Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

nah, virtual weapons aren't actually harmful. the difference is like, you could like a nerf gun, because its not designed / part of a system of murder / torture.

you could appreciate a sculpture of something terrible.

but if that sculpture murdered thousands of people a year, or was responsible for a vast majority of suicides, there would start to be something incredibly tragic about it and it might not be appropriate to sit around glorifying it. the person that does glorify it at the expense of those lives isn't being internally self-consistent

This sculpture raped and murdered a woman.

To appreciate any sculpture glorifies rape and murder.

cruft posted:

MORE BURNS

AK IS COUNTING ON US

Your argument is so bad your mother sent you to rehab because you tripping on LSD was the only possible explanation.

Your argument is so bad it made Derrida say, "As soon as there is Rasmussen, whatthefuck? has entered the scene."

Your argument is so bad Tony Perkins hired you to lead his lobbying efforts with the Ugandan legislature.

Your argument is so bad it inspired ICP to create the Dark Carnival just so there would be a universe where what you've written makes sense.

Your argument is so bad it makes me want to disinter a twelve-hour old baby goat with hypothermia and its intestines pulled outside of his body so you can cradle him in your arms and explain to him that if you had your way, he would get to keep suffering until he died of its own accord because reasons.

Your argument is so bad, if it was a gun it would be a slice of nutraloaf nibbled into the shape of a Rohm revolver.

Your argument is so bad PETA wouldn't even put it in a garbage bag before tossing it in a dumpster.

Your argument is so bad, Donald Rumsfeld would hold a bake sale to ensure that no man, woman or child would have to be exposed to it ever again.

Your argument is so bad, the folks at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation took one look at it, threw up their hands in despair and walked off the job to became winos.

Your argument is so bad, even the members of the Chinese pro-democracy underground sing the praises of the Great Firewall of China.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

I'm okay. I just... wasn't prepare for the average skill level of this competition I guess. I'll do some burn research.

Oh come on that was like C+ level burning at best.

cruft

joat mon posted:

Your argument is so bad it inspired ICP to create the Dark Carnival just so there would be a universe where what you've written makes sense.

Using this would be a pretty good self-burn I guess :shrug:

joat mon

Your argument is so bad that an extended exegetical discussion of ICP's oeuvre, using only original sources, would be both more coherent and more edifying.

cruft

joat mon posted:

Your argument is so bad that an extended exegetical discussion of ICP's oeuvre, using only original sources, would be both more coherent and more edifying.

Excellent and redeeming!

joke_explainer

joat mon posted:

This sculpture raped and murdered a woman.

To appreciate any sculpture glorifies rape and murder.

Your argument is so bad your mother sent you to rehab because you tripping on LSD was the only possible explanation.

Your argument is so bad it made Derrida say, "As soon as there is Rasmussen, whatthefuck? has entered the scene."

Your argument is so bad Tony Perkins hired you to lead his lobbying efforts with the Ugandan legislature.

Your argument is so bad it makes me want to disinter a twelve-hour old baby goat with hypothermia and its intestines pulled outside of his body so you can cradle him in your arms and explain to him that if you had your way, he would get to keep suffering until he died of its own accord because reasons.

Your argument is so bad, if it was a gun it would be a slice of nutraloaf nibbled into the shape of a Rohm revolver.

Your argument is so bad PETA wouldn't even put it in a garbage bag before tossing it in a dumpster.

Your argument is so bad, Donald Rumsfeld would hold a bake sale to ensure that no man, woman or child would have to be exposed to it ever again.

Your argument is so bad, the folks at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation took one look at it, threw up their hands in despair and walked off the job to became winos.

Your argument is so bad, even the members of the Chinese pro-democracy underground sing the praises of the Great Firewall of China.

These are great.

Did that statue really get used for that? That's terrible. But it's not the primary function of the statue, because then it wouldn't be a statue in that context, it's a bludgeon. It doesn't matter if an object gets incidentally used as a weapon, it's about anything that is or becomes a weapon. The last person you want holding a gun to your head is a dude jacking off to how awesome guns work. Or someone super excited about the way a particular bludgeon crushes skulls. They should be thinking about the consequences of their actions, not how cool their weapons are.

My argument is actually really good. Stop bringing up unrelated poo poo and trying to act like it applies. If it's used as a weapon, it's a weapon. The actual engineering of advanced weapons is a massive, industrialized undertaking to make objects that are really, really good weapons.

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 2, 2014

joke_explainer

Think of the golden rule. Treat others as you would want to be treated. Any lethal use of a weapon to use violates that rule: You don't want to be shot, do you?

Anyway, the original statement wasn't saying 'nobody should have weapons'. It was just anybody that glorifies their use or worships them is the least qualified and most dangerous person to own them. You may have sick burns but your reading comprehension sucks.

dogcrash truther

Bo-Pepper posted:

this sort of debate is just what i come to byob for mm nummy can't get enough

generally think youre ok, but to hell with this

joke_explainer

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

Think of the golden rule. Treat others as you would want to be treated. Any lethal use of a weapon to use violates that rule: You don't want to be shot, do you?

