Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

These are so very much the poo poo. I came in to post about them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
I like my headphones because the coil is replaceable

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
I kick it oldschool and carry a boombox with me wherever I go. The only song on my mixtape is Rapper's Delight.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my last laptop had 'beats by dre' speakers and they were utter poo poo even for laptop speakers

tinny quality, zero bass, fuzz and static all the time

i guess what im saying is dont buy hp laptops

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
I got these Sony bluetooth headphones several years ago, they're the best. Apparently they're discontinued now.
Sony DRBT50 Stereo Bluetooth Headset (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
http://amzn.com/B000PCCLPU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Koss Porta Pro. 40 bucks and all the bass you can ever want with actual mids and highs.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
use monitors in a good room like a boss or pay attention to the world around you so you don't get mugged like a dumbass

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

This turned into a god drat general headphone thread when we were just supposed to point and laugh at the clueless.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Soft Shell Crab posted:

This turned into a god drat general headphone thread when we were just supposed to point and laugh at the clueless.
Headphone people are really opinionated about their specific headphones which are the best headphones and which they totally wouldn't fail a double-blind test with literally any other headphone.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Seriouspost: I own a pair of the earbuds, because Brookstone has a return policy where you get unlimited replacement for two years. Every pair of earbuds I've ever had have broken after 1-2 months, including Bose.

They're not bad. Not worth what I paid for them but it's the best quality sound I can find with an *unlimited replacement* style protection plan.

If anyone knows of better earbuds with the same type of replacement plan, I'd buy them in a second. I need to be able to replace them in a store (like Best Buy or some place with a lot of locations) because I'll be breaking them quite often. Last I checked, Best Buy's replacement plan only covered you for one replacement, in regards to the Bose earbuds.

So basically: I own a pair of not-that-lovely yet extremely overpriced headphones, specifically for the protection plan.

Music wise, I love my VModa Crossfade LP2s but I can't really run/work out with those.

1gnoirents posted:

jogging/workout/sleep headphones = LG tone+

ive put my pair through insane abuse and they work 100% still. One of my best headphone purchases ever in my life and I was totally unsure if it was going to be some gimmicky crap id never use

I've heard this before. When you say "they've been through abuse" do you mean the actual headband/headphone part? Because my problem is snagging the cord on stuff and having the cable get damaged around the plug.

cname fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 25, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Headphone people are really opinionated about their specific headphones which are the best headphones and which they totally wouldn't fail a double-blind test with literally any other headphone.

imo if you're going to blow hundreds of dollars on headphones may as well do it for ones that impress real people instead of ones that only impress basement-dwellers with thousand-dollar speaker cables who spend all day arguing about how their headphones are better because "impact" and "smoothness" and "warmth"

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

I've had HD-280s forever. Still holding together strong (due to electrical tape) :corsair:

use some Loctite on that poo poo

pro headphone repair tool

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Maoist Pussy posted:

Do those $100 Shure earbuds have sturdy cables, because I find that earbud cables break too often for me to buy fancy ones

The cable is like a loving HMdi cable. poo poo is bulletproof and impossible to wrap up

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
hey can you get headphones which have like a jack hole thing on them so you can switch out the actual lead?Wire's always the weak point in my experience and i really miss my sennheisers

Tipster
Mar 7, 2013

I have steampunk headphones

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

MorgaineDax posted:

I don't care how much audio dorks argue they're overpriced. I've had my pair for 5 years and I want to live with these things on my head.

I can't go on a plane without them

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

hey can you get headphones which have like a jack hole thing on them so you can switch out the actual lead?Wire's always the weak point in my experience and i really miss my sennheisers

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2#specifications

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

ZombieParts posted:

Same ones I use

Seriously, someone that's heard them or owns them - How do beats actually sound?? Are they in the same sound range as sennheiser or bose? If not, do they at least rate as high as iPod's latest stock buds?

