Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

There is clearly something wrong here.
I can't seem to put my opposable thumb on it....

What is this game?

Fatal Frame, known as Project Zero in Europe and Zero (零 Zero?) in Japan, is a survival horror video game series consisting of four installments, a hand-held spin-off, and a remake of the second game. The series' games were released for the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and later for the Wii and Nintendo 3DS. The series plots deal with ghosts, exorcisms, and dark Shinto rituals.

Created by Tecmo, Fatal Frame is one of the most well-received survival horror games to date. It was a unique entry in the genre, as the player explores a mansion and takes photographs of ghosts in order to defeat them. The Fatal Frame series has since gained a reputation as one of the most distinctive in the genre, with the first game in the series credited as one of the best-written survival horror games ever made, by UGO Networks. While Tecmo Koei remains the sole owner of the Fatal Frame / Project Zero IP and franchise, Nintendo co-owns the rights to Fatal Frame 4, Project Zero 2: Wii Edition, the Spirit Camera spin-off and all future installments of the series.

A film based on the video game series, Fatal Frame, will be released on 26 September 2014.

Soo..... Why are you playing this game?

This is the game that set some high standards and broke ground for the genre of horror games and we wanted to find out why. So while we find out just how "scary" this game is supposed to be, we get to enjoy critiquing the old console graphics, game dynamics AND exploit our friend Stebu. He delivers hardcore on being a verbose scaredy cat.

Fatal Frame (series) is stated on SomethingAwful Let's Play Forum MASTERLIST and we are destined to complete it.
This is NOT a dump or re-post of previously-completed LP.

What're your plans for this LP?

Completion of the game series while spending as much time enjoying the players (Stebus) torment. There are a few things we likely miss and some segments where we are figuring out where to go, forgive us.

We also get to display a great game under its best light, which is from the perspective of a person who is easily scared and not that great at videogames in the first place. Awesome.

Commentators!!

Stebu: The Player
FillersFillers: The Veteran
LanceFarsight: The Ranting Pervert

Thread Rules

-This game is old, so spoil whatever you like. Don't even bother with tags, if you haven't played this game yet, chances are you won't. Helpful comments about how certain content could be better or hateful comments about what things are horrible about our gaming or recording, etc. are encouraged but short blurbs and unhelpful/unfunny bits are better spent on your facebook/twitter or diary. SO GO SICK!

Table of Contents:

Episode 01: Introduction to the Mansion (Posted 6-20-2014)
**Implemented Digital Recording through 3 seperate Microphones and 15 Minute Segments - New Game Start**
Episode 02: Miku enters the Mansion (Posted 6-21-2014)
Episode 03: Getting Lost in the Mansion (Posted 6-22-2014)
Episode 04: Fighting Mafuyu's Ghost (Posted 6-23-2014)
Episode 05: Rope Shrine Maiden Mystery (Posted 6-25-2014)
**Updated Posts With Cover Image Including Episode Number**
Episode 06: Water Wheel Woman (Posted 6-26-2014)
Episode 07: Upside Down Motorboating (Posted 6-27-2014)
Episode 08: True Holy Mirror (Posted 7-1-2014)
Episode 09: Finding The 5th Buddha Statue (Posted 7-3-2014)
Episode 10: Searching for Buddha and Medicine (Posted 7-5-2014)
Episode 11: Headless Buddha Statue Found (Posted 7-8-2014)
Episode 12: Demon Tang (Posted 7-9-2014)
**Recording on new settings and 2 new dynamic microphones - Testing best audio options**
Episode 13: The Himuro Family Crest Puzzle (Posted 7-11-2014)
Episode 14: Where The Scary Things Are (Posted 7-14-2014)
**New Side Frame Bumpers to fill up aspect ratio on older generation game**
Episode 15: Frights and Fights (Posted 7-15-2014)
Episode 16: Demon Tang Found (Posted 7-16-2014)
Episode 17: Beating A Ghost Child (Posted 7-17-2014)
Episode 18: Bronze Key Search (Posted 7-18-2014)
Episode 19: The Hanging Woman (Posted 7-19-2014)
Episode 20: The Secrets of the Masks (Posted 7-21-2014)
Episode 21: The Mask of Reflection (Posted 7-23-2014)
Episode 22: The Blinding Mask (Posted 7-24-2014)
Episode 23: The Pit Boss & Bloody Eyes Woman (Posted 7-25-2014)
Episode 24: Angry Aroused (Posted 7-28-2014)
**Recommended less 'offensive' commentary**
Episode 25: Fart Ghost Fight (Posted 7-29-2014)
Episode 26: Rice Paddy Hat Ghost (Posted 7-30-2014)
**Adjusting Digital Recording Filters for Noise Reduction - Ordered New Microphones**
Episode 27: Hentai-Type Death (Posted 7-31-2014)
Episode 28: Molester Uncle Ghost (Posted 8-5-2014)
**Recording on new settings and 2 new dynamic microphones - Testing best audio options**
Episode 29: Samurai Sword Ghost (Posted 8-6-2014)
Episode 30: The Seduction of Priest Ghosts (Posted 8-7-2014)
Episode 31: 2 Priest Ghosts, 1 Camera (Posted 8-8-2014)
Episode 32: Pokemon Fatal Frame (Posted 8-11-2014)
Episode 33: The #FatalFrameSong (Posted 8-13-2014)
Episode 34: Kirie, The Band Geek (Posted 8-13-2014)
Episode 35: The Secrets Of Kirie's Diary (Posted 8-14-2014)
Episode 36: Rope Ritual Explained (NEW!!!! Posted 8-18-2014)

