Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhenInRome
if you wish to melt down or are planning to melt down soon, please post in this thread only. this is to keep byob orderly and happy. thank you for your understanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao

reserved for future meltdown

problematic hug

umm i'm supposed to melt down today but, well tbqh i don't know how. do you have some .. pamphlets?

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Finn Pennywhistle posted:

umm i'm supposed to melt down today but, well tbqh i don't know how. do you have some .. pamphlets?

gaylord nito was an easy poo poo boss

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

i'm losing it, etc..

cuntman.net

Putty posted:

shots fired

vapoursquid

none other
p much at my limit guys!

Kimmalah

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

problematic hug

Putty posted:

i appreciate you trying to help, putty. i typed up a fake meltdown but it didn't feel right

Kimmalah

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

i killed some bosses yesterday, it was pretty rad

tyler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Owjaa5ATjs&t=99s

tyler fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 5, 2014

tao of lmao

if someone could post some wu tang that might really send me over the edge

problematic hug

Putty posted:

tao of lmao

we've got a storm brewin

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655597&pagenumber=1#lastpost

RamenDoctor

"I hate you all"

Divine Zweihander. Problem solved

WhenInRome

Air Julio posted:

if someone could post some wu tang that might really send me over the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBwAxmrE194

here you go, i hope your meltdown goes well!

LappyDore64

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90vZqynTlrc

lovely pervo animes and meltdowns, two things yobbers love

tao of lmao

WhenInRome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBwAxmrE194

here you go, i hope your meltdown goes well!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

cruft

Gonna meltdown itt.

Prepare yourselves.

:munch:

cruft

Okay, jackasses, we need to talk about coffeepal.

Samliakki's original coffee.png was a damned work of art. This is universally acknowledged, and if you disagree then you can piss off right now because you have horrible taste and nobody cares what you think.

When my new dog made a smaller version of it, the :coffeepal: emote dream got a step closer to reality. And now we're at a voting stage. But some of you idiots are not taking this seriously. THIS IS NOT A JOKE, jerks! This is coffeepal. This is important.

Quit voting for dumb stuff like . What is that poo poo? It's not a coffee pal, that's for sure. You think this is funny? This is $30 for a feature that's going to last for decades! A LOVELY LAD and I have spent, like, dozens of minutes making high-quality small emotes for consideration. Don't make a mockery of our hard work!

You guys who are treating this like a big game, and you know who you are, just knock it right the hell off. Otherwise I'm going to team up with Angry Fish and own you so hard that you start shopping around for title insurance.

In closing:

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 5, 2014

dogcrash truther

Salmiakki

cruft posted:

Okay, jackasses, we need to talk about coffeepal.

Samliakki's original coffee.png was a damned work of art. This is universally acknowledged, and if you disagree then you can piss off right now because you have horrible taste and nobody cares what you think.

When my new dog made a smaller version of it, the :coffeepal: emote dream got a step closer to reality. And now we're at a voting stage. But some of you idiots are not taking this seriously. THIS IS NOT A JOKE, jerks! This is coffeepal. This is important.

Quit voting for dumb stuff like . What is that poo poo? It's not a coffee pal, that's for sure. You think this is funny? This is $30 for a feature that's going to last for decades! A LOVELY LAD and I have spent, like, dozens of minutes making high-quality small emotes for consideration. Don't make a mockery of our hard work!

You guys who are treating this like a big game, and you know who you are, just knock it right the hell off. Otherwise I'm going to team up with Angry Fish and own you so hard that you start shopping around for title insurance.

In closing:

im meltin down bc you misspelled my username

cruft

Salmiakki posted:

im meltin down bc you misspelled my username

Look what you jerks made me do, you made me so angry that I totally butchered Salamander's username.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
workign on some improvements

i am he

how do you vote for this one? i dont see it on the poll

cruft

i am he posted:

how do you vote for this one? i dont see it on the poll

:fuckoff:

cruft

Welp. Guess my meltdown worked. :glomp:

Police Automaton
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
SO DONT loving BUY IT, DONT loving DRINK IT, DONT loving CLICK MY LINKS.

I mean Christ, all I did was make this thread to support a product which actually pleasantly surprised me, and folks are voting this thread "crap" and suggesting I'm scamming them. I've said repeatedly that this was just my experience and in no way should indicate how everybody else will feel. I've said the links to Amazon were referrals, so I'm not trying to hide anything. I've-

ahh gently caress it, I'm closing this thread, gently caress you and gently caress GBS, I can never post a single goddamn thread in here without you faggots making GBS threads it up in some way or another. I should've learned my lesson long ago and never left the intelligent, rational forum where I don't have to deal with clueless idiots and morons like you people. I'm going back to FYAD and staying there, since it has a microscopic fraction of the retards and trolls populating GBS.

