Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
consolation pity easily claimed

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
restart steam

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
format c:

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

thanks, op.

you see, these are the kind of threads that we need to see here in the imp zone. just friendly threads that are thinking about our fellow gamers. really impressed with you op for not just thinking about yourself.

keep it up

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I'll be damned, this is actually true. Well, sort of.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
h*ly poo poo!

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
Sweet! But we can go further.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:waycool:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Whatever. Modern game engines don't really need complete rewriting and redesigning anymore. You usually just rewrite the parts that need modernization as you go. You can change the renderer and support a bunch of cool new tech without throwing away the editor stuff that might already work fine for the most part. If a software company's trying to sell you a game with "totally new engine" as a bullet point on the box, there's a 98% chance that it's a rebranding decision taken from their marketing dept. They'll gladly defend the decision too, by claiming that enough was changed in the engine's development environment to warrant a name change. That's pretty much bullshit though since a majority of productions do significant changes to the engine as they go.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Gimbal lock posted:

Whatever. Modern game engines don't really need complete rewriting and redesigning anymore. You usually just rewrite the parts that need modernization as you go. You can change the renderer and support a bunch of cool new tech without throwing away the editor stuff that might already work fine for the most part. If a software company's trying to sell you a game with "totally new engine" as a bullet point on the box, there's a 98% chance that it's a rebranding decision taken from their marketing dept. They'll gladly defend the decision too, by claiming that enough was changed in the engine's development environment to warrant a name change. That's pretty much bullshit though since a majority of productions do significant changes to the engine as they go.

portal 2 had loading screens because source literally can't stream maps

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

just think about that, not being able to stream maps in loving 2011, jak and daxter came out 10 years before that

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 12, 2014

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
has anyone been able to test out the auth tools for making non dota 2 maps? i tried to dl it a few times but steam is a piece of poo poo that keeps deleting several gigs worth of my partial download

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

It's a common misconception and has a lot to do with my day job. It's silly but it has become a pet peeve of mine V:shobon:V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Falsum posted:

I'll be damned, this is actually true. Well, sort of.

This means we really are never getting HL3.

• Locked thread