Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Guys, we have to stand up for uber! http://www.gop.com/act/support-uber-petition

quote:

Our country was built on the entrepreneurial spirit. Our cities deserve innovative and effective solutions without government getting in the way.

That’s what innovative businesses like Uber provide. And that’s why our cities need Uber.

But across the country, taxi unions and liberal government bureaucrats are setting up roadblocks, issuing strangling regulations and implementing unnecessary red tape to block Uber from doing business in their cities.

We must stand up for our free market principles, entrepreneurial spirit and economic freedom.

Show your support for Uber by signing the petition today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I am fairly sure I hit edit, but it was not!

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 6, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kalman posted:

I'm just curious why it's important for Uber but not for taxi drivers. I mean, the purpose of the regulations you want is to provide an equal requirement on Uber as on the existing oh-so-safe taxicabs, right?

I don't give a gently caress about taxi drivers? I'm saying it's a raw loving deal for someone driving their own car.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Which side are you on? :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/GroverNorquist/status/481884814535303168

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Uber is now a Republican driven project. This makes this whole thing a lot easier.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I can't wait to see Uber's numbers tank amongst their primary demographic because the Republicans spend all day associating with it

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Uber is now a Republican driven project. This makes this whole thing a lot easier.

"We need to connect with young people"

-My grandson likes abusing women, starting fights, oh and he tries this new taxi thing, Goober, Uber? Something like that.

"We already support the first two, but let's look into this Uber thing."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Radbot posted:

I don't give a gently caress about taxi drivers? I'm saying it's a raw loving deal for someone driving their own car.

Then maybe they should get collision insurance? I mean, it's a raw deal for other people in Virginia who decide not to get collision insurance, but I don't actually feel sorry for them because they didn't get collision insurance.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Nonsense posted:

Uber is now a Republican driven project.

I've only been saying this all thread.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Main Paineframe posted:

So you're complaining that DC taxis don't have consistent appearance or licensing requirements, ignore laws they don't like, and go unpunished by regulators...and your solution is to bring in a service with no appearance or licensing requirements which openly states its intention to ignore any laws it doesn't like but which you want regulators to not punish?

more like "neither of them are playing by the rules so I'll pick the one where the service at least benefits me"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don't know anything about my taxi driver but I know my Uber driver has a history of making bad decisions so that's also a factor.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Well there goes all the goodwill of the people who live in cities.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kalman posted:

Then maybe they should get collision insurance? I mean, it's a raw deal for other people in Virginia who decide not to get collision insurance, but I don't actually feel sorry for them because they didn't get collision insurance.

Which collision insurance should they buy? The one for licensed for hire drivers, or the one for personal insurance? Because they are neither.

Jesus gently caress, quit being so contrarian when you don't even understand what you're talking about nor read my posts.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Radbot posted:

Which collision insurance should they buy? The one for licensed for hire drivers, or the one for personal insurance? Because they are neither.

Jesus gently caress, quit being so contrarian when you don't even understand what you're talking about nor read my posts.

I'm actually wondering if one of the regulations VA is going to put in permanently is a new class of car insurance in VA to officially make something to cover the gap. Right now I'm guessing the "you're covered even when you don't have a fare" portion is just an ad-hoc ruling or a concession Uber/Lyft have made internally.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

axeil posted:

I'm actually wondering if one of the regulations VA is going to put in permanently is a new class of car insurance in VA to officially make something to cover the gap. Right now I'm guessing the "you're covered even when you don't have a fare" portion is just an ad-hoc ruling or a concession Uber/Lyft have made internally.

IIRC being covered when you have the app open and don't have a fare is a concession that Uber/Lyft have made in order to prevent outside regulation. This came about after an Uber driver hit and killed a six-year-old girl while trying to pick up a fare on New Year's Eve. He hadn't picked up a fare yet so Uber disavowed themselves of responsibility, then later expanded their insurance coverage so that they would cover incidents like these in the future. The lawsuit against them for this particular incident is still going on, though.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Radbot posted:

I suspect that they can find commercial collision insurance (though it's questionable whether it's required,MIT is dependent on the specifics of a policy). I suspect the insurance companies will be more than happy to sell it to them.

Why do I suspect that? Well, they've said they'd be happy to do so.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Oh OK, that totally answers it. Some company said they would do something.

Forcing people to buy commercial insurance will honestly probably drive most UberX/Lyft drivers out. Those policies are very expensive, and people who only drive on the weekends or after work likely won't find it worthwhile.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kalman posted:

I suspect that they can find commercial collision insurance (though it's questionable whether it's required,MIT is dependent on the specifics of a policy). I suspect the insurance companies will be more than happy to sell it to them.