I believe we have one episode left. Episode 36 shows Stebu and his first attempt at what we think may be the final boss. Tune in for what is likely our final episode of our very first LET'S PLAY!!!!
** - Denote Recommendations/Immplementation of Suggestions on Format/Content/Recording

threedestinos fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
The best part of this LP is that we can just watch ahead to the next 20-or-so episodes already uploaded to your channel if we just can't get enough hilarious comedy from one episode!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To improve your videos you could try euthanizing your friend

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

The Steak Justice posted:

The best part of this LP is that we can just watch ahead to the next 20-or-so episodes already uploaded to your channel if we just can't get enough hilarious comedy from one episode!

We are about halfway through the game so far so i'd imagine the full let's play series to be about 40 episodes. We are not anywhere close to the that yet.

Crane Fist posted:

To improve your videos you could try euthanizing your friend

We'll pitch it to him and see how it goes. I think we can get a 2 against 1 vote on him so far.

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

Episode 02 of Fatal Frame is finally here!

In this Let's Play of Fatal Frame, Stebu starts off by getting scared by a ghost that talks about ropes. We follow the steps of her missing brother and enter the same hallway to find the camera he used. Along with the camera, we find Mafuyu's notebook. Channeling his inner Japanese person, Stebu reads the end of the notebook as if he was Mafuya, hilariously. As we enter into the next room, we see a ghost child pointing towards the wall, revealing a hidden door. Finally... we go through a door and try to figure out where next to visit in the mansion.

threedestinos fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 23, 2014

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
This is the exact same thread you posted like a week ago that got instantly gassed except this time you decided not to post the twenty or so already done videos to make it look like less of a messy youtube dump. I mean that IS a marginal improvement so congrats, but you all still sound like you're recording from inside a septic tank.

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

Clayren posted:

This is the exact same thread you posted like a week ago that got instantly gassed except this time you decided not to post the twenty or so already done videos to make it look like less of a messy youtube dump. I mean that IS a marginal improvement so congrats, but you all still sound like you're recording from inside a septic tank.

The tank was quite septic and I took your advice and did some modifications on the microphone and filter choices in the newer episodes that we did last week and i'm trying out a newer C606 Dynamic microphone.
We are recording three commentators with three separate microphones within 3 ft of each other so we are working out how to clean that up. So we're definitely working on that even now.
We're evicting ourselves from the septic tank and just signed a 1 year lease to a 2 story walk-up tank.

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

Updated with the Episode 03 to check out.

