Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Can't speak for really rural America, but they are building a Cabela's near me in Tualatin Oregon.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Cabelas-brings-jobs-outdoor-goods-to-Tualatin-262804211.html

The funniest part of this new development project is that they had to tear down a local strip joint with its own storied past to build it. Jiggles was famous locally for having it's liquor license revoked, so they decide to take advantage having no real requirement to be 21 an older and made the age requirement 18 years.

Tualatin definitely isn't banking on this Cabela's being any sort of serious outdoorman Mecca. They've been taking advantage of being right on I-5 and next to Portland and building out for every kind of store imaginable. Just up the road is a Dick's Sporting Goods and an REI, and all that covers everything from fishing, to guns, to yoga pants, and on up to high end camping and sports equipment. Not to mention that across the street is a Fred Meyers, which sells plenty of Coleman and other budget outdoors supplies, along with being a grocery store that sells hotdogs and bags of ice.

So to those that say that these sort of projects will lead to these big brand stores cannibalizing each other, it is already in happening in the suburbs of Portland.

They tore jiggles down? Man, i've been out of portland a long time. That thing was like a landmark driving down I-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
As a person likely to buy such items as found in cabelas, I view those stores as entertainment attractions, like amusement parks. I do my purchasing almost exclusively online. Living in a small town or two in my life, I've seen what a big box can do to the local mom and pop places.

I have to chuckle that tezzer made a point of putting "weapons" in the title, but then goes on to complain about dioramas and waterfalls. If you want to make it a gun thread, make it a gun thread. I would have discussed big box stores in general, but I guess tezzer was just looking for an omgguns outlet since the gbs thread was gassed.

So which is it Tezzer, a thread about big box stores or a thread about guns? Hard to tell from a link and a quoted news story with zero personal thoughts in the OP you created.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 21, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Are you being facetious?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I'm guessing that when Cabela's tries to get a Texas town to subsidize their stores they probably don't exactly downplay their connection to gun rights.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Everyone in Memphis hates the pyramid and is upset about all their tax dollars going to it.

Also why is everyone ITT surprised/outraged that hunting stores sell guns?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jazerus posted:

Bass Pro Shop legitimately is a tourist attraction...for the first municipality that builds one in a region, and until they are everywhere, yeah. When I was in high school a Bass Pro opened up literally 100 miles away from my hometown and people started going there with the air that they were going to an amusement park or something. It is definitely a redneck/fisher/hunter mecca and the Bass Pro fishing tournaments are operated from some of those locations as well, so that draws in the serious crowd.

Once they're a dime a dozen then all of that goes away and all of those promises vaporize, but Bass Pro treaded carefully at first to build up a reputation as more than a big box store so as to sucker in as many places as they could once they started a big expansion push.

Exactly. Bass pro is a destination, like Disneyland for hunters/fishermen/outdoorsy people. Probably pretty stupid for a broke city like Memphis to dump all that money into, but that can't be the dumbest thing they've ever done.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fog Tripper posted:

As a person likely to buy such items as found in cabelas, I view those stores as entertainment attractions, like amusement parks. I do my purchasing almost exclusively online. Living in a small town or two in my life, I've seen what a big box can do to the local mom and pop places.

I have to chuckle that tezzer made a point of putting "weapons" in the title, but then goes on to complain about dioramas and waterfalls. If you want to make it a gun thread, make it a gun thread. I would have discussed big box stores in general, but I guess tezzer was just looking for an omgguns outlet since the gbs thread was gassed.

So which is it Tezzer, a thread about big box stores or a thread about guns? Hard to tell from a link and a quoted news story with zero personal thoughts in the OP you created.

I think it is both things. The waterfalls and dioramas are crass and overpriced and subsidized by tax money and local laws to a greater extent than the sweetheart deals that we know about Wal Mart and the like. On the other hand, they are subsidizing firearms sales (centrally and not just incidentally as is the case with Wal Mart) which is a far more controversial subsidy than a grocery or electronics store. Not to say that those subsidies are good, but they are materially different than subsidizing firearms, which most adults voluntarily do not own and a sizable percentage of the population wish were more heavily regulated. This thread, by the way, was created several days before any of the gun threads in gbs were gassed.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Tezzor posted:

but they are materially different than subsidizing firearms, which most adults voluntarily do not own and a sizable percentage of the population wish were more heavily regulated.

