Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The biggest prank I ever pulled was to pretend I was a good employee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
nothing like a 3.5 hour outage starting at 3am to begin the day!

Thundering herds and applications that aren’t aware of distributed reads will be the death of me I swear.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’m so happy I haven’t beem on call since 2018ish. Might consider it for FAANG levels of compensation but otherwise gently caress that poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hopefully this doesnt affect anyone here but still

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also FTC ruled that non-competes are illegal for salaries under ~150k.
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2024/04/ftc-announces-rule-banning-noncompetes

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I wonder how many Biden has left in the chamber this year. I know student loan debt forgiveness is supposedly happening again.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Vargatron posted:

I wonder how many Biden has left in the chamber this year. I know student loan debt forgiveness is supposedly happening again.
None of this matters if the Supreme Court sides with Starbucks and kills the NLRB

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Two weeks til associates degree. Cant wait to job search alongside the esteemed "Renamed Administrator to Amidnistrator because its friggin hilarious!" guy who totally hosed up his AD/GPO schema due to stupid twee poo poo and "Excuse me, can you help me? I dont remember my Admin password" lady.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Better than that.

150k and a position of policy making. Also, even for those employees that meet the criteria, only existing non-competes are valid when the rule goes into effect. No new non-compete agreements after the effective date for anyone.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dandywalken posted:

Two weeks til associates degree. Cant wait to job search alongside the esteemed "Renamed Administrator to Amidnistrator because its friggin hilarious!" guy who totally hosed up his AD/GPO schema due to stupid twee poo poo and "Excuse me, can you help me? I dont remember my Admin password" lady.

You've saved like $60k+ and have a more useful degree if you're going into deskside support or sysadmin work. Congrats on the associates.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cyks posted:

Better than that.

150k and a position of policy making. Also, even for those employees that meet the criteria, only existing non-competes are valid when the rule goes into effect. No new non-compete agreements after the effective date for anyone.

Oh snap, I somehow missed that. Nice! Thanks for the correction.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So the new job is going miserably to the point that I'm literally considering moving to a different city / bigger metro.

For the people coming in late, last month I left a stable but stagnant Jr sysadmin (and previously help desk lead of three years with the same company) to move to the non-profit space. I wanted to do some unalloyed good in the world and for my sins they let me.

It was in-theory suppose to be a 3 man department with the director, me as network Admin, and a helpdesk person, but I found out in my first day they fired the helpdesk person and I'm covering the function while they work on hiring a new person. It's been a month and we've not even reviewed resumes, let alone started seeing about interviews.

My boss is stuck in 2005 and utterly terrified of anything new or different than how he does things, and quite frankly how he does things sucks. He has a hard rule that all software requests, even free / open source ones, have to go through him for approval and he's stonewalled literally everything I've asked for. Up to and including first party Microsoft software. My request for Visual Studio Code was met with the literal response "Why would you need to code? Can't you just use Dreamweaver?". He claims to be coming from a place of security, yet when I bring up actual security concerns (like all the passwords that live on sticky notes) he blows me off as something they can't do anything about, when I've been proposing solutions (Keepass xc to at least get it in a closed, encrypted store? See also software stonewalling) I brow beat him into letting me spin up a box with ITFlow as a open source, on-prem ITGlue replacement, and all he's done since I got it up and running was complain about having to support a Linux box and make me install PHPMyAdmin on it so he could have direct database access (which again, I butted heads against him with, why spin up another web service on the box when you could just use a DB client like DBeaver or Beekeeper?) and then means to security test the poo poo out of it so he can deny it and go back to his paper records.

It's not even a company culture thing. We have a sister company in the same building with separate IT staff, and the manager of that will make digs about the paper record keeping and general anachronism my boss has. When he talks about what they use on the other side of the building it almost immediately overlaps with software and processes that are in my wheelhouse and I've been actively asking for.

I've been back to looking in indeed for positions, but there's not gently caress around for jobs in Wichita. It may be time to start looking at moving, and I've been trying to figure out where I want to be. The quick and easy options would be either Kansas City or Omaha, but even as far out as Denver or Chicago wouldn't necessarily be awful. I've got some questions for people who've relocated, but it's probably better for the job finding thread.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 24, 2024

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Get out of Kansas whatever you do. I suggest Houston because Houston is cool and good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Houston is only cool until you have the misfortune of stepping outside.

Chicago is a good place to earn a living but a bad place to live.. unless your idea of leisure is getting piss drunk there is fuckall to do outside your home. Climate change has had an overall positive impact on the area though, winters are much more mild and summers aren't as oppressively muggy as they used to be.

