendly?

I don't know for sure, but I have been told that the Cerci battlebox is bad.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Cerci battlebox is terrible as a starter set as it's nothing but support pieces (I guess the wrecker is OK in melee but the main focus is repairing stuff). I have no idea why they changed it after the KS (was a bunch of Hell's Belles led by Suicide Queen).

Black Diamond's box is pretty good, Magnus is a beast and not many weird rules iirc.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

signalnoise posted:

I think any faction you pick has its own little quirks to get around. My friend usually runs corsairs vs shattered sword for demos. Shattered sword can be a little boring(although that is the faction I chose) so maybe cerci will provide a bit more interest with the tricks they bring to the table. I would suggest that you choose objectives or at least disallow carnage as an objective because most(maybe all?) Battle boxes only have 3 units.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Infinite range guns is pretty common in historicals. It's sort of an argument where there are points on both sides. Historicals with those rules usually still have a sweet spot because what usually happens is that targets get harder to hit the further away they are up until a point where you're basically hail marying shots downwind and praying for a six, while more wargamey wargames tend to limit the max range to whatever the game creator determines the maximum effective range for that weapon to be.

But when we get to 32mm figures on 3x3 boards the idea of effective range is pretty moot since were talking an area that's less than the size of a square block in NYC.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jodai posted:

I think any faction you pick has its own little quirks to get around. My friend usually runs corsairs vs shattered sword for demos. Shattered sword can be a little boring(although that is the faction I chose) so maybe cerci will provide a bit more interest with the tricks they bring to the table. I would suggest that you choose objectives or at least disallow carnage as an objective because most(maybe all?) Battle boxes only have 3 units.

Yeah, if you demo Cerci you are mostly locked into doing objectives... most demos I see are usually "kill everything" types to avoid some confusion initially, but Cerci has an uphill battle in that situation.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

LordAba posted:

Yeah, if you demo Cerci you are mostly locked into doing objectives... most demos I see are usually "kill everything" types to avoid some confusion initially, but Cerci has an uphill battle in that situation.

I guess that makes sense but I really think the objectives are such a big part of the game that playing a "kill everything" demo is doing a disservice to new players. I would suggest picking good objectives for each faction but I would avoid randomizing them because, like I mentioned, carnage makes the game into kill everything and some of them are more complicated than others. Siege is probably a good one, maybe sabotage. I need to look at the book to get a better idea of what can go where. I think with the right objectives, both sides can have a fun game and it usually leads to dramatic moments, especially when players know they can remove certain opponents markers from objectives.

On the other hand, just getting into the system and understanding how everything works might be easier if it is just kill everyone.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jodai posted:

I guess that makes sense but I really think the objectives are such a big part of the game that playing a "kill everything" demo is doing a disservice to new players. I would suggest picking good objectives for each faction but I would avoid randomizing them because, like I mentioned, carnage makes the game into kill everything and some of them are more complicated than others. Siege is probably a good one, maybe sabotage. I need to look at the book to get a better idea of what can go where. I think with the right objectives, both sides can have a fun game and it usually leads to dramatic moments, especially when players know they can remove certain opponents markers from objectives.

On the other hand, just getting into the system and understanding how everything works might be easier if it is just kill everyone.

It really depends on the time you have to play. I've done "Stand up and go through a turn or two" types where you don't want to fill the persons head with numbers... even though the scenario driven gameplay should be emphasised. If you have a full game session, I would say go

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I personally prefer games that can showcase objective-focused gameplay in demo games, since when I play tabletop games if I'm on the back-foot or I can't brute force my way to victory, I pull out ll the stops and have eyes only for feints and objectives.
Also, tons of other wargames/skirmish games have a solid focus on killing stuff/tabling the opponent; being able to showcase other victory conditions as being viable and good is a great way to do demo games, and also gives the prospective new players more of an idea to the depth behind a game. I haven't played Relic Knight yet so I can't give any specific demo advice, but I've been interested in giving it a go once I've got my pile of shame painted up.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
OK, so if Cerci isn't really the best, what would be a good INTERESTING matchup for Corsairs in a demo? I want the Corsairs personally, but I don't really care what the other group is. I have no real idea how the game plays and I don't really glean much from a rulebook without playing a game.

