Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Were you a WCW kid or a WWF kid?
WWF all the way
WCW for life
Neither, I watched ECW
I'm Brodus Clay, I put one tv on top of the other.
View Results

• Locked thread
Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I had some notion that WCW was fake and WWF was real, so I always went with WWF. I think it might have come from turning it on once and seeing Hogan and Savage wrestling and they looked like a couple of broken down old coots. And I saw one of the punches clearly hitting air and barely any effort behind it. So WCW was fake. WWF also had better commentary, better entrance music, just better overall presentation like another poster alluded to.

In retrospect I wish I had watched WCW more cause there was some cool stuff I missed at its high point. But back then no siree I would not touch that product.

ECW I didn't understand. Lawler seemed to really hate them so I assumed I should hate them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Started out as a WCW kid in 1997 (Well, a 16 year old kid) for maybe half a year because that's what everyone was talking about. WCW had all the big names and they took it seriously like it was an actual sport. It really seemed like the major league compared to the WWF. I quickly made the permanent switch to WWF once I discovered Austin and DX. DX (the heel DX with Michaels - the only good version) was entertaining, unpredictable, had an awesome entrance, and it took over the whole show. It wasn't just one segment. It felt like DX and Austin was the show. Whenever I turned the channel to Nitro, I had this horrible feeling that I was missing something fantastic. I remember one time I was watching Nitro, then I switched back and the announcers were acting like DX murdered the Legion of Doom. I felt terrible for missing it.

The Montreal screwjob added to the excitement. Already I was confused about how much was real and fake. Clearly some people were really getting hurt. I could see them taking hard unpredicted chair shots to the face. I saw Michaels fall off a cage. I could see that his face got rammed so hard into the cage that he started bleeding and I could see that it was real blood. Who could have ever imagined that a guy would have a hidden razor and cut open his own face to put on a performance? Then with the Montreal screwjob, we have this bleeding of fiction and reality. Nothing half so interesting was happening in WCW. For all I knew at the time, that was typical of WWF and stuff like that happened every month. Perhaps wrestlers in real life hated DX so much they would refuse to lose. Maybe Shawn pissed off the Undertaker in real life that Undertaker decided to take it out on him by throwing him threw a cage.

Even though WCW still felt like the major league, WWF was just too crazy and unpredictable to ever risk switching the channel to Nitro again.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 14, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Did the Fingerpoke really turn off that many loyal WCW viewers? Like, they immediately just gave up on the show after that?

The alternative was a Kevin Nash vs Hogan match, that would have gotten them to stick around??

Well, it was the capstone to a lot of lovely booking that turned me off, and remember that they gave away the fact that the WWF was doing something really drat cool as well. Foley winning the title was a lot more interesting than Hogan being given the belt by Nash.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Even as a young kid I hated the fingerpoke of doom, and not in a good, 'oh that dastardly heel!' sort of way. I didn't stop watching but it wasn't the same after that. It just made no sense to me that Nash would lay down for Hogan. I don't remember the kayfabe explanation for it, I just remember REALLY wanting Goldberg to get the belt back, but I quit watching wrestling before he won it back (I assume he won it back at some point again before WCW went under).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Actually looked it up, and nope, that was Goldberg's only WCW title reign. He did get the title back when it was the WHC in WWE, but that was it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Burt Buckle posted:

(I assume he won it back at some point again before WCW went under).

You would assume wrong!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Burt Buckle posted:

Even as a young kid I hated the fingerpoke of doom, and not in a good, 'oh that dastardly heel!' sort of way. I didn't stop watching but it wasn't the same after that. It just made no sense to me that Nash would lay down for Hogan. I don't remember the kayfabe explanation for it, I just remember REALLY wanting Goldberg to get the belt back, but I quit watching wrestling before he won it back (I assume he won it back at some point again before WCW went under).

I remember it being all the talk at school the next day and it was pretty unanimous that kids hated it.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Did the Fingerpoke really turn off that many loyal WCW viewers? Like, they immediately just gave up on the show after that?

The alternative was a Kevin Nash vs Hogan match, that would have gotten them to stick around??

For me and my friends, it wasn't just the fingerpoke, but the next few months weren't great, and that summer of '99 was dire.

Mr.Booter
Oct 9, 2005
What?
WCW all the way during the heyday. I was a huge Lex Luger fan. The anticipation for the Sting match against Hogan, the cruiserweight division, Chris Jericho at his best, and Norman Smiley.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I was always for WCW. At that young age I was turned off by the edgier aspects of the WWF Attitude era for whatever reason, and I loved the superior in-ring product of the crusierweights and undercard. Plus I was heavy into video games and the WCW Aki/THQ games were excellent while WWF Warzone and Attitude ate butts (although Warzone had one of the first create a characters, which I loved as well.)

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Mr.Booter posted:

... and Norman Smiley.

YES! Loved that dude and the way the announcer would say his name. Big Wiggle all the way!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The silly poo poo they wrote for Norman Smiley to do was one of the only reasons to watch pre-death era WCW. I'll never forget him having hardcore matches and showing up in full football gear and hilariously dumb stuff like that.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Skunkrocker posted:

As a teen I loving loved WCW.

As an adult, what the gently caress was I thinking?

WCW's midcard was fantastic for many years. As a kid, I loved watching the Cruiserweight Division and TV Title divisions, just mid-carders doing mid-card things. I would be switching between Raw and Nitro during Nitro's poo poo main events so I got to skip parts of what made WCW so bad. Couldn't afford to miss a Taka Michinoku match just to watch a Hogan match.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
It was a bit different over here in the UK. I was really young, and WCW would show on the basic cable tv we had, after 9pm when Cartoon Network would become Turner Classic Movies. Whereas WWF was on Sky Sports which you had to pay extra to get and my family were poor. Therefore as wrestling took off and all my friends at school were enjoying the start of the Attitude era, my favourite wrestlers were Disco Inferno, Norman Smiley, Booker T and Juventud Guerrera. I think I remember liking Buff Bagwell as well, although God knows why looking back. Absolutely no-one else I knew probably even new WCW existed.

