Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
A few weeks ago, I had my system overlocked. I saved the bios settings as a preset.

Last week I was troubleshooting my system, and went back to bios defaults to test if the overclock was to blame. My ssd was, so I replaced it and reinstalled windows. While doing this, I noticed that my SATA operation was set to IDE, so I set it to AHCI before the install.

Yesterday I wanted to bring back my overclock, so I loaded the bios setting preset. And then Windows failed to boot. Tried repair, didn't work. Safe mode stops at classpnp.sys. Renamed that file as suggested in google searches, issue remains. Wait, this is a blue screen I'm having, what was the code?

Oh god, 0x7B. I'm an idiot, I'm all too familiar with this thanks to my job as Dell technical support. (I've moved on to server support, so it had been a while since I've dealt with this and had forgotten.) The BIOS preset has the old IDE setting, that's why.

But switching back to AHCI doesn't resolve the issue. I know from experience that sometimes just switching back doesn't fix the issue, it is like the Windows installation goes more permanently bad when you change the SATA operation and have a failed boot.

Windows repair won't even work anymore. Anyone know a way to manually resolve this? I can't boot using safe mode, so most methods I'd know to try won't work. But surely a reinstall isn't my only option?

Oh, this is Win 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Did you clear the CMOS and load the default BIOS settings?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Alereon posted:

Did you clear the CMOS and load the default BIOS settings?

Yes, doesn't help.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Please post your full system specs. You have no other drives connected, right?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Win 7 Ultimate 64
Gigabyte Intel board
Intel 2500k CPU
Boot disk is a Samsung 250GB SSD
Two 2TB HDDs

I've since disconnected the HDDs.

Problem I've been having with the repair process is getting the recover console to recognize that there is a valid Windows installation. After trying a lot of things, (I believe setting the C partition as active in diskpart was the catalyst for this), I've now moved on to a missing BOOTMGR error, and this now occurs:

If I have a BCD file in /boot, then the recovery console cannot attempt any kind of repair. Bootrec /scanos sees no Windows OS.

If I delete that BCD file, then the recovery console can attempt an automatic repair. It says it needs to repair something and restart. It immediately restarts once I do this. But this brings me back to having a BCD file that doesn't function correctly.

Or, when I have no BCD file, bootrec /scanos will see the Windows installation. I attempt bootrec /rebuildbcd. Now I'm back to having a BCD file that doesn't function.

Whether I have a BCD file or not, I get the BOOTMGR is missing error.

edit: oh my god I'm back up

Umm, I think I fixed it by copying the bootmgr from the recovery partition to the main partition. I think. I mean, I did so much more, maybe that wasn't the only thing that needed to be done?

Revol fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 10, 2014

• Locked thread