The demo will be done at an anime convention, which is why I am doing Relic Knights in the first place. I might be able to squeeze some support for it out of Soda Pop but I don't really know what to ask for. What would you say I should have (other than a real knowledge of the rules) to make the game as appealing as possible to first-sight players, including myself? Mats? What kind of a map should I have? Any accessories to get?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

OK, so if Cerci isn't really the best, what would be a good INTERESTING matchup for Corsairs in a demo? I want the Corsairs personally, but I don't really care what the other group is. I have no real idea how the game plays and I don't really glean much from a rulebook without playing a game.

The demo will be done at an anime convention, which is why I am doing Relic Knights in the first place. I might be able to squeeze some support for it out of Soda Pop but I don't really know what to ask for. What would you say I should have (other than a real knowledge of the rules) to make the game as appealing as possible to first-sight players, including myself? Mats? What kind of a map should I have? Any accessories to get?

Shattered Sword versus anything Void (pirates, noh, black diamond) is a great learning force. Paragons are great objective grabbers (fast, good defense, and fly) while the swordsworn show off melee, range, and defensive abilities. They like cycling through the deck, so it really shows off the difference between dice and cards. Francis is interesting as well.

Ninja Division (soda pop is a part of this) has a demo team that might be able to help you out more if you want to post on the forums. Otherwise all you need are something to mark off damage (card sleeves and markers are great, and there are relic knight specific card sleeves) and measuring tapes. Everything else is part of the starter.
You do need a decent amount of terrain. For demos you don't need more than a 3x3 board... make sure you have line of sight blocking. It wouldn't be bad to have a terrain piece with crystal growth near the middle of the board... you can show off how good held esper is.
Also, leave the models either plastic (possibly with a light wash to show some details), or commit to painting them... mostly true if you prime with black paint.

You could bring some handouts with some art that points people to the site if they are interested in knowing more about the game. Otherwise a little bit of flair goes a long way... One Piece is pretty big in the anime scene (I guess?) so a sign that showcases the pirates might attract some people over to the table.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Finally bought in with a Black Diamond starter box! I've gotta say, it's impressive value for a miniature wargame; mini rulebook, esper deck, and even a pack of faction tokens in a starter box is a really good way to ease people into the game.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Welcome to the fold! As a fellow Black Diamond player, a few tips:

* Diamond Corps are not as bad as they may first seem. Don't forget that squads get +1 damage for every additional member that can see the target, and their Formation rule means they ignore members of their own squad when determining LOS. Also they're the cheapest squad in the game so don't worry about losing them!
* Leopold Magnus is a beast, but be aware that although Esper Overload looks like it'll do tons of damage to a Knight, they can spend their held esper on defenses to reduce the damage. It's still a decent way of stripping esper though.
* Magnus's AOE which removes held esper is also a horrible trick to just dump down for a turn (iirc it's Magnus that has this, it may be on Static instead. Don't have the cards to hand).
* The Tank is potentially powerful but relies on a lot of blue energy to shoot, so you'll need to save up the odd blue-green card to power it and not take purple from your other guys. Don't be afraid to hide it somewhere and Refocus with it as it can generally withstand a few hits before going down.
* Don't forget that Magnus is a Corruption and Entropy Master and that comes with a boatload of extra abilities. Also don't forget that he gives your whole force Esper Thief which is great for annoying enemy Knights when you haven't drawn quite the cards you need to shoot (or once you expand, if you are in LOS but not close enough to Melee).

For expansion options, the Diamondback is pretty tanky and easy to get in people's faces for large damage, it also works well as a distraction/threat. Remember it gets +2 armour when it's in your inactive pile and can fly. Suspect 7 is pretty useful for ferrying tokens around as one member can pick up a token and another one deposit it somewhere else (because they're still the same squad even if they act independently) which really helps the Black Diamond faction objective (transporting cargo). Not used the Dragoons yet but on paper they look pretty decent, especially with Sophia leading them.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Thanks for the advice! Magnus looks really mean when it comes to messing with enemy resources :getin: The AOE is on Magnus himself, Static's AOE just stops Cyphers from making an initial move.
I'll have a few games before I pick up more models,so I can get a feel of how all the numbers work with the card system that's used.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Crosspost from the Oath thread:

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Complete!

