Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Yes. Crime is not caused by the mere fact of being poor, as can be seen from the fact that overall poverty rates and crime rates have no high-level correlation. However, some people are more likely to both be poor and be criminals. Furthermore, essentially all criminality is caused by developmental factors, and the big elephant in the room of developmental factors is child abuse and neglect.

Again, this is not exactly breaking new ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unseen
Dec 23, 2006
I'll drive the tanker
I'm my area (south nh). The typical reasons for theft are:

1. Drug abuse i.e. heroine, meth, prescriptions. Feeding an addiction.

2. Kids looking for excitement.

Ask the guy with the "hungry and homeless" sign what he wants to eat. The response will be cash.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
And all of those factors just happen to have a high correlation with poverty. What a coincidence.

Of course not all poor people turn to crime. That is something I had a lot of trouble making my parents understand. When they were kids my parents were absolutely miserable. Miserable as in "never drunk milk growing up" miserable. Miserable as in "one brother died of appendicitis because there was no money to pay for a doctor" miserable.
Out of 14 children between my grandparents, 6 died before they were 10 due to malnutrition and lack of medical care.

My mother especially couldn't get into her head why the slums are insane criminal breeding grounds. "We suffered so much and we didn't turn to crime, young people just want money to party."

No, you did turn to crime mom, you told me plenty of times how sometimes you and your siblings would wake up in the middle of the night and walk several miles to a cornfield or an orchard and steal food from the latifundia. No, that wan't any different. You know what was different? You grew up in the country, with fresh air and plenty of space to run around. Everyone around you was poor, they had nothing you could steal. The people with the money lived in manors and you barely ever saw them. If you started a criminal career you'd be immediately caught on the grounds that you weren't starving.

If instead you had grown up in a slum with rats all around, no work, no food you could steal during the night and everywhere you saw people well dressed well shod and with all the things the TV is constantly telling you you need, if the only people in your neighborhood that didn't skip meals every other day were the criminals you probably would have turned to crime.

Sure, not all poor people are criminals. There is also the environment and opportunity to take into account as well as how much you have ingrained learned helplessness. And that's not even getting into substance abuse, something that once again has a high correlation with poverty.

I genuinely don't get the point you are trying to make. That not all poor people turn to crime? That not all criminals are poor? Congratu-loving-lations, give the man a cigar!

You keep saying "well people that grow up in poo poo tend to end up criminals and growing up poor is a strong indicator you'll be growing up in poo poo but not everyone does so poverty doesn't cause crime".
Sure, poverty doesn't cause crime, it just makes it that it's very likely you'll turn into a criminal. :downsbravo:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 5, 2014

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Normally it's pedantic to point out that there are no criminals, only people who committed crimes, but seeing as meat sweats decided to grace us /w he posting...

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004
Pretty sure no one cares about petty non-violent crime. There is even a proposition on the California ballot this fall to downgrade many of these crimes from felonies to misdemeanors because the state doesn't want them in prison anymore.

On the other hand, drug-related crime and white collar crime are highly political and highly interesting. Also both are driven by greedy middle class or upper middle class people, not poverty.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Normally it's pedantic to point out that there are no criminals, only people who committed crimes, but seeing as meat sweats decided to grace us /w he posting...

Pedantic and absolutely wrong. Do you ever go outside? There are people who have it in them to break into someone else's house and steal poo poo to pawn for cash, and people who don't. Only someone who's totally down the solipsistic rabbit hole of "but Bakunin said all motivation is due to dialectical materialism" could not see this from their interaction with other human beings.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

meat sweats posted:

There are people who have it in them to break into someone else's house and steal poo poo to pawn for cash, and people who don't.

They, of course, do this because they are criminals.

I wasn't addressing you in that post for a reason.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Next time you're out driving, go exactly the speed limit. Everyone who passes you is a criminal.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Unseen posted:

I'm my area (south nh). The typical reasons for theft are:

1. Drug abuse i.e. heroine, meth, prescriptions. Feeding an addiction.

2. Kids looking for excitement.

Ask the guy with the "hungry and homeless" sign what he wants to eat. The response will be cash.

Of course they want cash, they don't want food that sickos have tampered with.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
According to the demographics of crime it looks like genetics is the biggest indicator OP.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Powercrazy posted:

According to the demographics of crime it looks like genetics is the biggest indicator OP.

Minorities must have gotten a really raw deal in the gattaca roulette.

e:
poo poo. :thejoke: I missed it didn't I?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SedanChair posted:

Of course they want cash, they don't want food that sickos have tampered with.
Maybe they should have thought of that before freely choosing to be predestined to suffering and damnation. I'd say 'better luck next time' but heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MeLKoR posted:

Minorities must have gotten a really raw deal in the gattaca roulette.

e:
poo poo. :thejoke: I missed it didn't I?

You get partial credit for realizing it :)

• Locked thread