I guess that should strike me as being ironic, but it's more sad to me than anything. Thanks for running me out of my own goddamn forum.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

haha oh mangosteen

cruft

Police Automaton posted:

I mean Christ, all I did was make this thread to support a product which actually pleasantly surprised me, and folks are voting this thread "crap" and suggesting I'm scamming them. I've said repeatedly that this was just my experience and in no way should indicate how everybody else will feel. I've said the links to Amazon were referrals, so I'm not trying to hide anything. I've-

ahh gently caress it, I'm closing this thread, gently caress you and gently caress GBS, I can never post a single goddamn thread in here without you faggots making GBS threads it up in some way or another. I should've learned my lesson long ago and never left the intelligent, rational forum where I don't have to deal with clueless idiots and morons like you people. I'm going back to FYAD and staying there, since it has a microscopic fraction of the retards and trolls populating GBS.

I guess that should strike me as being ironic, but it's more sad to me than anything. Thanks for running me out of my own goddamn forum.

That's better than mine :(

FluffieDuckie

Police Automaton posted:

this is a thing of beauty

i am he

the mangosteen meltdown

Salmiakki

Police Automaton posted:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

in a world where even lowtax can fall to the perils of the meltdown is anyone safe

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
i almost had a meltdown once but i just stopped posting for a week instead. it was good and refreshing

LappyDore64

by XyloJW
The Meltdown perk creates a damaging corona of shitposts whenever you brutally self-own in any discussion at any time.

OG Necromancer

i am so completely loving sick of all you shitlords
RRRRAARARUAGRARURAUARUARUARURAURGAURHUAHR

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
At 1:23:04 a.m. the experiment began. Four of the Main Circulating Pumps (MCP) were active; of the eight total, six are normally active during regular operation. The steam to the turbines was shut off, beginning a run-down of the turbine generator. The diesel generator started and sequentially picked up loads; the generators were to have completely picked up the MCPs' power needs by 01:23:43. In the interim, the power for the MCPs was to be supplied by the turbine generator as it coasted down. As the momentum of the turbine generator decreased, however, so did the power it produced for the pumps. The water flow rate decreased, leading to increased formation of steam voids (bubbles) in the core.

Because of the positive void coefficient of the RBMK reactor at low reactor power levels, it was now primed to embark on a positive feedback loop, in which the formation of steam voids reduced the ability of the liquid water coolant to absorb neutrons, which in turn increased the reactor's power output. This caused yet more water to flash into steam, giving yet a further power increase. During almost the entire period of the experiment the automatic control system successfully counteracted this positive feedback, continuously inserting control rods into the reactor core to limit the power rise. However, this system had control of only 12 rods, and nearly all others had been manually retracted.

At 1:23:40, as recorded by the SKALA centralized control system, an emergency shutdown of the reactor, which inadvertently triggered the explosion, was initiated. The SCRAM was started when the EPS-5 button (also known as the AZ-5 button) of the reactor emergency protection system was pressed: this engaged the drive mechanism on all control rods to fully insert them, including the manual control rods that had been incautiously withdrawn earlier. The reason why the EPS-5 button was pressed is not known, whether it was done as an emergency measure in response to rising temperatures, or simply as a routine method of shutting down the reactor upon completion of the experiment.

There is a view that the SCRAM may have been ordered as a response to the unexpected rapid power increase, although there is no recorded data conclusively proving this. Some have suggested that the button was not pressed, and instead the signal was automatically produced by the emergency protection system; however, the SKALA clearly registered a manual SCRAM signal. In spite of this, the question as to when or even whether the EPS-5 button was pressed has been the subject of debate. There are assertions that the pressure was caused by the rapid power acceleration at the start, and allegations that the button was not pressed until the reactor began to self-destruct but others assert that it happened earlier and in calm conditions.[39]:578[40]

After the EPS-5 button was pressed, the insertion of control rods into the reactor core began. The control rod insertion mechanism moved the rods at 0.4 m/s, so that the rods took 18 to 20 seconds to travel the full height of the core, about 7 meters. A bigger problem was a flawed graphite-tip control rod design, which initially displaced neutron-absorbing coolant with moderating graphite before introducing replacement neutron-absorbing boron material to slow the reaction. As a result, the SCRAM actually increased the reaction rate in the upper half of the core as the tips displaced water. This behavior was known after a shutdown of another RBMK reactor induced an initial power spike, but as the SCRAM of that reactor was successful, the information was not widely disseminated.