Come watch the fun as Stebu is in the driver seat, and Lance Farsight and Fillers Fillers commentate on being inexplicably lost. The Himura mansion is a tricky one, since we couldn't figure out where to go next. Who knew that that people would hide in closets and leave behind tape recordings. Furthermore, watch as Stebu almost wets himself from this ghost encouter. Also, we work on leveling up our camera weapon thingy.

threedestinos fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 25, 2014

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

Hope you guys are looking forward to Stebu getting hilariously scared in Episode 4

In this Let's Play, Stebu disappoints his Asian ancestry by failing to take good photos of ghosts, reads the Secret Ritual of the Himuro family in a slightly racist voice, and almost dies while fighting Mafuyu's ghost. Experience each of Stebu's screams as he solves the red hand mirror puzzle, opens the downstairs area using the brass key and almost dies again and again.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

threedestinos posted:

Hope you guys are looking forward to Stebu getting hilariously scared in Episode 4

In this Let's Play, Stebu disappoints his Asian ancestry by failing to take good photos of ghosts, reads the Secret Ritual of the Himuro family in a slightly racist voice, and almost dies while fighting Mafuyu's ghost. Experience each of Stebu's screams as he solves the red hand mirror puzzle, opens the downstairs area using the brass key and almost dies again and again.

:stare:

I...think I'll pass, thanks.

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

Updated with Episode Five!

Stebu is attacked by both ghosts and the Three Destinos crew, finds out more about the Rope Shrine Maiden and the Strangling Ritual, and stays alive despite numerous near-death experiences.
Yell along with Lance and Fillers as they lambast Stebu for not seeing stuff that's not there and laugh as Lance scares Stebu for no reason whatsoever.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I wish you were a ghost, op.

because then you'd be dead

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I wish you were a ghost, op.

because then you'd be dead

Vigo would say Death is but a door..... to Let's Play through.

Then I can "Swayze" up your "pottery".

threedestinos fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 28, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
While I would be interested in an LP of the X-Box version of Fatal Frame, I'd prefer one with less racism and less shrieking about rape.

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

Niggurath posted:

While I would be interested in an LP of the X-Box version of Fatal Frame, I'd prefer one with less racism and less shrieking about rape.

What would you like to hear MORE of? Feminism? Anti semitism? Botulism?

threedestinos fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 28, 2014

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Literally anything that isn't you three?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'd like some embolism please.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Gifs own LP owns humor owns voted 5 goon sir

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

threedestinos posted:

Then I can "Swayze" up your "pottery".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_LfUmdR2Mo

I prefer this version.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

threedestinos posted:

What would you like to hear MORE of? Feminism? Anti semitism? Botulism?

You should absolutely talk about feminism in your future videos. I think that a lot of people here would love to hear your opinion on it.

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

Awesome. I almost forgot how erotic human cannonballs are.

And looks like we have our marching orders, more feminism and embolism talk.
I'm almost certain there is a way to refer to women as bloodclots..... I'll figure it out, asap.

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

Just updated post with our first introduction to the Water Wheel Woman.

In this episode, Stebu continues to explore the Himuro mansion, finding talisman blocking doors, news and notebook scraps that begin to hint at something sinister, and a dead woman on a water wheel.

Turn up your speakers as the Lance and Fillers find The Dubstep in Death.

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

Looks like our next episode finds Stebu starting off cursing at dead children and gets upside down motorboated by the broken neck ghost woman.
After multiple photo fails and nearly dying, Fillers takes over the controls. Watch Fillers explore more about Kirie and the Rope Maiden, the Holy Mirrors of the Five Gods while LanceFarsight does his best reading ever.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Just can't take the hint can you?

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

Just can't take the hint can you?

I wouldn't call

a 'hint' per se

We are publishing a new Let's Play (just about) everyday and there is about a week discrepancy between publishing and posting updates here but the content is brand new, not yet completed, listed on the MASTERLIST for Let's Plays and we're open to suggestions on how to post better, record better or have better content in general as we work on getting to the end of this game and future games as well.

If you do have actual 'hints' or even straight up thoughts about that sort of thing, we'd love to hear it =)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

threedestinos posted:

we're open to suggestions on how to post better, record better or have better content in general as we work on getting to the end of this game and future games as well.

If you do have actual 'hints' or even straight up thoughts about that sort of thing, we'd love to hear it =)

Posting better: Don't get all defensive when somebody points out that you're doing a youtube dump.

