Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
2 questions:

1. When I drink alcohol it goes to my stomach and mixes with other stuff waiting to be digested. So even if I'm drinking water, all it does is mix with the alcohol in my stomach, and everyone knows that alcohol pushes water out of the way when it's being absorbed into the bloodstream.

2nd question: When I'm drunk I'm such a better person... While others may lash out violently when they drink alcohol or may say bad things, all I do when I'm drunk is be nicer to everyone. If it's true that alcohol lowers your inhibitions why is it that some people are nicer when drunk? And If it's true that I'm a more compassionate person while drunk (it's true) why cant I be that way all the time??? What exactly is inhibiting me to being nice and compassionate all of the time?? When I'm drunk and I'm much braver and I can tell people how I really feel "You are beautiful" or "You are such a kind person". Why aren't I like this when I'm sober even when it's obviously the superior way of living???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Frykte posted:

2 questions:

1. When I drink alcohol it goes to my stomach and mixes with other stuff waiting to be digested. So even if I'm drinking water, all it does is mix with the alcohol in my stomach, and everyone knows that alcohol pushes water out of the way when it's being absorbed into the bloodstream.

I don't think this is actually true. To avoid complications in the future I suggest you stick to butt chugging, to avoid the stomach entirely. Also, alcohol makes everyone nicer so if you are nicer when drunk that means you are a raging rear end in a top hat the rest of the time. I recommend butt chugging as much as possible.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Your first point is absolutely true. No argument there from me! However I have learned that there are certain people that become violent after drinking too much alcohol. They slap their friends or say really bad things. Whereas consistently when I drink alcohol all I can think is "How best can I make my friends happy and alleviate their suffering in this cruel world?" "How can I min-max the suffering and contentment of all those I see in my daily life?". Alcohol consistently makes me think of people other than myself while on the other while I'm sober and all I think of is myself. The difference is night and say. Alcohol makes me a better person is what I'm getting at. Marijuana does the exact same thing

Edit: Assume that peoples happiness can be measured quanititativaley: when I'm drunk the number of happiness for both myself and others goes far up, but the bad part is that alcohol is basically poison for not only your body but your soul too. Whereas when I'm sober my body is healthy but I am sad and the humans close to me are also sadder. Ethically, alcohol is good for me to take.

Lonny Donoghan fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 22, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Consider yourself lucky I guess.

Marijuana does the same thing to me.

Alcohol just makes me give no fucks so I become loud and boisterous and generally more grating than usual.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Perhaps you have a fear of vulnerability which causes you to be closed and negative while sober, but open and loving when that fear is suppressed with ethanol.

Also, seconding the buttchugging suggestion.

Grey Skies
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Frykte posted:

2 questions:

This is literally not a question.

quote:

2nd question: When I'm drunk I'm such a better person... While others may lash out violently when they drink alcohol or may say bad things, all I do when I'm drunk is be nicer to everyone. If it's true that alcohol lowers your inhibitions why is it that some people are nicer when drunk? And If it's true that I'm a more compassionate person while drunk (it's true) why cant I be that way all the time??? What exactly is inhibiting me to being nice and compassionate all of the time?? When I'm drunk and I'm much braver and I can tell people how I really feel "You are beautiful" or "You are such a kind person". Why aren't I like this when I'm sober even when it's obviously the superior way of living???

The inhibition being bypassed is fear of consequences. If you're wasted you don't care if someone says "gently caress off, creep" or otherwise rejects your kind words/offer of friendship.

How drunk are you right now?

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
You only think you're a better person, odds are you're actually pretty insufferable like most drunks. Don't use alcohol as a form of personal enhancement, it can lead to alcoholism something fierce.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
yeah no one thinks you're a better person when you're drunk except if they, too, are drunk

Aurora-Capitah
Apr 29, 2014

by XyloJW

uG posted:

yeah no one thinks you're a better person when you're drunk except if they, too, are drunk

I'm drunk and I think he's an annoying rear end in a top hat.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Frykte posted:

Alchol triggers many different receptors including the GABA receptor which is responsible for most drugs making you feel real real good. People that act angry when drunk tend to be heavy drinkers since heavy drinking diminishes the effects on the GABA receptor, focusing on other receptors that are linked to mood disorders.

Basically you are asking 'why can't I feel high when I'm not on drugs".

Noun Verber posted:

You only think you're a better person, odds are you're actually pretty insufferable like most drunks. Don't use alcohol as a form of personal enhancement, it can lead to alcoholism something fierce.

I've met many people who are more enjoyable to be around when they are slightly to moderately intoxicated, this is hardly an unusual phenomena.

e:

quote:

Marijuana does the exact same thing

Same sort of idea, and again frequency of use is important- it reduces anxiety when used occasionally while increasing anxiety in habitual users.

tsa fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 23, 2014

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

tsa posted:

Basically you are asking 'why can't I feel high when I'm not on drugs".

Why can't I feel high when I'm not on drugs?

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

tsa posted:

Same sort of idea, and again frequency of use is important- it reduces anxiety when used occasionally while increasing anxiety in habitual users.

Not entirely true, new/occasional smokers are way more likely to be paranoid or have an anxiety attack, while habitual users can become dependent on it for relaxation.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

tsa posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and totally, completely disagree with this as well.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It's kinda a bathtub curve really. At first you are super susceptible to paranoia, then it drops down to almost nothing, but if you smoke enough for long enough it can sometimes (not always) bring about more paranoia.

I definitely know some epic potheads that don't do anything new or foreign to them because they are too paranoid. They are pretty chill on the surface, but definitely have some underlying anxiety issues. Of course that's more a function of always staying inside and not doing anything worthwhile, but constantly blowing trees doesn't help that situation at all. And this is at major levels of consumption, like an eighth or more a week.

Of course there's plenty of people that this doesn't apply to, and plenty more who would be anxious wrecks if they didn't blaze on the regular.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
Get drunk every day.

For me alcohol helps get rid of anxiety. When I'm sober, I'm using a certain amount of brain power to keep that poo poo in check so when I can keep that poo poo in check by employing an external source, in this case alcohol, I'm able to reach my full potential in coolness.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Frykte posted:

Alcohol is a drug. Drugs affect people differently.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

cent0r posted:

Get drunk every day.

Also alcohol (and benzos, which act on GABA as well) are the only drugs where withdrawal from daily use can kill you! :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

Frykte posted:

2 questions:

Alcohol in your stomach itself does nothing. It starts working as is gets ingested into bloodstream. And if you dilute it with water, you make the process slower. Water is useful to avoid dehydration, which does number bad of things with you and causes hangover. If you spend a night out and come home drunk, make a good rule to drink as much water as your body can hold. And then some more. It's not that hard to remember even when you're barely standing up and cannot remember your name. And if you forget once, next morning will chisel that into your head (it'll feel like this, too).

Best way to keep your alcohol is to eat heavily before (and during!) drinking, especially fatty foods and milk products. Fat makes alcohol digest much slower.

Frykte posted:

Alcohol, usually, enhances and supercharges all emotions. It just depends how you feel during the drinking. But if you have insecurities and it's a social situation, alcohol will make you happy at first, because you have no problems talking to people when drunk. So night might just continue on this happy train. I drank heavily in my late teens for 4 years straight and in the end, stopped doing it because alcoholism caused me stress, and drinking just pushed it through the roof, so I became dangerous to myself and people around. First sips bring relief and forget, but line is hard to draw, especially since you're getting drunk and care less and less about the limits.

• Locked thread