Anyway, the original statement wasn't saying 'nobody should have weapons'. It was just anybody that glorifies their use or worships them is the least qualified and most dangerous person to own them. You may have sick burns but your reading comprehension sucks.

Well, let me amend that. Maybe not the most dangerous. The most dangerous would probably be someone absolutely out to maim / murder somebody with the weapon even though they don't worship / love them. But yeah, other than that...

cruft

Less talk more cock.

And by cock I mean burns.

Kimmalah

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

cruft posted:

Less talk more cock.

And by cock I mean burns.

"cock burns" if you will

cruft

Kimmalah posted:

"cock burns" if you will

Don't mind if I do. :flashfap:

joke_explainer

quote:

What part of what I said implied it was better for the goat to suffer?

No part. I never said the total use of weapons should be completely restricted. I only said people that glorify / worship / praise the beauty of weapons shouldn't own them. The goat euthanizer can use his rifle as a tool, no more worship praise than he'd give his hammer or plow.

joke_explainer

Unfortunately a lot of situations do require weapons. Not in middle america necessarily but, you know. Unavoidable conflicts. Jett is the only person that's had a compelling argument of why someone should be able to worship weapons, but even then that guy should be able to build them but not own them until he grows the gently caress up.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

dogcrash truther posted:

generally think youre ok, but to hell with this

i knew you were lukewarm about me dct i am going to write about this in my diary

cruft

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

Unfortunately a lot of situations do require weapons. Not in middle america necessarily but, you know. Unavoidable conflicts. Jett is the only person that's had a compelling argument of why someone should be able to worship weapons, but even then that guy should be able to build them but not own them until he grows the gently caress up.

If you're doing this ironically you can stop, it's not funny anymore. If you're serious then you would have my gratitude if you :frogout: lest I have to burn you again, or heavens forbid, my thread get sent to GBS.

dogcrash truther

Bo-Pepper posted:

i knew you were lukewarm about me dct i am going to write about this in my diary

whats a diary, is it like a tumblr

OG Necromancer

wait are we actually debateing in here or are these just more sick burns AK can use
also i think its really funny that the gun opponents name is shortened to "AK"

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

dogcrash truther posted:

whats a diary, is it like a tumblr

it's a tiny book covered in fur and dried tears i write in it with a golf pencil

joke_explainer

cruft posted:

If you're doing this ironically you can stop, it's not funny anymore. If you're serious then you would have my gratitude if you :frogout: lest I have to burn you again, or heavens forbid, my thread get sent to GBS.

Aw geeze dude I'm sorry. I was just responding to the other guy's comments. I'll :frogout:.

FluffieDuckie

look what guns have done to us :cry:

dogcrash truther

Bo-Pepper posted:

it's a tiny book covered in fur and dried tears i write in it with a golf pencil

sounds like my scorecard after 18 holes ha ha

OG Necromancer

FluffieDuckie posted:

yeah your right we should probably just get rid of guns

cruft

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

Aw geeze dude I'm sorry. I was just responding to the other guy's comments. I'll :frogout:.

Sorry, the thread topic was making me all burny. But this thread is for coming up with sick burns, not rehashing a 700+ page thread :)

You should totes burn me in the spirit of the thread!

cruft

cruft posted:

Sorry, the thread topic was making me all burny. But this thread is for coming up with sick burns, not rehashing a 700+ page thread :)

You should totes burn me in the spirit of the thread!

I mean, or don't.

This thread sort of blows.

cruft

FluffieDuckie posted:

This is really makin' me think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

What part of what I said implied it was better for the goat to suffer?

No part. I never said the total use of weapons should be completely restricted. I only said people that glorify / worship / praise the beauty of weapons shouldn't own them. The goat euthanizer can use his rifle as a tool, no more worship praise than he'd give his hammer or plow.

Must a tool be ugly or inefficient or poorly engineered or unartful to meet with your acceptance? Why are trains and toasters and cars and pipe organs and clocks allowed to be beautiful, well designed, efficient and artful, and be appreciated by their users as such, but a firearm cannot?

Your argument is so bad, the Israelis have replaced the white phosphorus in their artillery shells with your posts.

Your argument is so bad, the Palestinians are using your posts as fuel for their rockets.

Your argument is so bad, every time you hit 'submit reply,' Obi-wan thinks Alderaan is being destroyed again.

Your argument is so bad, it made a mediocre Austrian painter take up politics because he figured he couldn't do any worse.

Your argument is so bad, the International Committee for Weights and Measures declared the unit for measuring the mass per volume of Neutron stars to be the Rasmussen.

Your argument is so bad, it was mined for use as an essential element of gunpowder up until the 1870s.

Your argument is so bad, Mike Meyers optioned it as a sequel to The Love Guru.

Your argument is so bad, not even John Yoo could countenance its use.

Your argument is so bad, scientists thought they could use it to cure ebola, but they couldn't find a single medical ethicist who would allow trials to proceed.

• Locked thread