Why do I suspect that? Well, they've said they'd be happy to do so.

Yeah, if you read that page you'd notice:

quote:

In all states except California, we’re unable to offer a standard policy to TNC drivers.

So only because of the CPUC's regulations, which Uber still violates, Esurance is able to offer a standard policy.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

api call girl posted:

I've only been saying this all thread.

In Houston Uber/Lyft regulations passed 10-5-(2 abstain).

Out of the 5 no votes, there were 2 Republicans (Kubosh, Christie, for those who care) and 3 Democrats (Bradford, Davis, Laster). The two abstaining votes were both Republicans who opposed the new regulations.

Just based on this anecdotal data from one city that has dealt with Uber, Republicans tend to oppose Uber at a higher rate then Democrats, mostly because they're old and technology scares them.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, if you read that page you'd notice:

So only because of the CPUC's regulations, which Uber still violates, Esurance is able to offer a standard policy.

Yes. That's because they don't sell commercial insurance. However, as that same page notes, their partner Allstate sells commercial insurance.

So in CA, standard insurance suffices, and everywhere else they will (through a partner) sell you commercial insurance.

I fail to see the issue.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Kalman posted:

Yes. That's because they don't sell commercial insurance. However, as that same page notes, their partner Allstate sells commercial insurance.

So in CA, standard insurance suffices, and everywhere else they will (through a partner) sell you commercial insurance.

I fail to see the issue.

The issue is your attitude of "let them eat cake".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kalman posted:

I fail to see the issue.

Uber still violates the CPUC's TNC regulations and Uber fights requiring that their drivers have commercial insurance tooth and nail, that's the issue.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Uber still violates the CPUC's TNC regulations and Uber fights requiring that their drivers have commercial insurance tooth and nail, that's the issue.

Virginia cabs don't have to have collision insurance either. Are you upset that Virginia taxicab companies would fight similar requirements being imposed?

Is the issue that Uber isn't subject to the same regulations as cabs, or that you don't like commercial drivers not having to carry collision insurance?

api call girl posted:

The issue is your attitude of "let them eat cake".

Not to mention that, since Virginia is a fault state, UberX drivers only have to pay out of pocket for damage to their vehicle when it's their fault in the first place, so, yes, gently caress them in that circumstance.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kalman posted:

Virginia cabs don't have to have collision insurance either. Are you upset that Virginia taxicab companies would fight similar requirements being imposed?

No businesses are going to fight the creation of new regulation, I would have an issue if VA required collision insurance and taxicabs refused to comply once the regulation was in effect.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Necc0 posted:

I also live in DC and besides the occasional closing-time dry spell I haven't had any issues. Well one time a cabby wouldn't accept credit cards so I didn't get in. Good thing I asked him first!

Don't ask until you get to your destination. If it's "broken" then say you don't have cash and just get out. You'd be surprised how many of those card readers miraculously fix themselves. If not you just got a free ride.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

Oh OK, that totally answers it. Some company said they would do something.

Forcing people to buy commercial insurance will honestly probably drive most UberX/Lyft drivers out. Those policies are very expensive, and people who only drive on the weekends or after work likely won't find it worthwhile.

Well yeah, you up your risk profile massively by doing this. It's why for most people getting into being an UberX etc driver was never a good idea to begin. This just makes the actual risk incurred by doing this much more apparent.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well yeah, you up your risk profile massively by doing this. It's why for most people getting into being an UberX etc driver was never a good idea to begin. This just makes the actual risk incurred by doing this much more apparent.

Welp, I agree with Nintendo Kid. I think I quit.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
just encountered an Uber next to my workplace, this guy with a bluetooth earpiece was trying to tell these two drunk ladies coming out of a bar that he was their driver, while they testily asserted that he was not and that their driver had said he would meet them nearby but not right there. anecdotes and whatnot, but lol.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Nevada: we don't need Uber, we just need a less stupid climate around existing services. The author also writes for national papers and spent the past few years covering DC for Politico, which is why the story opens with an RNC anecdote.

Seems this is how the cab cartel here exists alongside a private town car industry:

quote:

Uber’s biggest impediment in Vegas is also the stupidest rule, that customers must reserve a town car or limo an hour in advance and pay for a minimum of an hour’s use. How much business and money have properly licensed limo drivers lost because they were forced to idle despite the existence of willing customers?

It's funny that I actually have seen limos (or "limos" like giant stretch SUVs) doing nothing after somebody paid extravagant money to move one a 20 minute distance.

