Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
what is a Kotaku

I mean what does that mean and why is a website named that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

The Sharmat posted:

what is a Kotaku

It's like Otaku, but the next tier of ubershitlord

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

what is a Kotaku

The site started out as a Mortal Kombat fansite way back in the mid 90s, and a "Kotaku" was the term for a big Mortal Kombat fan.

Dec 26, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

what is a Kotaku

k-otaku. it was originally for korea enthusiasts

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

what is a Kotaku

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Going out of your way to avoid giving fractions of pennies to people on the internet is one of the stupidest things I can imagine. Farewell.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

The site started out as a Mortal Kombat fansite way back in the mid 90s, and a "Kotaku" was the term for a big Mortal Kombat fan.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

They should hand out awards for excellence in video game journalism, only instead of a statue it's a solid gold Sonic body pillow.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Soral posted:

i disagree. while those posts may be shittier and dumber than the article i linked, the "this speaker thing kind of looks like a video game robot, sort of" post is far more worthless in a real sense of the word.
ok how about this

http://kotaku.com/5912115/an-exploration-game-helped-me-realize-why-nature-kind-of-sucks

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
what is the good video games journalism that you want to see but is not happening. in-depth industry reporting? serious cultural critiques? if not that what is there to write about beyond "the next assassins' creed will have 1 billion more of polygons" "here is how many points out of ten i think the dark prequel reboot is worth" and the occasional introspective "how i lost my viriginity to sonic the hedgehog" type thing

haha bummer

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
gender binary must die!?!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

swamp waste posted:

what is the good video games journalism that you want to see but is not happening.

I want numbers lower than 7 to be used in reviews

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

The Sharmat posted:

I want numbers lower than 7 to be used in reviews

You ask too much.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

swamp waste posted:

what is the good video games journalism that you want to see but is not happening. in-depth industry reporting? serious cultural critiques? if not that what is there to write about beyond "the next assassins' creed will have 1 billion more of polygons" "here is how many points out of ten i think the dark prequel reboot is worth" and the occasional introspective "how i lost my viriginity to sonic the hedgehog" type thing

haha bummer

how about one of them talks about gameplay ever

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
gameplay is not a serious issue we can apply literary analysis too

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

swamp waste posted:

haha bummer

If people want video games to be compared to movies then they'll have to write like movie news writes.

Hint: movie news is pretty boring trade-industry stuff, professional reviews, and sometimes casting speculation. Nikke Finke didn't make a habit of comparing Spy Kids to the rising inequalities of the middle class.

Basically, find actual journalists who are interested in games and not bloggers who are interested in games. Because no one gets into journalism for the money (unlike bloggers who take $750k from Microsoft lol). "We don't understand why Destiny is getting bad user reviews! It's great! Noe please scroll down past this full-page banner ad for Destiny to read why!"

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

swamp waste posted:

haha bummer

the only good vidgame journalism is scarecam lps idiot

Gooth
Jul 9, 2012

Makes the world taste good!
Eh, I would say I'd be happy if they either put in a little more effort OR just admitted they're not journalists, that they're bloggers, and that's why there's an article related to anime every other day. A litte honesty would go a long way for me.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

People complain that game journalism is nothing but press releases w/ sarcasm & pandering drivel, but honestly, i dont care. The only game news i really care about is when a game gets announced or gets a release date. I listen to the giant bombcast every week, but i dont care about their opinions, its just entertainment. I can most of the time ballpark how worthwhile a game will be just by watching someone play it & im pretty sure everyone else can too. If its hard to tell, i just read what people on forums are saying. Its been yrs since a review by ign or gamespot has influenced my decision to buy a game. So reviews dont matter to me, and i dont need to read human-interest essays about how a video game changed someone's life... So game journalism can keep doing what its doing for all i care.

One of the things that surprises me about the gamergate thing is the implication that so many self-described gamers depend on ethical game-blogging (and kotaku in particular) for their information & are being screwed by this corruption. I thought everyone was just watching streams & talking to each other to find out what games are good, not reading kotaku. Somebody should care about it probably, but its not me.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I been playing games pr much my whle life so by now I have a good feel of what games im into and what ones im not so reviews dont hold a lot of value for me except when a review makes smacktarded console warriors mad then its just god times all around

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Also buy all the games anyway because Steam

lol ten of the articles on GameSpot's FP are about Destiny. Totally legit and unbiased news you guys

Gooth
Jul 9, 2012

Makes the world taste good!

Sir John Feelgood posted:

People complain that game journalism is nothing but press releases w/ sarcasm & pandering drivel, but honestly, i dont care. The only game news i really care about is when a game gets announced or gets a release date. I listen to the giant bombcast every week, but i dont care about their opinions, its just entertainment. I can most of the time ballpark how worthwhile a game will be just by watching someone play it & im pretty sure everyone else can too. If its hard to tell, i just read what people on forums are saying. Its been yrs since a review by ign or gamespot has influenced my decision to buy a game. So reviews dont matter to me, and i dont need to read human-interest essays about how a video game changed someone's life... So game journalism can keep doing what its doing for all i care.

One of the things that surprises me about the gamergate thing is the implication that so many self-described gamers depend on ethical game-blogging (and kotaku in particular) for their information & are being screwed by this corruption. I thought everyone was just watching streams & talking to each other to find out what games are good, not reading kotaku. Somebody should care about it probably, but its not me.

For me it's much less related to "caring" and more that I find it fun to mock these garbage websites.

When it comes to gamergate, one side are these dorks are far too concerned with something that affects them so little, and the other side are the "gaming journalists" who write articles about butt-shaped watermelons, so to me it seems stepping back and letting them at each other is the smartest move.

Gooth fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 12, 2014

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
if the problem is that they're turning into bloggers who have to keep a drip feed of bad content going, or that they make money from ads for the stuff they report on and that they expect their audience to be into, or that they're corrupted from doing like 'pure' journalism because of their personal connections to the industry people who hook them up, okay, but that's also a list of the problems with regular journalism

that's where i'm at except i dont listen to the giant bombcast

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

it would be cool if i could never see so much as a headline written by patricia hernandez again

on a site where every other day brian ashcraft writes about how he lives in japan and his god-awful children that i don't give a poo poo about love this "yokai watch" bullshit, she continually manages to top the charts when it comes to being insufferable

the easy solution would be "stop reading kotaku" which I tried but dammit like an addict I just keep going back

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

the easy solution would be "stop reading kotaku" which I tried but dammit like an addict I just keep going back
actually the easy solution is don't read any gawker media sites

i said deadspin is cool earlier in the thread but that was before they dedicated 10+ articles a day to roger goodell/ray rice

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
can we please just all take a moment and think about Christmas

Dec 26, 2012

i assume they just want that particular bunch of idiots out of the business and this is the easiest way to do it. idk what the gently caress they would even do if game journalism would ever be worthy of the name because its basically always been wildly terrible

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
It's more that a bunch of shut-in nerds can finally tell people their opinions thanks to the internet and instead of writing their representatives or joining non-profits, they can make lots of money while still being shut-ins and shouting their opinions on ~^*IsSuEs*^~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRXEAGWynGA

• Locked thread