Record better: Get a new microphone.

Better content: Get less obnoxious commentators.

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

Posting better: Don't get all defensive when somebody points out that you're doing a youtube dump.

Record better: Get a new microphone.

Better content: Get less obnoxious commentators.

Thanks Golden Goat, ;)

Sounds like the posts are fine being it's not a youtube dump.
Recording better is in the process due to one new microphone (ordered 2 more) and a more updated live board that should get set up tomorrow (or friday). And the content isn't going to get less obnoxious, i'm afraid.

We've had requests on certain topics and we can't let The People DOWN!!!!!
Unless you can think of a docile way to be offensive.... I just don't think it will be as AwEsOme.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

threedestinos posted:

Thanks Golden Goat, ;)

Sounds like the posts are fine being it's not a youtube dump.
Recording better is in the process due to one new microphone (ordered 2 more) and a more updated live board that should get set up tomorrow (or friday). And the content isn't going to get less obnoxious, i'm afraid.

We've had requests on certain topics and we can't let The People DOWN!!!!!
Unless you can think of a docile way to be offensive.... I just don't think it will be as AwEsOme.
I'm a bit confused though what's the point in getting feedback or buying a new mic or doing any of that when you have up to part 26 recorded; are you guys going to re-record all that stuff or are you just going to hope that maybe people will stick around till then. I understand for the most part it's just to garner a little discussion in this dead zone, but it would be great if it was to improve this at all.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

threedestinos posted:

I wouldn't call

a 'hint' per se

We are publishing a new Let's Play (just about) everyday and there is about a week discrepancy between publishing and posting updates here but the content is brand new, not yet completed, listed on the MASTERLIST for Let's Plays and we're open to suggestions on how to post better, record better or have better content in general as we work on getting to the end of this game and future games as well.

lol gently caress i got owned

Okay here's my thought. No one who has posted in this thread has liked your lp. It was my mistake for even posting in the first place, because you obviously thrive on attention and I gave it to you, regardless if it was negative or not. You're not funny, you're bringing nothing to the table (not that you have to, but it helps if you're actually funny when you try to be), you wasted $10 in posting this here. Good luck getting on the master list with this tripe.
e: oh you've posted on other forums at least so it's not like you only wasted money trying to shill out your lovely channel
e2: $20
e3: holy poo poo you tried pimping out your own LP in the recommendation thread that's hilarious gently caress you

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 31, 2014

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
It may as well be a YouTube dump, because you already have most, if not all, the LP done. You're just not releasing them all at the same time. Your latest "update" was literally released last month!

Those who actually gave criticism other than "wow this is really bad" are more or less ignored as you post random gifs. You basically stated this in your last post: Nothing is gonna change.

I respect you for being set in your ways, but don't ask for criticism, if you're not gonna apply it to anything. Not that you can, because you've already done this months ago! :psyduck:

PS: Your commentary may not be very appropriate, due to the main character being 17 years old. I'd be careful about saying what you're into.

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

RSCNyx posted:

It may as well be a YouTube dump, because you already have most, if not all, the LP done. You're just not releasing them all at the same time. Your latest "update" was literally released last month!

Those who actually gave criticism other than "wow this is really bad" are more or less ignored as you post random gifs. You basically stated this in your last post: Nothing is gonna change.

I respect you for being set in your ways, but don't ask for criticism, if you're not gonna apply it to anything. Not that you can, because you've already done this months ago! :psyduck:

PS: Your commentary may not be very appropriate, due to the main character being 17 years old. I'd be careful about saying what you're into.

We're applying all suggestions that aren't 'stop' or 'kill your friend' or obviously sarcastic.
Like I said the videos are being published as we go along and the most recent one was the 28th (two days ago) and the game has yet to be completed.
We do have a different style of recording than some would be happy with, but being different isn't a bad thing and even with staying with our current 'style' we do have a lot of flexability. When people take the time to be constructive or deconstructive we've listened.

I do understand that some may find talking about a videogame character in an inappropriate manner COULD be offensive but if I called PacMan an overweight dot and someone was offended by it, i'd just have to ignore them.... right? I wouldn't reevaluate myself over it.