Denver is pretty great from an outdoors perspective but cost of living is pretty hosed up, it's near the top for the country.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Houston is okay but it's still Texas which with a lot of good and a lot of bad. I'm also getting into the bind where it's looking like I am going to have to re-locate. It really, really sucks but I can't seem to pick up anything in California or Vegas. I don't know what it is but Phoenix, Dallas, New Jersey and Atlanta are pretty hot markets with recruiters harassing me but I'm a West Coast person.... so :shrug:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Get out of Kansas whatever you do. I suggest Houston because Houston is cool and good.

I extremely do not want to go to a state higher on the CHUD-O-METER than Kansas if I can help it. I get that the Texas metros trend to be pretty reasonable but it's already bad enough as is without going to a state that is off the federal power grid so the power company can jack up your power rates the moment frost shows up. I'd also rather avoid the super huge metros like NY or LA because I don't think I could deal with the density or the cost long term.

The easy options are KC or Omaha, the medium options are Denver or Colorado Springs, hard options are like Phoenix and Chicago and Atlanta. Chaos option is like Cleveland or Pittsburg.

The nice thing is that I'm a traveling swing dancer and I've been to big national events and have a built in social group wherever I go at least.

Edit:

xzzy posted:

Chicago is a good place to earn a living but a bad place to live.. unless your idea of leisure is getting piss drunk there is fuckall to do outside your home. Climate change has had an overall positive impact on the area though, winters are much more mild and summers aren't as oppressively muggy as they used to be.

Shockingly enough, I know the swing dance scene there is really, really strong and I know a couple of the scene leaders there, so there's actually more there for me than you'd think.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 24, 2024

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hit me up

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That sort of job is one where if you aren't careful you accidentally stick around for a couple of years and become completely worthless to employers who aren't living in the early 2000s

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Thanks Ants posted:

That sort of job is one where if you aren't careful you accidentally stick around for a couple of years and become completely worthless to employers who aren't living in the early 2000s

Oh gently caress

Is it a pheromone thing? Should I roll around in a big pile of docker containers to blend in?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

DeathSandwich posted:

I extremely do not want to go to a state higher on the CHUD-O-METER than Kansas if I can help it. I get that the Texas metros trend to be pretty reasonable but it's already bad enough as is without going to a state that is off the federal power grid so the power company can jack up your power rates the moment frost shows up. I'd also rather avoid the super huge metros like NY or LA because I don't think I could deal with the density or the cost long term.

The easy options are KC or Omaha, the medium options are Denver or Colorado Springs, hard options are like Phoenix and Chicago and Atlanta. Chaos option is like Cleveland or Pittsburg.

We moved to northeast of Denver, it's not bad, houses are lol but not lmao expensive. I'm mostly here for the hiking. Have you considered Minneapolis? Cheaper than CO, great for drinking, winters can be rough though

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

tokin opposition posted:

Oh gently caress

Is it a pheromone thing? Should I roll around in a big pile of docker containers to blend in?

It would have to be kubernetes pods but yes

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Hotel Kpro posted:

We moved to northeast of Denver, it's not bad, houses are lol but not lmao expensive. I'm mostly here for the hiking. Have you considered Minneapolis? Cheaper than CO, great for drinking, winters can be rough though
My wife loves CO and we're looking all over the state for jobs so when we get something we can move. Politics are meh but still a positive I think.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife and I moved from Florida to Colorado about 10 years ago and it was probably the best decision we've ever made.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Good call since a lot of Florida is probably going to be under water within a few decades.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

xzzy posted:

what? This is possibly one of the most insane things I have read in this thread.

Like, dead of winter when we have unreasonable cold and with wind chill it's -20 and below? Yes, otherwise lol this statement is absolutely bonkers and I am pretty sure you've never been or lived in Chicago.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MF_James posted:

what? This is possibly one of the most insane things I have read in this thread.

Like, dead of winter when we have unreasonable cold and with wind chill it's -20 and below? Yes, otherwise lol this statement is absolutely bonkers and I am pretty sure you've never been or lived in Chicago.

Yeah those three days of POLAR VORTEX sure are a hardship. Ponds don't even freeze thick enough to skate on anymore.

It ain't nothing like it was 20 years ago where it would be subzero every other week with a foot of snow blowing around.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

xzzy posted:

Yeah those three days of POLAR VORTEX sure are a hardship. Ponds don't even freeze thick enough to skate on anymore.

It ain't nothing like it was 20 years ago where it would be subzero every other week with a foot of snow blowing around.

I am even more confused now, do you only like winter and what goes along with it and that's why there's nothing to do in Chicago?

I wasn't saying it was a hardship, just that you don't go outside during that time, because it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, the only point I was trying to make is that winters in Chicago aren't anywhere near as harsh as they used to be. That's generally a good thing (though I do love snow).

As for having nothing to do, there's very limited natural areas. Lots of bike paths sure but you gotta drive 4+ hours to get to a proper campground in a dense forest. Most of the recreation is indoors.