M1 Blitz Tank:

Jurnal is the attempt at anime/manga style cell-shading and outlining, it shows a bit better in real life (if that doesn't qualify then there's NMM on the gun barrel and exhausts too).

Diamond Corps Squad:

I quickly grew to hate these guys and the blobby details which should have been sharp, I guess it's the downside of the material/casting technique used.

I also noticed that Golden Vance with a terrible looking Minnow is out in May, along with some non pictured stuff, and it looks like Ninja Division are becoming a distributor of Secret Weapon resin bases in the right sizes, e.g http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=79_2_103

I really hope they up their game and get some decent sculptors/casting onto RK because none of the post-kickstarter stuff has looked anywhere near as good as the pre-KS metals. Then again I suppose that all their effort is currently going into their new ninja game and tentacle rape schoolgirls.

Also finally got my battlemat! (had it a while now but forgot to mention). Essentially CMON didn't bother to ship it at all, so I contacted ND, who shipped me a new one out which arrived pretty quickly. At least their customer service is good :)

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

Crosspost from the Oath thread:

I also noticed that Golden Vance with a terrible looking Minnow is out in May, along with some non pictured stuff, and it looks like Ninja Division are becoming a distributor of Secret Weapon resin bases in the right sizes, e.g http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=79_2_103

I really hope they up their game and get some decent sculptors/casting onto RK because none of the post-kickstarter stuff has looked anywhere near as good as the pre-KS metals. Then again I suppose that all their effort is currently going into their new ninja game and tentacle rape schoolgirls.

Also finally got my battlemat! (had it a while now but forgot to mention). Essentially CMON didn't bother to ship it at all, so I contacted ND, who shipped me a new one out which arrived pretty quickly. At least their customer service is good :)

Well first off, I love that tank. Black is a hard color to make looked good and the troopers and the tank look really fun and anime-ish.

I was really hoping some of the unreleased stuff for Shattered Sword would be coming out in the next few months.

My friend really regrets not getting the battlemat because he bought into the kickstarter pretty big time. Is it the mousepad material? I just ordered a 3x3 mat from Monday Knight because a guy at the lgs has one and they're pretty good but I do want one that is more sci-fi and not just green flock.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jodai posted:

My friend really regrets not getting the battlemat because he bought into the kickstarter pretty big time. Is it the mousepad material? I just ordered a 3x3 mat from Monday Knight because a guy at the lgs has one and they're pretty good but I do want one that is more sci-fi and not just green flock.

The battlemats are mousepad-esque and fold up really nice! I don't think it is the best background image, but it does the job!

Also, here is the app to play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh6mcQ2e3lE&t=95s
It looks SUPER useful and very complete. Too bad I'm a poor who doesn't have a phone/tablet/whatever to use it (unless it's for the PC/I can emulate it easily).

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
Anybody going to be playing Relic Knights at PAX East? I have yet to actually get my models on the table so I would love if people are running demo games.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Just picked up this game at Adepticon after resisting the urge from a few locals who are into it. Playing Noh and Doctrine since I got the Tycho promo for free.

Any strategies or list building stuff or is the game kinda still too new for anything but wacky "play whatever is cool" lists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

Just picked up this game at Adepticon after resisting the urge from a few locals who are into it. Playing Noh and Doctrine since I got the Tycho promo for free.

Any strategies or list building stuff or is the game kinda still too new for anything but wacky "play whatever is cool" lists?

It's been a little while since I played this but the biggest thing that is different about this game is deployment. If you deploy your objectives right, you can box opponents in or take all the high ground. Also, a full five man unit somewhere in there is good to have for objective running because of how they can spread out.

Important note, you can give up an activation to get a held esper. I didn't know the first few games and wasted resources or gave up good positions to try to get to a crystal formation.

• Locked thread