Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
These changes are quite frightening...

Just made my first failed run in a long time, starting from the Cathedral and making it all the way down to the Warlocks, but going down to the soldier twice on the way down, and losing while only about halfway through the Warlocks' health.

Yes, plural. And the second one seems to have a heck of a lot of armor. He's pretty big. Don't know what level to capture, didn't have any mana.

There's also several new monsters roaming about, including one who gets his own shrine-like space when he appears; he's not exactly miniboss material like The Jackal and Paganini, but he does have a few floaty tricks up his sleeve.

Earlier, someone asked about the level to capture the Warlock, and I answered 70, but while I was looking at the Steam forum, a dev posted a list that said the Warlock's capture level was 60. I know for a fact it was 70 when I grabbed him, so perhaps he's been bumped down to 60 while the new Warlock is taking the 70 slot.

Gonna try again, not starting from the Cathedral this time; the changes they made and the brand new enemies have made even the normal mode quite a bit tougher.

EDIT: Just got all the way through, the old Warlock still shows level 70, and the new Warlock didn't have a number pop up, and I wasn't using my level 70 character to see if he had the same level.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010
I've beaten the old Warlock a few times and the new one once with my Ghost Monk. The 3 new enemies really help vary the encounters now.

I'm wondering if they have anything planned down the road where talking to the strumming skeleton could dispense a Jackal fight instead of XP, chests become mimics, (this was mentioned by a dying guard but I have yet to find one) and maybe adding the ability to use a health potion on the dying guards to recruit them and/or receive better loot off them.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

This Charming Man posted:

I'm wondering if they have anything planned down the road where talking to the strumming skeleton could dispense a Jackal fight instead of XP, chests become mimics, (this was mentioned by a dying guard but I have yet to find one) and maybe adding the ability to use a health potion on the dying guards to recruit them and/or receive better loot off them.

Somewhere on their official forums a dev mentioned that mimics are planned for a later mask-break-whatever, at least.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Holy poo poo, they keep allowing these lunatics to make games? I hadn't heard a damned thing about this, I had simply randomly clicked on Zeno Clash 2's entry in Steam and saw the news post. It's gorgeous, the music sounds like an amazing blend of Zeno Clash weirdness with Castlevania gothic pomp, and the idea of these guys with their focus on deep and interesting martial combat making a side-scrolling platformer is ridiculously inviting. Plus a "full price" purchase of $14.99 is easy, compared to Dark Souls 2 (obviously I'm not saying DS2 wasn't worth it, but before Serious Sam 3 I hadn't bought a game at launch for at least a decade). I'd comment on the thread, but it sounds like even more than any other ACE Team game discovery is vital to the experience, so I won't read any of it until I'm pretty deep in.

Yeah, okay, I just decided ACE Team are my favourite developers working today.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I didn't enjoy Rock of Ages too much, but yeah I'm all for Ace getting more money / crazy projects.

I have an issue involving Paganini. So I met him yesterday and accepted his offer and later on defeated him. However his Journal Page fell on an Alter next to a weapon that my character couldn't use. So I could only select the weapon or edit my abilities, not the scroll. So does anyone know if the scroll comes back when you face Paganini again if you don't pick it up? Do Scrolls still exist if not picked up or is it one chance only.

Also I got really far yesterday, unlocked some more secrets and wrecking shop with the new characters. Then I got stomped by the Living Creature. That thing is nuts.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Okay, this is solid. Not as weird as I'd like it to be, but I'm intrigued by the story and the handful of lines of dialogue between Katrien and the Warlock's illusions, and I have a lot of fun with the fighting. Has anyone ever beaten the Warlock's illusions with a soldier? Meaning you enter the last level as a soldier, then dash to the left while you're heading down to avoid the altar. They just start fighting, so I suspect that if you win it'll just drop you straight back into dream land and then the top levels with the soldier, which would be funny in itself. Hm, there aren't any places in the top levels where your character responds to a line, are there?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I haven't entered the Warlock fight with a soldier, but I have died down there, swapped to the soldier, and then won. You just turn back into your hero character and go through the ending normally.