So we are/do take advice seriously, for sure and just as there is a shoe for every foot I'd imagine we will keep evolving until we are the hosed up shoe for all the hosed up feet.

P.S. I looked up the statute for underage videogame character sexual harassment and it turns out I can say all the horrible and suggestive things about them that I like! But it doesn't make it 'right'.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

Niggurath posted:

I'm a bit confused though what's the point in getting feedback or buying a new mic or doing any of that when you have up to part 26 recorded; are you guys going to re-record all that stuff or are you just going to hope that maybe people will stick around till then. I understand for the most part it's just to garner a little discussion in this dead zone, but it would be great if it was to improve this at all.

Great point.
2 things that are an issue with truly being as responsive as possible.

One: It's difficult to play a game in 15 minute segments so we record about four-six 15 segments at a time and we did get a couple weeks under our belts before we posted the first episode here.

Two: We'd have to record a 15 minute segment, stop, bounce it, format it, publish it, post it, wait for valid responses, address them, record another 15 minute segment and repeat.

It would take us several months to play a single game, even one like this which i'm told is pretty short.

4-6 episodes being one day of recording even for 26 parts means we've recorded this for just over 4 weeks and i've been posting this for just over 2 weeks now so us being 2 weeks ahead in our recording which is only 2 sessions is something that we sort of planned for so we wouldn't lag on content.

ALL THAT being said we can look at the record time and the post time to be even closer together for sure.

I am looking to do the best that we can do for this and future games so the more valid critiques like this one that we get, the closer and closer we'll get to being that.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

threedestinos posted:

Great point.
2 things that are an issue with truly being as responsive as possible.

One: It's difficult to play a game in 15 minute segments so we record about four-six 15 segments at a time and we did get a couple weeks under our belts before we posted the first episode here.

Two: We'd have to record a 15 minute segment, stop, bounce it, format it, publish it, post it, wait for valid responses, address them, record another 15 minute segment and repeat.

It would take us several months to play a single game, even one like this which i'm told is pretty short.

4-6 episodes being one day of recording even for 26 parts means we've recorded this for just over 4 weeks and i've been posting this for just over 2 weeks now so us being 2 weeks ahead in our recording which is only 2 sessions is something that we sort of planned for so we wouldn't lag on content.

ALL THAT being said we can look at the record time and the post time to be even closer together for sure.

I am looking to do the best that we can do for this and future games so the more valid critiques like this one that we get, the closer and closer we'll get to being that.
That's why you get a better work flow or slow down more. There's no real point in having a backlog if the backlog has technical issues, or if the response with even the first video is a generally negative response. Also I'm not sure why you are limiting yourself to 15 minute videos; unless you have copyright strikes against your account there is no barrier to getting the youtube limit taken off your channel. Even still you can easily record a much longer video and just make mental pauses as to when you want to split up the video rather than starting an egg timer and going 'Alright, we gotta get this done in 15 minutes!'.

Also for your second point, once you get down a good flow you don't need to wait for 'valid responses and address them'; also I don't know what bouncing has to do with anything. But usually for a 15 minute video, even with post commentary that's maybe an hour of total work and maybe half hour to upload it (unless you got poo poo internet). So ummmmm I'm not sure how this would really take you months and months to do?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Regardless of the OP or dumb poo poo that I don't care about, let me once again reiterate how good Fatal Frame is.

You know Resident Evil and Silent Hill and how their gameplay is basically ancilliary to the horror of the game, and killing enemies dispels tension rather than creating it. Well, Fatal Frame solves this with such elegance it's jizzworthy.

Because you see, the gameplay of the game requires you to place yourself in a position of greater tension and danger, and thus amplifies the stress of the already creepy environments. You have to wait until the precise moment of absolute threat to deal any significant damage, thus blending gameplay and horror in a way that only, perhaps, the Siren games ever managed to capture elegantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I think you need to just start up something fresh. This is still practically a Youtube dump. Even if there's still stuff to be recorded, most of it is pointless for thread participation. Start a new game and go along with the thread.

Regarding the 15m item, just use some video editing software. Use the tech support thread for more info.

Also, don't be weird/creepy.

• Locked thread