Not where they build Bass Pro Shops.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PuTTY riot posted:

Not where they build Bass Pro Shops.

Can you find any evidence that local referendums were taken in the majority of these cities where the people voted to subsidize these stores? And considering that each new firearms purchase funnels more money into gun lobbyists, it is a phenomenon with consequences that extend beyond just that local community.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Tezzor posted:

Can you find any evidence that local referendums were taken in the majority of these cities where the people voted to subsidize these stores? And considering that each new firearms purchase funnels more money into gun lobbyists, it is a phenomenon with consequences that extend beyond just that local community.

Do you honestly believe that were they not there selling firearms to customers, those customers would be at a loss as to where else to buy a firearm? Really? Do you get as bent out of shape about walmart selling tobacco and supermarkets selling alcohol and drugs?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fog Tripper posted:

Do you honestly believe that were they not there selling firearms to customers, those customers would be at a loss as to where else to buy a firearm? Really? Do you get as bent out of shape about walmart selling tobacco and supermarkets selling alcohol and drugs?

Or Walmart selling firearms.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

Touche.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Fog Tripper posted:

Actually that's the criticism of subsidizing retail chains in the first place. Feel free to read the thread but that might impede the gunchat you were looking to have.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fog Tripper posted:

Do you honestly believe that were they not there selling firearms to customers, those customers would be at a loss as to where else to buy a firearm? Really?

No, and I don't have the foggiest idea where you got that from. Seriously, please note where in the post you were replying to anything like that was even implied. He said that the people there don't consider gun ownership controversial. I asked if there was evidence that they voted to grant these subsidies and pointed out there were greater consequences to the world outside of that community. You asked if I thought that nobody would be able to buy firearms if these stores weren't there. Of course not. What moon logic led you to even imagine this question?

quote:

Do you get as bent out of shape about walmart selling tobacco and supermarkets selling alcohol and drugs?

If they were being subsidized by law and taxes to the same extent and building extravagant Cigarette Libraries on the public dime, sure.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

computer parts posted:

To be fair, Walmart doesn't sell semi-automatic weapons.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
And to be fair, this article isn't really about them selling guns in the first place so please please please don't poo poo up a thread with Gun Chat.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Tezzor posted:

I doubt there was a referendum; almost no area has a referendum on this sort of subsidy. Where'd you get the idea that he thought there was one? I can see how you think the politicians subverted the will of the people (and I think if this was put to an honest vote in those areas, it'd fail in a lot of them), but that's not what he said.

This seems rather unrelated to the fact that the residents in these areas tend to be strongly pro-gun and likely would not see the building of a Bass Pro as controversial (aside from the subsidy aspect).

As far as "funneling money into gun lobbyists"; yes, buying a product does tend to fund lobbyists for that industry. This really doesn't show far-ranging consequences that are in any way different from literally any other even slightly controversial product (oil, cigarettes, liquor, cars, motorcycles, etc). Now, you can certainly argue that industry lobbying is a corrosive force in general (and I'd largely agree), but why does Bass Pro's lobbying have special, far-reaching consequences that Exxon's doesn't?

Radbot posted:

Pretty sure they do, unless something's changed (note: I haven't been inside a walmart in a while). IIRC Walmart even had Ruger make an exclusive 10/22 variant for them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Colt-M4-Rifle/21568784

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Well, I was wrong. I haven't lived in a state with firearm-selling Walmarts in awhile now, but when I did, I never saw weapons like those.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Strange, when you do a search for firearms, they really really don't want to show you the good stuff, only BB and pellet guns. Are they checking your IP address to show search results?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Yes I'm a filthy gunhaver but I assure you I'm here solely because I love Tezzy and the hilarity his lies and question dodging leads to.

No one gives a gently caress, take your little slap fight somewhere else because it's not really relevant. This isn't a GunChat thread it's a "big business is loving small town america left right and center" thread. This is just a particularly absurd, bordering-on-parody example of a broader trend. And that fact doesn't render the initial example unimportant, or not useful.

Okay? Cool.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

KaiserBen posted:

As far as "funneling money into gun lobbyists"; yes, buying a product does tend to fund lobbyists for that industry. This really doesn't show far-ranging consequences that are in any way different from literally any other even slightly controversial product (oil, cigarettes, liquor, cars, motorcycles, etc). Now, you can certainly argue that industry lobbying is a corrosive force in general (and I'd largely agree), but why does Bass Pro's lobbying have special, far-reaching consequences that Exxon's doesn't.