A few seconds after the start of the SCRAM, the graphite rod tips entered the fuel pile. A massive power spike occurred, and the core overheated, causing some of the fuel rods to fracture, blocking the control rod columns and jamming the control rods at one-third insertion, with the graphite tips in the middle of the core. Within three seconds the reactor output rose above 530 MW.[24]:31

The subsequent course of events was not registered by instruments; it is known only as a result of mathematical simulation. Apparently, the power spike caused an increase in fuel temperature and massive steam buildup, leading to a rapid increase in steam pressure. This caused the fuel cladding to fail, releasing the fuel elements into the coolant, and rupturing the channels in which these elements were located.[41]

Then, according to some estimations, the reactor jumped to around 30,000 MW thermal, ten times the normal operational output. The last reading on the control panel was 33,000 MW. It was not possible to reconstruct the precise sequence of the processes that led to the destruction of the reactor and the power unit building, but a steam explosion, like the explosion of a steam boiler from excess vapor pressure, appears to have been the next event. There is a general understanding that it was steam from the wrecked fuel channels escaping into the reactor's exterior cooling structure that caused the destruction of the reactor casing, tearing off and lifting the 2000-ton upper plate, to which the entire reactor assembly is fastened, sending it through the roof of the reactor building. Apparently, this was the first explosion that many heard.[42]:366 This explosion ruptured further fuel channels, as well as severing most of the coolant lines feeding the reactor chamber, and as a result the remaining coolant flashed to steam and escaped the reactor core. The total water loss in combination with a high positive void coefficient further increased the reactor's thermal power.

A second, more powerful explosion occurred about two or three seconds after the first; this explosion dispersed the damaged core and effectively terminated the nuclear chain reaction. However, this explosion also compromised more of the reactor containment vessel and ejected superheated lumps of graphite moderator. The ejected graphite and the demolished channels still in the remains of the reactor vessel caught fire on exposure to air, greatly contributing to the spread of radioactive fallout and the contamination of outlying areas.[43]

According to observers outside Unit 4, burning lumps of material and sparks shot into the air above the reactor. Some of them fell onto the roof of the machine hall and started a fire. About 25 percent of the red-hot graphite blocks and overheated material from the fuel channels was ejected. Parts of the graphite blocks and fuel channels were out of the reactor building. As a result of the damage to the building an airflow through the core was established by the high temperature of the core. The air ignited the hot graphite and started a graphite fire.[24]:32

There were initially several hypotheses about the nature of the second explosion. One view was that the second explosion was caused by hydrogen, which had been produced either by the overheated steam-zirconium reaction or by the reaction of red-hot graphite with steam that produced hydrogen and carbon monoxide. Another hypothesis was that the second explosion was a thermal explosion of the reactor as a result of the uncontrollable escape of fast neutrons caused by the complete water loss in the reactor core.[44] A third hypothesis was that the explosion was a second steam explosion. According to this version, the first explosion was a more minor steam explosion in the circulating loop, causing a loss of coolant flow and pressure, that in turn caused the water still in the core to flash to steam. This second explosion then did the majority of the damage to the reactor and containment building.

However, the sheer force of the second explosion, and the ratio of xenon radioisotopes released during the event, indicate that the second explosion could have been a nuclear power transient; the result of the melting core material, in the absence of its cladding, water coolant and moderator, undergoing runaway prompt criticality similar to the explosion of a fizzled nuclear weapon.[45] This nuclear excursion released 40 billion joules of energy, the equivalent of about ten tons of TNT. The analysis indicates that the nuclear excursion was limited to a small portion of the core.[45]

Contrary to safety regulations, bitumen, a combustible material, had been used in the construction of the roof of the reactor building and the turbine hall. Ejected material ignited at least five fires on the roof of the adjacent reactor 3, which was still operating. It was imperative to put those fires out and protect the cooling systems of reactor 3.[24]:42 Inside reactor 3, the chief of the night shift, Yuri Bagdasarov, wanted to shut down the reactor immediately, but chief engineer Nikolai Fomin would not allow this. The operators were given respirators and potassium iodide tablets and told to continue working. At 05:00, however, Bagdasarov made his own decision to shut down the reactor, leaving only those operators there who had to work the emergency cooling systems.[24]:44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko

Has anyone attempted a meltup yet?

• Locked thread