Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
Not sure if there is a thread like this already, but I have to ask another group of human beings for help.

Years ago, a friend told me about a fantasy series he loved. I grabbed the first book at a library and made it about 3 chapters in before I got too busy and then promptly forgot all about it.

I now remember that the prologue was the saddest story I'd ever read and would love to pick this book up again.

I have no idea the what the title was and I only have a few bits of fact with which to search for it. Google has turned nothing up and local libraries here are a joke.

If you, the fine learn'd people of this forum could assist me, that would be grand.

Feel free to use this as a general "What was this book I half-assedly remember" thread if there isn't one already.

My clues:
The title was one word and was musical in nature. It was also the name of the main character I think. She is a woman.
Something like Serenade or Sonnet or Lullaby. Maybe it was an instrument? I honestly don't even know what it started with but I think it was 'S'.

The first chapter was about 2 men, also main characters. One was large and had dozens of weapons on his back, the other was thin, wore a cloak and shot razor discs out of his sleeves. One of them was silent, but I forget who.

The prologue was about a man at a desk, some sort of god I think, plucking a man from one time period and placing him in another. After getting some work and going to a festival, he falls in love and has sex with a women, who I believe is the ancestor of the main character. He is then put back in his own time and it is sad and horrid and got me very invested in a character that the whole book is, for some reason, not totally about.

I think the main character woman using music as a weapon? Or has a magical instrument?

That's all I have to go on. Help me, Book Barn, you are my only hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread