Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Problem description: Recently I have moved from Virginia to Florida and after two years of my PC working fine with a wired connection up there, my PC can't stay connected for poo poo here. It can't maintain a reliable connection on either wired or wireless. It is only my PC that this is happening with as the wireless and wired connections work fine for all of my games, laptop, phone, tablet, etc. If it can get an internet connection and it's not my PC, it works. For whatever reason it seems both Skype and Twitter have a reliable connection as I can talk to people well on Skype and Twitter updates consistently too. Most other sites though, especially Google seem to have nothing but problems with connecting.

Attempted fixes: Static IP Address, resetting my modem, unsintalling my networking drivers and reinstalling them, flushing my DNS cache, using different ethernet cables, feeding the connection through a router, turning off IPV6 switches, logging onto my modem and seeing if anything is turned on that should not be, uninstalling AVG and many other things I have been googling because I just don't what the gently caress is wrong.

Recent changes: Beyond moving I called out my ISP to send out a guy to install a splitter so I can have basic cable on my TV. I don't distinctly remember if I had this problem before the splitter was installed, I'm pretty sure it was. Also this setup with the internet is different than what I had in Virginia, where the modem there had one ethernet port so I plugged up a router into it and used that for my wireless and wired pc/games connections. This modem has four ethernet ports and I'm feeding some of my consoles into it (They are all turned off though) and my PC. It also has its own wireless connection too.

I just got a new modem installed to and the problem still persists.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-Bit

System specs: ASUS Desktop PC CM1831. Modem is an Arris TG1672 and was provided by my new ISP, Bright House. Router I tried to use for my PC instead was a Linksys E1000.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: YES

Here's my diagnostics

http://i.imgur.com/pkCrUvN.png

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Open cmd prompt and type ping 4.2.2.2 -t and let it run for a minute and see if there are any spikes or high times showing up.

Beef Waifu posted:

Modem is an Arris TG1672 and was provided by my new ISP, Bright House.

That's technically a "gateway" meaning it's a modem and a router in one device. You don't need to use a Linksys router in conjunction with that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually fixed this, it turns out that my loving startup programs were killing my connection and I narrowed down the program to Skype, lol. I turned off all of my startup programs and don't use skype on my PC right now and everything is working fine.

I feel really silly about this.

• Locked thread