Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS

Album title: Stuck In A Dream
Band: Bike Thief
URL: https://soundcloud.com/bikethief/sets/stuck-in-a-dream/s-W5aBy
Genre: indie rock with touches of folk, pop, psychedelic, prog, chamber/baroque rock, avant garde...ah, hell, just give it a spin
Total length: 10 tracks for 43 minutes and change

I'm the lead guitarist for Bike Thief, a Portland, OR, based indie rock band. About a month ago we finished recording and mixing our new full-length album, Stuck In A Dream. This is the band's first full-length; a previous incarnation released a 6-song EP last year, but I wasn't involved with that so, y'know, gently caress it. I'm all up in this beast of a record, though, and even though it's not being released until the end of August I find it difficult to contain my enthusiasm. That means I'm sneaking out a SoundCloud preview of the whole drat thing for your listening pleasure.

We're also gearing up to launch the first single from Stuck In A Dream: "The Burning Past." We managed to make a legit video for the track. It is pretty goddamn amazing. I mean, sure, I'm biased, but there's some serious entertainment value there, as long as you're into flaming horses and psycho dog heads and BLOOOOOOD. Dig these screen caps (though the best stuff is in the vid):

Stuck In A Dream also happens to be the first full-length record that I've helped to create. It probably goes without saying that I am super-stoked. Our recording sessions went on for about a month, and I was there every day for as long as I could manage. I overdubbed tons of guitar stuff, sure, but my presence also entailed logging many 10-hour days of patient listening, taking session notes, giving performance feedback to my bandmates, helping to interpret our frontman's crazy demands from our engineer (artists, man), etc. Seriously, nobody ever told me how seemingly mundane it gets when you're making a record. Still, I'll take it any day of the week over your average 9-to-5 gig. And the end result is a motherfucking record. One that we all put a lot of sweat into. I think it shows.

Assorted facts and figures:
  • Bike Thief itself is a quintet, but we utilized the talents of an additional 15 session musicians to get the sound we were after, plus however many were in the drat children's choir (didn't count 'em because it was a weird day at the studio what with a group of tiny humans running around everywhere).
  • Speaking of the studio: we recorded at Cloud City Sound, a phenomenal place with a spiffy sci-fi vibe. It was pretty much my home away from home for the month, so I feel doubly lucky that it was such a cool, cozy place to be. A studio that fosters creative freedom/exploration, all made possible by an awesome crew of engineers, assistants and interns, is a great place to record.
  • I can't get super-detailed about my guitar rig, because I was sort of flying by the seat of my pants, randomly grabbing pedals from Cloud City's collection. Would've liked to have kept a record of every last piece of equipment utilized but I was sorta preoccupied. Still, the basics: my guitar is a black Mexi Strat with upgraded pickups (Suhr, if I remember correctly). One track got a little of my Gibson Midtown Custom. I used my Twin Reverb, a reissue from the mid 2000s, for most of the tracking, with my Vox AC30 (also a reissue) on some of the more aggressive stuff. As for what came between the guitar and the amp, well, that's where it gets complicated. Overdrive/distortion was mainly via Tube Screamer, with a little RAT and Big Muff thrown in for good measure. There's reverb everywhere, and that was either onboard the Twin or via a Holy Grail. There was an old Space Echo at the studio, which I used as often as I was able, although I might have used my DD6 on one or two tracks for a more subtle delay effect. There was also an old Mu-Tron Phasor that got a lot of use, as well as a Stereo Polychorus and some additional Boss effects (a chorus pedal and a flange pedal, I think). I'm not fully aware of what sorts of rack processing was going on, and that's true for mixing effects as well. :iiam: Next time I'm writing it all down, I swear.
  • drat near everything I played was scripted within an inch of its life, which is fine. However, my favorite moments on the record are the ones where I got to play it a little more loose (including the entirety of the last track, which was totally improvised on my end). One concrete example: the guitar solo in "Shimmer," composed on the spot at the end of an exhausting day. That was the first song that I tracked, so it helped to set a positive vibe for the rest of my contributions.
  • There is some really crazy percussion stuff going on all over this record. Our drummer is the poo poo; he brought in all sorts of cool instruments(tubular bells, timpani, vibraphone, suspended cymbals, udu, etc.). My favorite percussion moment was recording a link of chain falling into a ceramic dish. We put a big-rear end length of PVC pipe between the mic and the dish, then ran additional reverb backwards. :aaaaa:
  • How cool is that cover? Really cool, right? The original version was made using some crazy paints that go nuts under black light or something. I dunno, magic. Still, the normal image itself is a thing of beauty. Big version (REALLY BIG) available here.
  • If you're the sort of person who is interested in comparing the old version of Bike Thief with the new version, there is one track that both the old EP and Stuck In A Dream share: "Ghosts Of Providence" ("Ghost of Providence 1" on the EP). The EP is available on Bandcamp. An interesting evolution is sketched out there, I think. And credit where credit is due: I'm using quite a few of the previous guitarist's parts. Thanks, guy. I got my own spin on most of 'em now, though.
I'm ready and willing to answer any questions that might pop up here. I can even relay information from the other members of the band if anyone has any viola-specific questions. What the hell is wrong with you, but I'll still do it.

e:updated link to video

MonkeyOnFire fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I feel like I've seen the Bike Thief name before. Have you all had show flyers on Hawthorne earlier this year, or am I imagining it?

Anyway, this is definitely a solid album. It took me a while to get into it, but once I got to the last few tracks I was digging it a lot. The last two tracks are especially awesome, and I love the longer form. I'll definitely have to try and catch you guys at a show sometime. Cool stuff!

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I feel like I've seen the Bike Thief name before. Have you all had show flyers on Hawthorne earlier this year, or am I imagining it?

I think that's pretty drat likely. I don't help put up fliers because I'm a terrible bandmate I live in Oregon City, but we must have had stuff up for the last show we played at the Doug Fir (late May?).

Very nice to get a little love for the last couple tracks. I hope we head away from the more pop-oriented stuff in the future, and that last track provides a pretty clear alternative that will be worth aiming for. It's my favorite thing on the album by a pretty wide margin. Nice and proggy. Doesn't hurt to get a little room to stretch out on my solo, either.

If you're able to make it to the record release show, we'll be playing at Bunk Bar on August 30. We've got another great local band (The Weather Machine) on the bill with us. Plus, y'know, sandwiches. Should be swell. :banjo:

Two more updates: one, we've now got band shirts available on bandcamp. Here's what they look like:

Two, the PR team we're working with got their pants all poopy about the fact that we snuck out previews of the video. If at some point the link in the OP doesn't work, it's because they wanted to wipe the slate clean and start fresh so they can trick media outlets into thinking they get first crack at it. I REGRET NOTHING!

e: The link in the OP has now been fixed; the video premiered earlier today on The Music Ninja with a nice write-up.

MonkeyOnFire fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 19, 2014

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS
Not normally a fan of thread necromancy, but we've essentially finalized our tour dates/venues for the next month or so, and I thought anyone who enjoyed hearing the album might be interested in checking out a show near them. We just found out this morning that we're going to need to rework the Denver show and the Syracuse show, so if anyone is interested in either of those dates I can update as soon as I get the info. Here's the tour poster:

Also worth noting: we just released a kickin' lyric video for our next single a couple days ago via the deli. This track, "Ghosts of Providence," is probably the catchiest on the album, so I'm hoping it'll serve as a gateway to the rest of our music for interested listeners. Plus I really dig my tone on the guitar solo right before the final chorus. So gooey.

• Locked thread