Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I never understood why a genre that's about exploration always has rushing through everything to get the best ending be a hallmark in the series. True games based on exploring and unlocking areas like Riven and Myst never have you rush through the game to get to the ending. Exploration is all about taking your time. And it seems the Genre is mostly just based on two games Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night. Metroid 1 and 2 were clunky as all hell and you couldn't even fire diagonally and are mostly regarded as really clunky games just like the pre-SOTN Castlevanias. And all further 2D sequels for Metroid and castlevania only seem to be able to pay tribute to Super Metroid and SOTN but never seem to surpass it. Metroid Fusion was the last non-remake 2d Metroid we got and that's been over 12 years ago.

Honestly probably the only recent good example of the genre would be Guacamelee!, mostly because everything about it is exploration based. It certainly beats out the recent castlvanias because it cuts out all the extra bullshit that weighed down the genre. I mean you wouldn't think Side Quests would work that well in a plattformer, but they do and entice you to go out of your way to find everything in the world itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Did you just compare Metroid to Myst?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Single player games is a drat bore, OP, so sometimes having a time limit makes it more epic.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
i thought valdis story was better than guacamelee although its kinda unfinished and has some weird stuff

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kazvall posted:

Did you just compare Metroid to Myst?

Two games that heavily involve endless backtracking

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I really wish my car could just take off and fly away, too.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I always felt like it gave a reward to speedrunners and encouraged a speedrun after a good exploration run.

Dec 26, 2012

koolkal posted:

i thought valdis story was better than guacamelee although its kinda unfinished and has some weird stuff

valdis story is fundamentally ok, except after a certain point QA clearly went out the window so you have enemies with weirdass hitboxes and poo poo

also nobody likes getting stunlocked, that poo poo is dumb

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i am going to try a run of valdis on the hardest difficulty because i like pain :devil:

it was really fun though, and the bossfights were great except the final boss who kinda sucked

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
TIME BOMB SET
GET OUT AT YOUR OWN PACE

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

It's to encourage you to use your knowledge of the game world and its powerup locations, and your understanding of your character's movement abilities, to challenge yourself to the utmost, original poster.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

its so there are two ways to play the game, go for 100% or go for the speed finish, 100% rewards you with a more powerful character and speed runs reward you with a different ending picture

I usually go for 100% the first time through then a speed run for any later plays it's pretty cool and good

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
i find that it changes up the pace of the game in an exciting way op. much like when i get the shits and all of a sudden farts get dangerous

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

deadwing posted:

its so there are two ways to play the game, go for 100% or go for the speed finish, 100% rewards you with a more powerful character and speed runs reward you with a different ending picture

I usually go for 100% the first time through then a speed run for any later plays it's pretty cool and good

I think that was only Zero Mission and Fusion that did this. Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime 1,2, and 3, Other M, Metroid prime Hunters, and Metroid Prime Pinball only had a single perfect ending with all other endings being inferior if you didn't meet the requirements.

Not only that but 99% of youtubes up there are all Tool Assisted runs which means they have poo poo like turbofire, infinite lives, infinite missiles and poo poo so they can't die.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
cool fact: ridley in zero mission is buffed up like hell if you 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Hog Butcher posted:

cool fact: ridley in zero mission is buffed up like hell if you 100%

The NES counterpart was a joke because it was just stand in one area and shoot.

• Locked thread