The state Taxi Authority is being sued by a watchdog group for various acts of corruption, which I guess is about the best that can be done about an unelected position.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Remember guys, not only does Uber have to fight against "big taxi" using illegal tactics because *reasons* but Uber has to fight "big Lyft" using illegal tactics too: http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/11/technology/uber-fake-ride-requests-lyft/

quote:

New data provided by Lyft, a competitor, shows that Uber employees have ordered and canceled more than 5,000 Lyft rides since last October. The data was provided to CNNMoney per a request made when reporting another story on the competition between the two companies.

It's the taxi app version of ding-dong ditch.
And it's not just a rogue employee or two: Lyft claims 177 Uber employees around the country have booked and canceled rides in that time frame.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
/\ It is nice how they are able to phrase around the truth with what they are doing. Seems they have the money for lawyers or think they can fix their image later on if people find out.

quote:

Uber staffers in New York called and withdrew over 100 ride requests with another taxi app, Gett, in the span of three days. After that incident, Uber said in a statement that they would "tone down their sales tactics."

But 5,492 of the canceled rides occurred after that statement was issued, according to the data.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, the good and decent registered/licensed limo hailing app is about to go through the regulatory hurdles in NV.

In addition to the cost of the vehicle, the app plans to charge you $5 a ride for doing all the work of calling a car company and telling them where you are. :v:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

And Uber has responded:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/08/12/accusations-fly-between-uber-and-lyft/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0 posted:

Lyft's claims against Uber are baseless and simply untrue. Furthermore, Lyft's own drivers and employees, including one of Lyft's founders, have canceled 12,900 trips on Uber. But instead of providing the long list of questionable tactics that Lyft has used over the years, we are focusing on building and maintaining the best platform for both consumers and drivers.

These attacks from Lyft are unfortunate but somewhat expected. A number of Lyft investors have recently been pushing Uber to acquire Lyft. One of their largest shareholders recently warned that Lyft would "go nuclear" if we do not acquire them. We can only assume that the recent Lyft attacks are part of that strategy.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It's hard to take Uber at its word here, given that they already admitted to doing this exact tactic earlier this year.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/ubers-dirty-trick-campaign-against-nyc-competition-cam-1508280668

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Re: valuation chat earlier:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-08-07/silicon-valley-tech-entrepreneurs-behind-the-stereotype

quote:

“In New York there’s pressure to have a house in the Hamptons or send your kids to private school. The high-status thing here isn’t to drive a superfancy car or have a big house or new clothes. It’s to angel invest. The bigger the risk, the better.” Yes, they’re obsessed about how much each other’s companies are valued at, but that’s their highly competitive way of keeping score. "

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
http://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2014/09/uber_driver_allegedly_pulls_gu.html

PennLive posted:

"That employee asked the Uber driver to move forward to park in a designated space, at which time an altercation ensued," Atlanta police spokesman Ralph Woolfolk told Channel 2.

"Subsequently, the Uber drive pulled out a gun and pointed it at the employee and told him he was going to kill him."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Oh this thread! I'd usually make some comment mocking Uber now, but this time I think they did enough on their own:

Uber sued for allegedly refusing rides to the blind and putting a dog in the trunk posted:

An advocacy group for the blind is suing the app-based ride-sharing service Uber, alleging the company discriminates against passengers with service dogs.

The federal civil rights suit filed Tuesday by the California chapter of the National Federation of the Blind cites instances in California and elsewhere when blind Uber customers summoned a car only to be refused a ride once the driver saw them with a service dog. In some cases, drivers allegedly abandoned blind travelers in extreme weather and charged cancellation fees after denying them rides, the complaint said.

The complaint filed in a Northern California District Court cites one instance where a California UberX driver put a service dog in the trunk and refused to pull over when the blind passenger realized where the animal was.

On another occasion a passenger was trying to explain that his dog was not a pet but a service animal when the driver allegedly cursed at him and accelerated abruptly, nearly injuring the dog and striking the passenger’s friend, who is also blind, with an open car door.
In a statement reported by the San Francisco Examiner, Uber said its policy is to terminate drivers who refuse to transport service animals. “The Uber app is built to expand access to transportation options for all, including users with visual impairments and other disabilities,” the statement said.

However, Uber allegedly told some passengers it can’t control what drivers do because they are independent contractors. The company advised them to let drivers know about their animals ahead of time, said the Federation, which filed suit after Uber rejected its request to negotiate a solution.
Figuring out whether to treat Uber like a traditional taxi service or something else is the subject of heated debate across the country. Taxi services are required by federal law to serve the disabled, even if drivers are independent contractors.

(http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...g-in-the-trunk/)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Taxis never do anything like that, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Every ninety seconds, a taxi driver shoves a service dog into his trunk. But do you ever hear about that? No, of course not. BIG TAXI controls the newspapers and TV stations. Wake up sheeple!

• Locked thread