Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Griddle is a good idea if you're going to do it a lot. I don't have one so when I've made Hiroshima okonomiyaki I end up using two pans and it's a pain in the rear end. Also prepare for a huge mess.

Worth it though.

If you're still there when you read this and haven't been yet, go to Lopez. He makes a great one and tequila with your jalapeno okonomiyaki is luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My mom wants to learn how to cook ramen. I got her a ramen cookbook, and I also want to get her stuff for ramen that might be hard to source at her regular grocery stores, HEB and Trader Joes. I've already got a bottle of mirin, is there anything else I should add to this ramen starter kit?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Gripweed posted:

My mom wants to learn how to cook ramen. I got her a ramen cookbook, and I also want to get her stuff for ramen that might be hard to source at her regular grocery stores, HEB and Trader Joes. I've already got a bottle of mirin, is there anything else I should add to this ramen starter kit?

Bonito flakes and konbu maybe if making the dashi? Most other ramen stuff I assume is easily sourced at most grocery stores like sesame oil, scallions, etc.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

How about noodles? If she doesn’t plan on making her own or wants to use something other than instant noodles.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

buy her a pressure cooker, nice deep ramen bowls, a nice fine strainer like a chinois

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Gripweed posted:

Mirin, various nice soy sauces, katsuobushi, niboshi, kombu, dried shiitake, MSG if she's into that, that fat separator cup from Oxo, individual noodle strainers, big soup strainers, big stock pots are all super useful things to have.

This is still basically the best one-stop English language ramen making resource you're gonna get out there, definitely worth sending it to her. It really goes into great detail on all the different components (and also clearly illustrates how much work ramen is)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qLPoLxek3WLQJDtU6i3300_0nNioqeYXi7vESrtNvjQ/edit?usp=sharing

I guess I didn't post it here yet, but I did a 50 person ramen pop up at my friend's event last weekend and I was really happy with how things turned out. It was a chicken and pork chintan/katsuo and saba dashi double soup, shoyu tare, negi and niboshi infused chicken fat, with noodles from a local craft noodle producer and the normal ramen toppings. I bought a pack of dehydrated menma when I was last in Japan and rehydrated and seasoned it myself as well.

In the frenzy of all the prep I did leading up to the event, I forgot to order bowls so my friend had to go to Costco and just get whatever they had lol

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 15, 2023

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Good luck getting through to a parent of our age about msg, my mom was legit aghast when she saw it in my cupboard

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Keto Ramen.

RFC
Nov 3, 2002
I made takoyaki in my takoyaki griddle, it was awesome.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

RFC posted:

pics or it didn’t happen

Development
Jun 2, 2016

been cooking from Rintaro's cookbook (a beautiful book, must buy).

oden:

beef curry rice

hanetsuki gyoza

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

All of that looks amazing. I love Oden but it's a hard dish to make photogenic. Looks so good though

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Question:

What's the actual difference between nanami togarashi and shichimi togarashi?

I know it's the amount of orange peel, but I've found 2 different sources that make exactly opposite claims - one says nanami uses less orange peel than shichimi, while the other source says it uses more.

Which is the correct statement?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Nana and shichi are just alternate readings of 七 (seven)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

AnonSpore posted:

Nana and shichi are just alternate readings of 七 (seven)

Yes, as they contain the same spice blend.

But apparently the ratio is different, and that affects the flavor.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had no idea there was a difference, I've just bought whichever was available and never noticed.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I would be really surprised if there was a "standard" ratio at all, let alone two distinct yet standardized ratios that map to the two different pronunciations of 七. IIRC even which 7 spices are components can occasionally change by region/restaurant/home recipe.

e: to be extra clear, nana/なな and shichi/しち are the two ways to pronounce 七 in general in Japanese, that difference isn't specific to the spice blend or anything, it's inherent to the number/character.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 16, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Ok, I was confused because I found 2 different products from the same brand (S&B), one labeled nanami and one labeled shichimi.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yep that's just an English translation/Romanization issue. If you look at the Japanese on both of those, the characters are identical. (That might be a little hard to see since the "shichimi" one is written in a scripty/brushstroke style... and the "shichimi" one also is written vertically and right-to-left, while the "nanami" one is written left-to-right on one line, but they really do have the identical characters 七味唐からし.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

RFC posted:

Speaking of takoyaki, is there a place to order frozen for delivery?

I found one site, but they're a wholesaler and only sell to businesses. Another one I found sells to the public, but doesn't appear to want to ship to my area.