As to the other point, the only other place I can think of that you might get unique dialogue out of a soldier is when you talk to Paganini, since heroes do say "I know your game" etc. after the first time you've met him.

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010
New patch v. 1.05 is out!

Fixes / changes include:

- Fixed client not saving progress in online sessions.
- Added option to resume the game after exiting a session*.
- Fixed random occurrence of player being unable to move after being resurrected.
- Hulk boss will sometimes avoid attacking players already engaging the Warlock boss (single-player).
- Enemies have a slight delay before engaging the player after the current target is knocked out or grabbed.
- Spiders and caterpillars use climb animations at 90 degree turns.
- Music doesn't cut off at the final boss level (descent section).

(*) Game will not save progress at the final boss level to avoid exploits.

Note: This update also includes additional content for the next mask phase (not described in the change list).

Being able to resume between sessions is a great addition that should encourage more noncommittal playtime. Thank God they got rid of that jarring "snapping" of the spiders and caterpillars when they hit those 90 degree angles.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I just finished a two hour play session where I almost defeated the Boss and exited to find this update waiting...

No regrets though. Bring on more masks! :black101:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I haven't entered the Warlock fight with a soldier, but I have died down there, swapped to the soldier, and then won. You just turn back into your hero character and go through the ending normally.

As to the other point, the only other place I can think of that you might get unique dialogue out of a soldier is when you talk to Paganini, since heroes do say "I know your game" etc. after the first time you've met him.

They don't get any dialogue.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Trip report for 1.05:

The new mask has brought on many changes, all of them leading to a tougher new game. While I haven't beaten the Warlock yet (getting closer), they've found a way of making him much tougher it seems. Here are some photos showing the new content:

The new Mask takes its place on top of all the alters and the book:

New enemies (I think they're new) have some stronger attacks:

:darksouls: centaur! They have a really strong downward strike with a decent range.

The golden armoured skeletons are crazy fast and throw their armour as a ranged attack.

This one is weird, it seems to drain life from it's targets, but are extremely weak.

The new Warlock vs the old.

The new mask in the final boss level fires energy bolts at you.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the hell does Pincoya's Jelly Fish do? How do I fight effectively?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Turtlicious posted:

What the hell does Pincoya's Jelly Fish do? How do I fight effectively?

From what I've heard, you fight effectively by not using the jellyfish. It's a weak projectile in your first special move, and it can also circle around where it is and hurt things. Your reach and keepaway are better served by regular moves and the halberd specials.

PowerBeard posted:

:darksouls: centaur! They have a really strong downward strike with a decent range.

That's the Pudataur Knight, literally a big armored version of the previous deer centaur enemy. Where the regular pudataur is a fast, mobile fighter, the Knight is a real heavy hitter, with a Ghost Monk style rushing attack and a wicked multi-hit uppercut as some of its specials, alongside the aforementioned normal strikes.

PowerBeard posted:

The golden armoured skeletons are crazy fast and throw their armour as a ranged attack.

That's actually the Mimic! They're in now! I haven't seen them in the wild yet, I bought the soul off the shopkeeper instead. They may move fast like the Skeleton Warrior, but they don't really have much combo potential off their normal moves or cancels, and their throw is both slow to grab and too low to combo from. Lucky them their specials are so good. Neutral special throws the armor straight forward, up special throws it in a diagonal, but the down special throws the armor forward, then the mimic leaps to the armor instead of calling it back, for a good way to close in on, or escape from, enemies.

PowerBeard posted:

This one is weird, it seems to drain life from it's targets, but are extremely weak.

That's another weird floating-type enemy it seems, like the guy in the straw hat who's sleeping under the Warlock arena. I haven't left one alive long enough to be attacked directly by it, but I have noticed their other effect: every enemy in the encounter gets a purple shield around them; it breaks easily but I think enemies don't stun or take damage while they have it.

PowerBeard posted:

The new mask in the final boss level fires energy bolts at you.

