Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Problem description: So this is a little bizarre. I just built a new computer and it's been working perfectly. I kept my old wifi card TP-LINK 450Mbps Wireless N Adapter, as it was working fine and just stuck it into my new computer. Everything was fine, at first, speeds were high all around throughout my house. But a few days ago, my speed started tanking. I've got Fios, I assumed the problem was on their end. The guy I spoke with helped out a lot. We tested the ehternet line and the speed was still fast. The wifi however, was not. He then asked if I had connected any new devices as a new slow protocol may slow down everything. I mentioned my new computer but figured that couldn't be the problem since it had the same network card. Lo and behold however, when we disabled my new right, the speed picked up, across the board throughout the house.

Attempted fixes: I checked my network card drivers and everything appears to be up to date. Apart from that, I have no idea what else I could do.

Recent changes: Covered up there ^^^

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate.

System specs: TP-LINK 450Mbps Wireless N Adapter. The New rig is fast, and better than my old rig that wasn't causing problems in any way. If it matters these are pretty much all of the parts:

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. The problem is it's very difficult to find anything about a new computer actually slowing things down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
What is the make model of the router?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Just checked, and I have no idea. The Fios people installed the router themselves, so it's theirs. The only thing resembling a number is m1424wr ,which when I google, looks somewhat helpful.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Ok since you can not do much with the router, I would try a different wifi adapter. However, it would be nice to see some kind of data like several screenshots of a ping to google.com or a bandwidth test with both the suspect wifi adapter on and with the adapter off/ethernet line hooked up to the new computer.

Edit: Have you tried a hard reset on the router?

quote:

Hard Reset (aka 30/30/30 reset):
The following procedure will clear out the NVRAM and set router back to default values:
With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds
Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds
Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 13, 2014

• Locked thread