Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

Ratoslov posted:

'The Day Without Suffering' is a great name for a horrible disaster. It says so little about it, and what it says makes no sense. I really hope it lives up to my expectations.

Totally agreed, that is A grade cryptic. I am super interested to know what's going on in this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Octolady posted:

with the lack of fixed camera angles it seems like it's missing a lot of the tension of the earlier games imo

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought, too.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

bodz5150 posted:

Nobody seems to have mentioned it, but the flashlight mechanic seems to be "borrowed" by Alan Wake. It's not exactly the same, but it is very similar. At least there is no product placement in this game.

The flashlight in Alan Wake seems to have much more in common with the one from the Obscure games than the one in this game, even down to the weird light boosting stuff.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Choushiro's a decent guy. Not many people would run towards a group of creepy little girls.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Glazius posted:

Choushiro's a decent guy. Not many people would run towards a group of creepy little girls.

In this series, that's not exactly a survival trait. But yeah, Choushiro's a decent dude.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

Hel posted:

The flashlight in Alan Wake seems to have much more in common with the one from the Obscure games than the one in this game, even down to the weird light boosting stuff.

I only mentioned it because a lot of reviews of Alan Wake seemed to mention the flashlight mechanic as innovative. As you said and others, this is not the case. I was just pointing out Alan Wake wasn't as innovative as games journalologists liked to say.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
What's the deal with the half brackets around some words, like Notebook in the first chapter 3 video? I've noticed it in some other Japanese games.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's a way of indicating an item, usually an important or inventory one.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yeah, I get that part of it, but what are those things called?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Detective Thompson posted:

Yeah, I get that part of it, but what are those things called?

I can't remember exactly what they're called, but they're the Japanese equivalent of quotation marks, iirc.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Fresh of our defeat of Madoka, we find ourselves back in control of Ruka. Now even with the loss of one of her friends, that hasn't deterred our inquisitive heroine from continuing to investigate her past and the key to unlocking those forgotten memories might just be a few piano strokes away.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Ayako's room is just the worst :( The creepy doll parts and the lighting and laughter seems like it should be almost comical, but it still gives me the shivers.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I found the hidden room worse, with that sound like someone was having trouble breathing, the drapes and not knowing the purpose of it...

Perlia
May 14, 2013
For the record, the Black Notebook does not belong to Ayako. These ones are pretty integral to the plot though, in a kind of annoying way.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Take the Dumb Rodent approach and talk a little less. How much of a pain was setting up the fan patch/home brewing the wii? I've always been a huge fan of the series and for a time considered rigging up my wii to get it to work, but it seemed like way too much effort.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Take the Dumb Rodent approach and talk a little less. How much of a pain was setting up the fan patch/home brewing the wii? I've always been a huge fan of the series and for a time considered rigging up my wii to get it to work, but it seemed like way too much effort.

I dunno, I feel like Niggurath's got a pretty good grasp on the balance between informative commentary and letting the game speak for itself.

As for the wii homebrew questions, I actually was the one who set up it up! I had an extra wii that's been sitting on my shelf for about two years and thought it would go to better use seeing the rest of the fatal frame series through. I think wii homebrew discussion borders on :filez: but it honestly isn't very difficult to mod a wii these days.

Thesaya posted:

I found the hidden room worse, with that sound like someone was having trouble breathing, the drapes and not knowing the purpose of it...

Ugh the breathing sounds are the worst ever ughhh :(

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Panzer Skank posted:

Ugh the breathing sounds are the worst ever ughhh :(
I think the biggest strength of the FF series has always been the ability to find the perfect background noise to keep the player on edge even when there aren't actually any ghosts attacking.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

How does the ghost hand mechanic work? I just assumed that they just removed and item pickup but in the last video you talk about tapping to avoid them so there is some way of just no getting screwed. Do they pop up before you take the item so that you can just release and try again?

Do we have a reference yet for when Choushiro arrived compared to where we are with the others or does that come later?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hel posted:

How does the ghost hand mechanic work? I just assumed that they just removed and item pickup but in the last video you talk about tapping to avoid them so there is some way of just no getting screwed. Do they pop up before you take the item so that you can just release and try again?

Do we have a reference yet for when Choushiro arrived compared to where we are with the others or does that come later?
To be quite honest I'm not totally for certain that there's a way to avoid the hand; I've read some places that trying to lure the hand out and pulling back will dodge it, but I've never gotten that to work. I've also just tried what I do in the videos and just give it plenty of time by pulling back and forth, though there's no guarantee that will work either. Really that whole mechanic was just put in as a seemingly cheap jump scare and also to dick you out of items (though it's only ever camera upgrade crystals....which is beyond annoying in of itself, but at least you never lose a plot item).