You can attack the energy field surrounding the mask, and it'll react, but I don't think it can be destroyed or disabled. Or maybe I just need to hit it more. :black101:

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010
Made it to the new Warlock last night but had no extra potions and an Acolyte soul. Needless to say I got my poo poo pushed in. Also, 3 out of 4 locked chests spawned a mimic during that run which did me no favors.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Patch v1.07 is out now:

Ace Team posted:

Fixes / improvements include:

• Enemies can parry! Enemies have higher chances of parrying attacks that are used too often, forcing players to use a wider repertoire of attacks.
  • Fixed loss of controls when framerate drops under 10 FPS.
  • Fixed save issues with enemy soul items.
  • Fixed game not saving at town areas (player is spawned to void level in next session).
  • Fixed non-progression when saving in Verbum Dei map.
  • Resolved non-progression when killing both final bosses simultaneously.
  • Phantom fades out properly when dying.
  • Journal page 9 is now dropped by Tirana NPC.
  • Tweaked some health and damage values in versus mode: centaur, mimic and soldiers.
  • Removed boss mask shield particle that was persisting in between levels.
  • Reduced final boss mask health.
  • Increased final boss mask projectile damage.

This game is getting better and better each time I go back in. I managed to beat the game again with the Monk and noticed that the latest mask has a good bit of damage to it. We might very well see a change in a month or two's time.

I'm actually missing Page 8 of the Journal, so does anyone have any ideas how I'll be able to pick that one up?

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010
Wow, I just had two amazing back-to-back runs. Nearly all of the gear I bought or found was a natural progression from what my Monk had previously equipped. I had a 9% chance to deflect all damage from an attack back to an enemy (up from the Lucky Rabbit's foot that had 6% chance to dodge an attack), 20% extra EXP gained from each fallen enemy (versus lovely LVL. 1 Ice Resistance), a bracelet with +50% curse resistance, -50% towards curse cooldown, and +25% weapon damage (up from +25% curse resistance, -25% curse cooldown, and +15% weapon damage) and a Voladora (armless bird) soul. The Hulk Warlock alter-ego went down with ease, and the Warlock and Mask were a joke.

I tried my luck with a follow-up run and chose the hardest starting point and encountered the Living Creature! I'd only fought it once before with my underpowered Katrien so I knew a little bit about his attack patterns. I not only defeated the huge bastard but captured his soul, getting me the Lion Tamer and Dream Master cheevos. Then the rest of the second run with Living Creature's soul couldn't have gone better - more than half of the fallen soldiers gave me health potions, the dream sequences handed me great souls like the Burning Mummey and Mimic, and to cap it all off, the destructive force of the Living Creature was on my side. The only time I transformed back into the Monk was to deplete my Mana bar to gather some of the souls that were released in the last big Mask Phase update.

What I'm saying is, get the Living Creature's soul for at least one run. It owns bones :colbert:

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
The Living Creature is alright, but the time I ran through with him, my problem was getting caught in small spaces and surrounded. He wrecks poo poo but can only take so much punishment in return. Verbum Dei, on the other hand, is really good at preventing enemies from getting in close.

If Versus mode ever goes online, we'll have to see how a clash between the two would go.

PowerBeard posted:

I'm actually missing Page 8 of the Journal, so does anyone have any ideas how I'll be able to pick that one up?

I actually don't remember how I got any of the pages but 9, I got them all in only a few runs. Based on 8's content, you might want to specifically hunt Camahuetos, but I don't know that that's the actual way.

EDIT: Talking about Versus mode made me realize that nobody's ever gonna play it, so I went in and took pictures, since the game's art direction still carries through.

This level seems to be on top of a set of arches near the plaza that serves as the first hub. While the arena's layout is very simple, I like the buildings you can see in the background.

This one gives a better view of the cable car tracks and the streets behind the arena.

Next is... well, the cathedral, with the same layout from the battle arena rooms, minus the black-and white. And plus some traps on the walls; I imagine an enterprising combatant could knock their opponent into the spikes for some extra damage at the end of a combo.

The same goes for the pendulum blades in the top walls.

The final arena is based on the caves. A small central platform, and lava pits on both sides.

