Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Pierson posted:

Just so we're clear Mark was the one generally responsible for the huge fuckup Firefall turned into right? Or was that someone else and Mark ducked out early before the fire turned into an inferno?

The dude spends hours a day posting hentai and ranting about feminism on Twitter. I think it's safe to assume he was part of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'd really love to see a good post mortem on this game.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The Mark Kern era is when Firefall had solid gameplay, but no direction and depth. Basically think of Red5 as CIG and Mark Kern as Chris Roberts. Firefall is the end game for Star Citizen.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

He should just buy back the license and make FF great again.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
There's no way The9 is giving/selling it back to him, and no one'll work on it again anyway.

Gonna wear my Red 5 letterman jacket again for the holidays :) The one time a year I'm not in SoCal and all of my swag from the new studio are like tees and bowling shirts.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I have the Firefall promo poster hanging on my desk at work. Sometimes someone will ask what it's about and I have to tell them I paid $100 for a digital motorcycle and a hat.

At least the hat still works.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, Mark was both the savior and killer of Firefall, he was able to secure funding for the project letting it continue on when the studio was running short of cash but then started spending it going multimedia studio route as Eight said and while the systems got fleshed out the story went nowhere.

Always depressing because the base game was great till they started remaking it constantly it just needed tons more content for people to do outside constantly dropping thumpers.

Christopher
May 29, 2006
http://massivelyop.com/2017/01/06/firefall-the-dead-game-that-wont-die/

quote:

"Hello, we have found that our datacenter is having critical issues and all services including the website and game are impacted. We hope to have everything back online ASAP."

I was under the impression the servers had been shut down permanently. Apparently they're up and running. Anyone actually still playing this?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

"drat guys, I was on vacation and the servers went down, give me a break I'm like the only person left in here"

Christopher
May 29, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

"drat guys, I was on vacation and the servers went down, give me a break I'm like the only person left in here"

This doesn't seem to be too far from the truth. :doh:

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
More like it took them a while to hire a contractor to do that one time fix.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This is literally the case. Outside of 1-2 folks from The9 nobody is left, and I'm not certain that the folks from The9 are still there.

Inimicul posted:

More like it took them a while to hire a contractor to do that one time fix.

Considering their history of not paying people it's more likely they're trying to skip on their amazon bill.

Christopher
May 29, 2006
Has anyone tried logging in? I don't have it installed but I'm sort of curious to know if people are actually still playing this.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Christopher posted:

Has anyone tried logging in? I don't have it installed but I'm sort of curious to know if people are actually still playing this.

http://steamcharts.com/app/227700

32.8 average players in December. 116 peak in that month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Inimicul posted:

http://steamcharts.com/app/227700

32.8 average players in December. 116 peak in that month.

wow, that's enough to make a single shard feel like it's might not be totally empty.

• Locked thread