It doesn't have particularly special consequences when compared to Exxon. You are requiring it to have special consequences in order to justify criticism. That is nonsense.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
As taxpayer-funded boondoggles go, at least Cabela's is a destination. There are usually only a few per state, and people will drive for a hundred miles to get to one. Then boom, you've got motel stays, park and permit fees, shopping center business etc. It makes sense even though it's just another example of funneling public money to private pockets.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

As taxpayer-funded boondoggles go, at least Cabela's is a destination. There are usually only a few per state, and people will drive for a hundred miles to get to one. Then boom, you've got motel stays, park and permit fees, shopping center business etc. It makes sense even though it's just another example of funneling public money to private pockets.

I've been to a Cabela's, before I knew it was a taxpayer money pit. It is a big place with a nice selection of stuff and an extravagant decor. It is a sporting goods store. It is not a waterpark or a Six Flags or a zoo. How many people really are willing to drive hundreds of miles and stay overnight to visit a sporting goods store? How many people are willing to do that more than, like, twice? How much more money are they spending at Cabela's than they would be spending at local sporting goods stores?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Pyramid being turned into a Bass Pro shop here in Memphis has to be one of the most bizarre things. I certainly was not expecting it. I expected it to become some sort of arena or convention center or, if not that, be torn down. Certainly wasn't expecting a fishing goods store.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

SedanChair posted:

I would love to see anything more than anecdotal evidence demonstrating the positive local economic impact of subsidized Cabela's :allears:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

pig slut lisa posted:

I would love to see anything more than anecdotal evidence demonstrating the positive local economic impact of subsidized Cabela's :allears:

Then you're obviously ill-suited to local politics :allears::allears::allears:

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Strange, when you do a search for firearms, they really really don't want to show you the good stuff, only BB and pellet guns. Are they checking your IP address to show search results?

No, Walmart a while ago stopped showing firearm related stuff because people were using their website and inventory system to make Walmart a wholesaler of sorts. When people were panic buying ammo and guns they were using the inventory system to grab ammo as soon as it came into the store and reselling it. It did and still pisses off people that work 9-5's and couldn't get ammo at walmart (which didn't raise it's prices in response to demand). Firearm stuff won't show up in searches but if you have the UPC's or other ID's you can look them up.

Honestly this thread boggles my mind. Firearms are such a small portion of their business. If they're getting tax breaks sure it's a subsidy of sorts, but they still have to outlay the cash to get the inventory which is going to be in the same realm as the cost to build the building.

Maybe in ammo the big boxes are prominent players, but not in firearms. I know locally shops that do multiples more business in guns that didn't get any incentives to build.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Stanos posted:

And to be fair, this article isn't really about them selling guns in the first place so please please please don't poo poo up a thread with Gun Chat.

Apologies. I read Why are our taxes subsidizing extravagant corporate weapons retailers? as "firearms" when tezzer clearly meant pocket knives and baseball bats.

xwing posted:

No, Walmart a while ago stopped showing firearm related stuff because people were using their website and inventory system to make Walmart a wholesaler of sorts. When people were panic buying ammo and guns they were using the inventory system to grab ammo as soon as it came into the store and reselling it. It did and still pisses off people that work 9-5's and couldn't get ammo at walmart (which didn't raise it's prices in response to demand).

Yeah, this still is a pretty big issue in my area. Odd thing is that ammo for the most evil looking and targeted firearms (AR15s) are gathering dust on the shelves, while simple .22 ammo is almost guaranteed to not even make it as far as the display before being scooped up and resold for stupid profits.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Spazzle posted:

We probably should just have a thread talking about strong towns. The scope of the problems they discuss encompass this thread and all of the lovely ways our towns have been loving themselves for 50 years.

I used to live north of Leesburg VA, around the time that Disney wanted to plop a park (civil war themed) just south of it. The project got so much negative feedback from the area that it never happened. A few years later things must have changed, either opinions of residents or local gov. I had moved back north a few years and while I was gone a massive amount of urban sprawl pretty much ruined the whole area. Walmarts, multiple home improvement warehouses, etc and the low quality housing that was tossed up asap. Really was sad.

I am now in a small town similar to "old" leesburg here in Utah and I shudder when I hear about big plans the planning commission entertains.

• Locked thread