Each pit has a platform in the middle, and a moving platform above that slides into a hole in the wall, so you can't count on it always being there to save you.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 10, 2014

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Look's like the game is on Midweek Sale, so here is the latest patch note for V1.10

ACE Team posted:

Fixes / improvements include:

• Online PvP mode is out! Online versus supports two player matches. Players that create an online game can wait for clients while fighting AI random mateches.
  • Improved overall net code to reduce lag and better replicate combat systems.
  • Updated local versus mode to support teams and included the ability to select AI opponents.
  • Updated combat mechanics with numerous improvements:
    -Ability to transform in between characters mid air or during combos. Transformation occurs faster but now requires using a cancel point.
    -Improved turning mechanics. Smoother interpolations and character can change directions with no pauses.
    -Recalibrated knockout weights to better support combos. Heavy enemies can now also fall into combos. Training dummy knockback is identical to all light characters.
    -Improved character encroaching collision dynamics to avoid characters from intersecting during attacks.
    -Fixed input bug related to throws.
    -Minor calibration/tweaks specific to some characters.
  • Tweaked NPC parrying AI.
  • Fixed performance issue with AI path finding.
  • Polytrails for weapon special attacks use a brighter VFX.
  • Introduced a new tile in plant world.
  • Added 2 new achievements.
  • Introduced new elements which will unlock after the current seal is destroyed.

Since this update is rather significant compared with previous patches we expect some level of issues to arise (which should be addressed shortly after this release if any should exist).

I'm reinstalling now to see what the improvements are like compared to the last one. Hopefully the seal will have been broken by then.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Also they finally, actually released a patch for the PS3 (I don't know about XBOX). I was totally surprised because I figured they were just going to abandon the console releases forever.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Bought this today and played a few hours(3 runs, no warlock yet). Ghost Monk is ridiculous. I got a couple questions though.

- Any recommendations on what to upgrade on skills first(after maxing move cancel)? The interrupt shield seems really useful, and the mana increase seems pretty useless. Also there's infinite respecs right so I can experiment?

- Curse is a slow right? That's the only weapon type I haven't gotten to try yet.

- Is the max slots in your inventory 4? Is there a way to upgrade it?

- What happens if you fight the shopkeeper?

Also I had a weird thing happen that ended my last run. I went through a side door to what I thought was a boss room(had the skull icon on the map) but when I went through the entire floor was that black void stuff and I couldn't progress. And since you can't go back through a door I was forced to suicide myself into it to get out. Did I need a special ability or something? Was it a bug? Is it a trap?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 15, 2014

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
1. I pretty much always go for 1 shield upgrade for the interrupt protection and two power upgrades, but that's just me. You might want to stack mana on a move that doesn't put you in a lot of danger, since collecting enemy souls and playing as them is handy for the effective second health bar they give you.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, no.

4. He kicks your rear end unless you know what you're getting yourself into. He's a very speedy enemy, like the Skeleton Warrior, but he can also take quite a bit of punishment. That said, defeating him is worth a lot of EXP, so getting a level and health refill might make fighting him worth it.

5. I'd have to see a screenshot to know exactly what happened to you here. Are you sure there weren't jellyfish or land a bit offscreen? There shouldn't be any sideways doors that are a "trap", though they do sometimes have the area's damaging floor effect right on the other side. So, maybe a bug, maybe you should have jumped farther.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think I remember seeing a jellyfish but they were way too far away to get to.

EDIT: Has the Warlock gotten harder since release? I barely managed to kill the big guy with the axe soldier then got stunlocked because of the mask shooting fireballs. I don't get how so many people were beating him on their 2nd or 3rd try.

Also cancelling out of being juggled seems super unreliable.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 16, 2014

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Well, that kind of depends on who you're controlling. Did you try a full double jump and then air dodge or aerial special attack? If you can see a jellyfish, you ought to be able to reach it.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
New seal! Super spooky Halloween one at that. Sightings:

Pumpkins. Lots of pumpkins.

New floating-type enemy, this one with a white robe and a crown. If you leave him alone too long, he'll possess another enemy, majorly buffing their reaction and their health.

Skull/pumpkin-masked Warlock.

This guy.