I work back of house doing refurbs in the electrical section for a department store and one of th eperks is getting to play with all the cool toys. I can categorically state that Beats are awful. The build quality is astoundingly bad. The rate of return for faulty Beats headphones got so out of control we started to keep a separate log of Beats returns so we could notify out buying team so they could renegotiate a debit agreement with Beats (which worked, yay!). The headbands snap very easily, but I have to give them credit, the updated models released late 2013 had redesigned headbands so they wouldn't snap in half when bent. Unfortunately they didn't address the weak hinge, so I still get plenty of pairs returned with broken hinges. On the plus side, the Beats warranty is actually pretty good, most other companies would yell 'accidental damage' and tell the customer to get hosed. Beats will give an RMA number for your broken pair and quite often replace them. So while the build quality sucks, the company's pretty good to deal with as a customer, even as a retailer we don't have much of a problem dealing with them. But do you really want to have to keep dealing with them? Because that replacement pair will also shatter into a million tiny pieces. THe most hilarious part is after Beats went out on their own and left Monster, the first thing they wanted to do was get the brand awareness corrected and ensure the public that they were NOT part of Monster in any way, and part of that was shouting about the improved build quality. The build quality actually got worse.

In terms of sound quality, it just isn't there. The Bass is driven so high they distort quickly before reaching high volume levels. Beats' response to these comments will always be along the lines of, "We want you to FEEL DA BEAT!" and after a little arguing they'll back down to, "Well its more for fans of Bass heavy music". But that's the problem, because of the way they're balanced they actually can't handle strong bass at all, everything begins to sound like a wet fart and there's zero clarity. Yeah they can go pretty loud, but volume isn't much if the clarity is lost. Are they in the same range as Senheiser or Bose? Not by a long shot. The only area they match is price.

RobattoJesus posted:

Aren't bose almost as poo poo as beats?

Not at all. Bose are actually quite good, not the best, and certainly are a league ahead of Beats.

Laserface posted:

They literally have mirrors in the headphone dept. of a major electronics franchise in Australia.

This was not there until Beats existed.

gently caress Beats.

We had that happen here in the UK too. It was lovingly nicknamed the twat stand.

my bony fealty posted:

my last laptop had 'beats by dre' speakers and they were utter poo poo even for laptop speakers

tinny quality, zero bass, fuzz and static all the time

i guess what im saying is dont buy hp laptops

Those laptops are using the same speakers HP use in most of their Envy line. They have sound cards 'tweaked' by Beats audio and some Beats branded EQ bloatware pre-installed. (Or so some wig at HP kept telling us) Still a bag of shite though. Did you get one fo the first gen ones that went balls out with the branding and even replaced the b key on the keyboard with a giant Beats logo, or is it one of the more subtle, recent models. Because Beats stuff aside I recall those being fairly good laptops.

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Like these? :classiclol:

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
headphones in general suck for outdoor use. Good luck dodging that car you can't hear, or responding to the hot chick who talks to you that you are deaf to

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I have a pair of sennheiser HD 280 pros personally, they have a real flat frequency response which is nice, real nice clarity too, way better for picking up small details than speakers

They're pretty old and mangled tho

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Bitter Mushroom posted:

headphones in general suck for outdoor use. Good luck dodging that car you can't hear, or responding to the hot chick who talks to you that you are deaf to

Yeah cos goons are always having hot chicks talking to them.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
she might say 'ugh get out the way nerd' and you lose your chance to respond and say actually i'm a geek, a geek is a person who knows a lot about certain subjects so actually you should respect me bitch. And then she does. But this wont happen if you have headphones on

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

monkeytennis posted:

Yeah cos goons are always having hot chicks talking to them.

wait, you mean other goons don't!?!?

drat, must suck to be you guys :smug:

brb, time for my schizo meds

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Did you get one fo the first gen ones that went balls out with the branding and even replaced the b key on the keyboard with a giant Beats logo
hahaha that's amazing

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Bitter Mushroom posted:

this is why i live in a country where people dont talk to each other

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

these are pretty much the best cheap headphones

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

From the day they came out I never understood Beats by Dre. But then again I'm not a hip urban youth.

Also I totally get OEM but they're always such a hassle to carry around outside and I feel like a teenager when I let them hang around my neck.

edit: I got these bad boys for like $20 on sale and they're some of the best headphones I've ever owned. Really comfortable, adjustable, and the sound is great. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-...onic+headphones

They're more expensive now, so you may find a better deal, but they're seriously great for home use if you can get them for cheap.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

feld posted:

walking down the sidewalk in what can only be described as clothing made out of oil soaked rags

The way I am picturing this is actually kindof intriguing.

• Locked thread