It all changed when my dad's mate down the pub got a box you could connect to your cable box that would unscramble every channel for you. Once we got that I never looked back and I remember absolutely loving watching The Rock and Sock this is your life section along with my sisters. I also remember having to sneak downstairs in the dead of night to watch the WWF PPVs which was always fun.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Follow-up question: Are you here to see... dubbya see dubbya? Or are you here to see the N... W... O.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I was very much a Hulkamaniac when I was a little kid. Lost interest for a few years when he left, instead of following him to WCW. Then I got back into it just in time to follow most of Austin's WWF career. I remember eventually hearing about Goldberg, then seeing a picture of him and thinking "pff, looks like WCW wishes they had their own Austin" and that was about as much thought as I put into WCW at the time.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

AKMoose posted:

Follow-up question: Are you here to see... dubbya see dubbya? Or are you here to see the N... W... O.

n.W.o. Wolfpack 4 lyfe, yo.

Best part was how the wife hated when I'd wear the Wolfpack n.W.o. t-shirt out in public..."its embarassing," she said...pfft.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I was a TNA kid. I'm sorry.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Dammit_Carl! posted:

n.W.o. Wolfpack 4 lyfe, yo.

Best part was how the wife hated when I'd wear the Wolfpack n.W.o. t-shirt out in public..."its embarassing," she said...pfft.

I bet she wouldn't say it was "embarassing," to 7ft Tall, 317 Pounds, a native of Detroit Michigan, his accomplishments and glory in professional wrestling make him a citizen of the world, the once member of the world tag team champions the Outsiders, the founding father of the original New World Order and the NWO Wolfpack known as the Red and Black, considered by most to be the best Big Man in the sport today, the master of the Jackknife Powerbomb, the newly crowned reigning, defending, undisputed WCW/NWO Heavyweight Champion of the WOOOOORLD, "Big Sexy," Kevin Nash.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Were you a kid? Did you appear fully grown?

Are you some sort of android?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I leaned towards the WWF because they seemed like the bigger time (plus I more or less live in WWF's traditional home territory). But I would watch any wrestling, even that promotion in 1991 that had managed to get a (horrible) pay per view show.

Even during WCW's final months I didn't mind watching the first hour of Nitro, if only for a warmup to Raw.

Senerio posted:

I was a kid during the Monday Night Wars. All my friends watched WCW (it was the nWo's prime), but I preferred WWF. I was around 5 or 6 when Kane debuted, and he was my favorite wrestler. I still remember watching old PPVs on scramble-o-vision.

I watched the 1991 Survivor Series, that following Tuesday PPV and the 1992 Rumble on scrambled PPV. I didn't do it again until 1999. After watching scrambled the two Austin-Rock main events, I decided to watch scrambled in full Over the Edge

:smithcloud:

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 19, 2014

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

When I was a kid, TNT and USA were right next to each other on the channel list, but all I knew was my friends were into "wrestling." I didn't know anything about monday night wars or dirtsheets, So when I found two wrestling shows on at the exact same time I did what came naturally. I flipped back and forth and did eenny meeny miney moe.

It landed on WCW, and thats where I stayed until the bitter end (except that one time they leaked Mick Foley was about to win the title on RAW.)

Wolfpack 4 lyfe.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
though my favorite wrestler growing up was Eddie Guerrero, I tended to, largely because of my dad (who hated WCW), watch way more WWF. needless to say I was really stoked once the Radicalz came over. I didn't have too many complaints about what my dad put on after that.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Channel 4 WWF kid.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I was a WWF kid. My first exposure to it was an episode of WWF Superstars and I think it was the last one before Wrestlemania 7. I don't remember much about it but I do remember the Berserker (then just The Viking) was in a match and so were the Nasty Boys, but that's all I can recall.

I did get to watch some WCW though, courtesy of the Power Hour, and I remember not liking it at all. I remember hating Johnny B Badd, I remember hating that Stunning Steve Austin never lost the TV title, and I remember thinking Jim Ross sounded like a dumb hick. Hindsight wasn't that sharp with me, as you can see.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Channel 4 WWF kid.

Sunday Night Heat bro what's up :respek:

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Channel 4 WWF kid.

I always liked it when the PPVs were on Channel 4 because it meant I could watch it in my room instead of sneaking downstairs to the TV with Sky Sports.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Frankston posted:

Sunday Night Heat bro what's up :respek:

Still got the tape of the 2000 Royal Rumble?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Still got the tape of the 2000 Royal Rumble?

I think I taped over it with an ice hockey game on channel five.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don't even think I was aware of WCW's existence until early 98 in high school when the Attitude Era got me back into wrestling during the Monday Night Wars . I was a red-and-yellow Hulkamaniac as a child and scared to death of The Undertaker when he debuted. I stopped watching regularly around 91 or so for some reason.

Also, I would get so mad at Saturday Night Live because I thought it was taking away SNME's from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The Sting storyline in 97 got me into wrestling. Just waiting to see what Sting would do next had me hooked. Then Austin got over and they hosed sting up so I started watch WWF but still switched channels every couple minutes between them. Thunder sucked dick and Smack down owned. I really liked D-Lo and X-pac (he was over with all the kids). Then they brought WCW and it was never the same. I watched nitro all the way to the last episode but really REALLY hated it. Especially how they treated Sting. I remember it started to bottom and ound when the Mayhem game came out. Also Russo made me change the channel every time he talked.

• Locked thread