Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yousomuscle
Sep 13, 2012
I have been writing and recording some songs about my experiences playing the videogame Eve Online with with SA Goonfleet people, mostly for the sake of a creative outlet and to give my internet friends something to laugh about. I've had some songs up on Soundcould for a little while now, and I've been getting some very nice feedback so far. However, I wanted to ask some fellow music nerds, and people who know a lot more about production and recording than I do their opinion on my work. I am a broke-rear end graduate student, so my setup is appropriately dirt cheap.

First of all, here is the soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/governer-shreds

The whole setup I am using is:
Sterling Audio SP50. http://www.sterlingaudio.net/products/index.cfm?product=SP50-30&modId=0 One mic for everything.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4: http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i4

Gibson Explorer and Ibanez S-Series through a Line 6 Spider VI 120-watt amp

Epiphone Thunderbird bass

All the drums are EZDrummer/Drumkit from Hell

Lastly, I'm recording and mixing everything through Garageband on my iMac.

I know it's very DIY and the songs aren't all evenly mixed/leveled, but I'm learning as I'm going. If there is any advice or commentary that you can provide to make my work better, I would appreciate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djkp
Feb 14, 2004

Dance to the beat
To me (listening through my Sennheiser HD 595s) I like the part right before 2:00 in "Fight Me at the Sun." :)

Do you have the stems for it? I wouldn't mind taking a stab at mixing them down in Presonus Studio One and giving you the result if you want. To me the guitar could use a little more "meat" in the mid-range at first listen.

Props for putting it all up, man.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Not sure what the mixing/FX possibilities are like in GarageBand, but overall I think the midrange is lacking too much in the backing tracks. I understand that you need space to put the vocals, but I feel it's a bit much at this point.

Personally I'm a huge proponent of using distortion on everything before it hits whatever compressor you might have on the track, dialed in until you can hear it working, and then dialed back a bit, maybe mixed in 30% wet or so, just to give everything a bit more crunch and impact, as well as emphasizing your dynamics somewhat.

If you want your drums to sound thicker, try New York style compression, basically heavily compressing your drums and mixing them with the uncompressed version to get your transients back. Also, distortion.

Rhythm guitar: you could get a lot more impact by using a bit less distortion and double-tracking. Then add some distortion via FX later on to sparkle it up a bit. Experiment with putting it before or after the EQ; I think you'll find that post-EQ will gel in the mix better, but the added midrange might get in the way of other stuff.

The vocal levels on Fight Me and Violence In Me are way too high for my taste, they could come down by a good 4-6db and probably still be heard plenty good. You might also want to play with double-tracking the lead vocal for the verses, cutting the lows and highs out of the double, and mixing it in about 6-10db less than the lead vocal just to thicken things up more. It might also benefit from more reverb, which can add another layer of thickness any time your voice wavers in pitch by providing a tailing pseudo-double. Don't overdo it, but see if you can add some subtle space to the mix.

Nerd on!

snorch fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 10, 2014

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I listened to parts of most of these.
guitar sounds is lacking midrange, probably needs high pass.
Your voice is pretty good, the arrangements are interesting.
it is possible you need a better space to record vocals in or some acoustic treatment of whatever space you are using.
The drums (programmed, I take it) are pretty much just distracting, I think it would sound much nicer with live drums.
The the overall mix could use some polishing in most cases.
My two cents, your mileage may vary.
Send me an mp3 of something without drums I will see about adding them.

• Locked thread