Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Do any of you guys have any suggestions on where to source prints of old, less well known, artwork? I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of Sergei Lukin's 'It Has Come To Pass' (apparently also known as 'Inevitable' and 'Bolshevik Stands Guard Inside The Winter Palace'). I've looked absolutely everywhere, but there just doesn't seem to be any English language seller stocking it - certainly not the major sites. It's a shame, because it's one of my favourite pieces (don't ask) and I'd love to have it up on my wall.

edit: If there's a general requests thread I've missed feel free to close this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
if its in a museum's collection, call the museum and ask, a lot of museums will do high quality print runs of pieces in their collections - usually these go for under 100 bucks and are decent

if it's traveled in a show other museums may have done similar depending on the lending agreement or published materials for that show

a catalog raisonne for the artist may have info about shows like that

if it's in a private collection you're SOL... you could look for a nice printed version in a book and get it blown up but it will still look like poo poo...

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -
Did find it on an old "Christies" auction (different version) sold for under 1k, not sure if they would reprint as I think it did end up in private hands. I haven't much experience with reprints but did get my hands on a war time reprint, only because the original was popular at the time, so unsure if a common practice, or a one-off thing. Be interesting to find out.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

BoilerRoom posted:

Did find it on an old "Christies" auction (different version) sold for under 1k, not sure if they would reprint as I think it did end up in private hands. I haven't much experience with reprints but did get my hands on a war time reprint, only because the original was popular at the time, so unsure if a common practice, or a one-off thing. Be interesting to find out.

Is there anywhere with infomation on who owns works at present?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
If your question is about easily accessible internet, probably not.

I did a quick lookup on several of the usual suspects I try and could find no information at all really on this guy, if he is a relatively minor figure your best bet is to start at a library at a research university with a decent collection of books on your time period, I said start with the catalog raisonne but this guy looks so tiny he probably doesn't have one. Still if I was gonna start digging it would be at a library.

Depending on your budget you might just keep an eye out on online (or real life if you live near NYC/Chicago/LA) auctions. You can pick up stuff from the turn of the century forward from lesser-known artists for really decent prices, or do a minimum bid on a piece and hope nobody bids on it - which happens often. If you're not dead set on this artist, this specific piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
To add to this, if it's been published anywhere you might be able to get the files from the publisher, or ask them who the rightsholder is.

Private collections are a bitch, and usually auction house photography is not great

• Locked thread