He's called the "Golem" by the new achievement, and he's got a special boss room like Verbum Dei. He fights with a giant hammer and strange energy fields. When I tried to capture him, the level requirement just read "LV ∞", but he may have been in a special state while near death. I've only fought him once so far, I'll have to run through again and see if he can be captured or not. There's one new space for an enemy soul, and it's either the Golem or Pumpkin-masked Warlock, who trades the fish stream for a Burning Mummy style bouncing fireball, which might make him count as a different character.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Oh, weird. Golem is actually a Zeno Clash character.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Mercury_Storm posted:

Also they finally, actually released a patch for the PS3 (I don't know about XBOX). I was totally surprised because I figured they were just going to abandon the console releases forever.

What does the patch have in it? I haven't seen anything on XBox.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Oblivion4568238 posted:

He's called the "Golem" by the new achievement, and he's got a special boss room like Verbum Dei. He fights with a giant hammer and strange energy fields. When I tried to capture him, the level requirement just read "LV ∞", but he may have been in a special state while near death. I've only fought him once so far, I'll have to run through again and see if he can be captured or not. There's one new space for an enemy soul, and it's either the Golem or Pumpkin-masked Warlock, who trades the fish stream for a Burning Mummy style bouncing fireball, which might make him count as a different character.

Golem is from Zeno Clash. The only way unlock him is to own either Zeno Clash 2 or the Abyss Odyssey Soundtrack. You can use him if someone else drops him for you in co-op but it'll only last for that run.

Don't worry if you don't have him, I don't think you're missing much. I haven't played him during a proper run yet but I played around a little in training mode and his moveset doesn't seem very good. Also the boss fight is super easy.

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

RatHat posted:

Golem is from Zeno Clash. The only way unlock him is to own either Zeno Clash 2 or the Abyss Odyssey Soundtrack. You can use him if someone else drops him for you in co-op but it'll only last for that run.

Don't worry if you don't have him, I don't think you're missing much. I haven't played him during a proper run yet but I played around a little in training mode and his moveset doesn't seem very good. Also the boss fight is super easy.

Yeah in. My first sucessfull run I had lots of min boss encounters and with him I wrecked him really quickly(although I got owned first time I encountered him) although if you don't interrupt him he can do lots damage.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Played a bit of Golem, he's okay. His normals have crazy reach but are pretty slow. His specials are eh and I'm not even sure what his up-special does. He has a lot of health I guess.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Opposing Farce posted:

Oh, weird. Golem is actually a Zeno Clash character.

I kind of freaked out a bit when I saw him for the first time. Boy, was I glad he didn't have his Zeno Clash power of hurting everyone by hurting himself, then I speared the chump, he's really easy to control.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
There hasn't been any word from the devs about any future updates / seals just yet, but they did link a pretty decent / amazing combo video on their Steam Page:

Abyss Odyssey Combos by ZDWario

The most I've managed to pull of was an 8 combo with one of the poison / fire zombies, but that was pure haphazard button mashing.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 17, 2014

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy
I just bought this recently on PS3. I'm at level 70, and when I use capture on the warlock and then defeat him, he drops his soul, but since I defeated him I instantly lose the ability to control my character, so I have no way of picking up the soul never mind transforming into him. Anyone playing this on PS3 able to actually capture the warlock successfully? It's driving me nuts.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Briantist posted:

I just bought this recently on PS3. I'm at level 70, and when I use capture on the warlock and then defeat him, he drops his soul, but since I defeated him I instantly lose the ability to control my character, so I have no way of picking up the soul never mind transforming into him. Anyone playing this on PS3 able to actually capture the warlock successfully? It's driving me nuts.

Sounds like PS3 doesn't have the opened seals updates. Presently in the PC you fight the Warlock along with another boss, and after you take out either his altar comes to life and the combat doesn't end until you break it, so there is plenty of opportunity for capturing both souls before finishing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

ZearothK posted:

Sounds like PS3 doesn't have the opened seals updates. Presently in the PC you fight the Warlock along with another boss, and after you take out either his altar comes to life and the combat doesn't end until you break it, so there is plenty of opportunity for capturing both souls before finishing the game.
That's probably the case then, that sucks. Thanks!

• Locked thread