And we don't have a specific time reference for Choushiro's movement's around the island. We at least know that he came after Ruka, so he should be there at the same time as all the girls but as far as I remember none of the characters ever end up seeing or interacting with one another.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Niggurath posted:

To be quite honest I'm not totally for certain that there's a way to avoid the hand; I've read some places that trying to lure the hand out and pulling back will dodge it, but I've never gotten that to work. I've also just tried what I do in the videos and just give it plenty of time by pulling back and forth, though there's no guarantee that will work either. Really that whole mechanic was just put in as a seemingly cheap jump scare and also to dick you out of items (though it's only ever camera upgrade crystals....which is beyond annoying in of itself, but at least you never lose a plot item).

And we don't have a specific time reference for Choushiro's movement's around the island. We at least know that he came after Ruka, so he should be there at the same time as all the girls but as far as I remember none of the characters ever end up seeing or interacting with one another.

Wow, that's a bad mechanic especially when the crystals are randomized anyway. They could have just made it so if you get the hands it puts the item on a cooldown or move it around the room, but no they have to remove it completely, it feels like an idea they just put in without thinking it through.

Too bad, I always like having a reference point when there are multiple characters even if they don't interact that much.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah this game is actually really solid otherwise. I also like that when the FF series references a really famous horror move it does it proper instead of like a reference. FF3 has the mirror sequence and this game replicates the Ju-On 'throat clicking' sound. I also really dig that some vanishing ghosts stick around for a long time just to look at you.

Perlia
May 14, 2013

Niggurath posted:

I don't think you lose the the item so much as the game randomly sets some of those shining blue spots to be "hand traps", meaning there wasn't an item there in the first place. It's less frustrating to think of it that way, at least.

... Also Niggurath, I've got to commend you on killing the ghosts this well without any of them blooming on you.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

This is probably going on hiatus for a while because I don't care.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
That's terrible. Are you OK? I hope so, Niggurath LPs are quality and I miss having them to watch when there are no new ones available.

Sosogomi
Jun 1, 2011
That's rough. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling good, but take any rest you need man. If it's not fun, don't do it.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
This is a great update even if you're feeling low, but yeah if it's not fun let it sit aside. Hope things are alright, the LPer's more important than the LP after all.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
With all these Hazuki dolls, there better be a boss fight where they all combine into a SUPER Hazuki doll and you have to fight it by climbing to the roof and taing a photo of its face.

Sucks to hear that you're not having fun with the game, but from what I can tell, this game isn't really that good anyway, so it's totally understandable. If it's not fun, just throw it to the side and pick up something more fun instead.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Oh no, maybe niggurath has luna sedata.

If a diversionary hobby becomes as much of a chore and hassle as the rest of life then I completely understand wanting to stop. It also seems like FF series kinda gave up.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I don't know, man. You survived Rule of Rose. How much worse could this possibly be? Not to question your judgement, but I really have to question your judgement here.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

I hope you get back into the swing of things eventually. since I do enjoy the videos.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Take your time, life definitely comes first, and if you aren't enjoying it then take a step back. I hope you pick it or something back up eventually, I love your LPs, especially for horror games.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Niggurath posted:

This is probably going on hiatus for a while because I don't care.

I had assumed that the game takes place roughly now, but the room chart is dated 1970, maybe I just missed an earlier date but this was a bit of a surprise.

Either way I'm sorry to see you go since I enjoy your stuff, but we all understand that sometimes you've got to take a break or just stop, and there is no reason to force yourself for something that's supposed to be fun. Take care and if you do come back to this game we'll be here.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I don't know, man. You survived Rule of Rose. How much worse could this possibly be? Not to question your judgement, but I really have to question your judgement here.

This game is incredibly boring the further you get into it, and gets backtrack crazy. The extra crap that they added on top of it like the lantern shops, the new upgrad system that is based off of finding items in random quantities, a billion dolls scattered around the world to fufill some sort of perverse collect-a-thon mentality, and the reach out and touch things were all just crap that reek of design by committee. None of the characters are very interesting or fun for that matter, and the plot never really develops well enough or at a quick enough pace like the last 3 games.

After 3 "good" games, the fact that they turned around and poo poo this out also makes it difficult to play if you're a fan of horror games just on principle. Fingers crossed that they learn their lesson and take Fatal Frame 5 back to basics instead of relying too heavily on WiiU gimmicks.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Male of the Century posted:

instead of relying too heavily on WiiU gimmicks.
And miss an opportunity for "bring the controller to your eyes for a jump scare"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol if you don't think FF0 designers don't nightly cream their pants to the thought of a WIIU camera obscura control.

• Locked thread