Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ecoplan
Dec 27, 2006

Yes, I'm an economical Planters. Don't you dare eat me.
Hello everyone,
I have a computer that I converted as a server that will be running 24/7. It's mainly media (PLEX) and files server. What would be your recommended Windows settings / applications for maximizing energy consumption ***efficiency***?

I have a chromecast connected to it by WiFi, would wake on lan be possible?

Thanks!

ecoplan fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Put prime95 small FFt's and furmark in startup.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yes what Don said, also I hope you have an AMD CPU, a ton of WD Black hard drives, and a big-rear end CRT.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Finally a problem to which the solution is bitcoin mining.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

beejay posted:

a ton of WD Black hard drives

No no no, you want these.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Add a bunch of Peltier coolers to things, as well as space heater coils to automatically thaw the motherboard when it freezes. Cool the Peltier hot side with water loops hooked up to an air conditioner compressor.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Don Lapre posted:

Put prime95 small FFt's and furmark in startup.

Also run Crystal Disk Mark over and over to keep your hard drives going.

ecoplan
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah.. I just read my title.. I was meaning maximizing energy efficiency

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Oh! Well then.

Does the motherboard support overclocking? If so, you might want to underclock the CPU. Often you can lower the operating voltage quite a bit for only a relatively small reduction in clock speed, greatly improving the performance/power ratio for tasks like encoding. If it's Sandy Bridge or later, you can play with the Turbo Boost settings to keep a momentary Turbo available while still running at lower clocks long-term, and this will improve power consumption slightly over a flat long-term low clock.

If you can't underclock, you might go to the Windows power options and set a lower-than-100% maximum CPU state. It should work well, but it won't be as good an improvement as manual underclocking.

Set any hard drives you use only infrequently to spin down after a while. Usually a length like 30 minutes or an hour is good. If you're going to use Wake on LAN, might as well set the sleep timer for the same length of time.

In terms of programs, the fewer the merrier. Don't install everything you would use on a desktop. Don't leave a web browser open. Heck, if you don't need to print from the machine, disable the Print Spooler service. Think minimalism.

But, you know, balance the marginal milliwatt with the effort you have to put into turning shutting off unneeded Windows bits.

If the server will be run without a monitor (or even if it has a monitor, but won't typically be used as a desktop), then set Windows to prioritize background tasks:

quote:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click System.
  2. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Performance.
  3. Click the Advanced tab, click Background services, and then click OK twice.

You can use the command powercfg -ENERGY from an elevated command prompt to get a power consumption report and use that to diagnose what may be preventing the system from sitting around quietly.

Windows 8.1 is a bit more energy efficient than Windows 7, if you have the choice (and are using Windows).

Re: Wake on LAN, a Chromecast is a really dumb device and cannot manage that at all. WoL requires a special network packet to be sent. You would need to use a media software that supported WoL. PLEX does this, I believe - you would set up WoL on the system, install a PLEX app on your phone or tablet, and then use the device to initiate playback to the Chromecast. That *should* send a magic packet and turn on the server when you start the PLEX app.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ecoplan posted:

Yeah.. I just read my title.. I was meaning maximizing energy efficiency

If you are running a small htpc with onboard graphics you probably arnt using more than 60w anyway under TV watching load. I wouldn't waste too much time on it.

ecoplan
Dec 27, 2006

Very informative! Thanks Factory Factory!

Don, 60w? ah! I thought it would be much higher. Electric energy prices are really low here, so I guess you're right!

thanks everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ecoplan posted:

Very informative! Thanks Factory Factory!

Don, 60w? ah! I thought it would be much higher. Electric energy prices are really low here, so I guess you're right!

thanks everyone!

My i3 nas with 8gb ram and 4 hard drives spinning uses only 56-65w. Modern parts are really efficient.

• Locked thread