Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Only 4 channel downstream bonding? What year is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

:chord:

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

yah it is comcast so thanks for the heads up

i know i should just buy my own modem but i'm too lazy to give back mine

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

there are 3 and the shop didnt have the middle one so i got the lowest one :greencube:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

theadder posted:

there are 3 and the shop didnt have the middle one so i got the lowest one :greencube:

Enjoy your 6pm WoW lag

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

suits my needs

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

verizon has been shockingly decent as a landline / fttp provider. they were the biggest assholes ever when i had them for wireless but wireline they've been legit good. they actually shipped me a cablecard without hours of braying and gnashing of teeth, and at my old place i even got them to flip my internet from the coax port to the ethernet jack on the dmark so i didn't even need a moca bridge

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

get a 6141 so u can use 8 downstream channels

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

why

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Less chance of congestion during peak times, more future proof for speed upgrades.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

theres never any congestion they seem 2 have overbuitl here

its a pretty new modem :argh:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theadder posted:

suits my needs

i have lower ping and i'm in corvallis lol

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
is 6141 standard comcast gear? so when poo poo goes wrong with their network (guaranteed) they won't jerk me around when I have to call them?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

computer parts posted:

i'm in corvallis lol

same

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Don Lapre posted:

Xfinitywifi requires you to use your comcast login. So it can count against your 300gb/m

i havent logged onto it recently but iirc they would give one free hour a month per mac address to rando fuckers

e: also thanks for recommending motorola hardware to forums poster jonny 290 thats real considerate (im going to buy an arris i think)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

JumpinJackFlash posted:

is 6141 standard comcast gear? so when poo poo goes wrong with their network (guaranteed) they won't jerk me around when I have to call them?

What? If you get a thing from comcast now they give you their massive arris gateway. But yes, the 6141 is on their approval list.

The 6183 does 16 downstream channels!

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6183-DOCSIS/dp/B00MA5U1FW

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You're a modem, 'arris!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theadder posted:

theres never any congestion they seem 2 have overbuitl here

its a pretty new modem :argh:

4 channels is fine

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

mishaq posted:

640k is fine

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

4 channels will theoretically peak at 150 mbps or whatever, if the plan you have with your ISP is < 150 mbps there's no benefit to having more channels

there's no "contention" issue because your modem isn't fixed to any 4 specific channels being bonded, those can be dynamically reassigned by the network as needed depending on the capacity of each channel

by the time you get a plan that's > 150 mbps you can worry about getting a new modem in the future when they're like 20 bucks

if you pay for > 150 mbps in tyool 2014 stop torrenting animes or whatever

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

tyool 2015 oops

happy new year yospos

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

mishaq posted:

4 channels is fine

thx op

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jonny 290 posted:

i havent logged onto it recently but iirc they would give one free hour a month per mac address to rando fuckers

e: also thanks for recommending motorola hardware to forums poster jonny 290 thats real considerate (im going to buy an arris i think)

arris bought moto's cable stuff so now it's an arris 6141 instead of moto

owned

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

mishaq posted:

4 channels will theoretically peak at 150 mbps or whatever,

if you have the node to yourself

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

More channels allows it to spread your poo poo all over. There is no downside to more channels.

The zoom 5341j is a ~$75 8x4 modem that is better than the moto anyway.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
zoom always struck me as bargain basement knockoff crap

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Their cable modem is legit

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i guess as long as it's docsis compliant and they didnt cheap out on solder/caps/whatever how much difference can there be really

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

if you can get an 8x4 modem that works for the price of 4x4s, sure go ahead

but when you look at charts detailing 16x4 vs 8x4 vs 4x4 for consumers with vastly different prices it's mostly marketing, there's no reason you need to pay more for the higher channel assignments

and I don't even think any US cable companies operate 16 channels currently, but I could be wrong I'm more of a telco guy in my knowledge

it's the same poo poo as advertising 800, 1200, 1600 mbps 802.11ac lovely $100-$200 best buy router tiers

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
16 is rare but twc (maybe comcast too) is using it where it has to compete with google et al. also most 8x4 modems are maybe 10-15 more than a 4x4, if you're buying now there's no sense in painting yourself into a corner. plus if you live in a congested node (distinct possibility) more bandwidth = more consistent service

if you really need to save the 15 bucks, well

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Panty Saluter posted:

zoom always struck me as bargain basement knockoff crap

negative, zoom was a very solid player back in the POTS modem days

of special note is that when i got busted trying to run out the door with a modem in my pants at the local Walmart in 1993, it was a Zoom 28.8kbps internal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

when i got busted...with a modem in my pants

same

• Locked thread