Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Problem description: Recently my mouse cursor has been moving erratically and randomly clicking. It happens infrequently and each time only lasts about a second. It does not appear to be controlled movements despite the fact I initially suspected my coworkers of pranking me. I've been using this mouse for over two years and this is the first this has happened.

Attempted fixes: CCleaner, MSE & SuperAntiSpyware scans, uninstalling mouse drivers and allowing windows to redetect it. I considered trying it on different surfaces but since it is clicking by itself, a faulty laser doesn't explain it.

Recent changes: No hardware or software changes that I know of.

--
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium

System specs: Dell Vostro 470, DELL MS111-P USB Mouse

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

nexus6 posted:

Problem description: Recently my mouse cursor has been moving erratically and randomly clicking. It happens infrequently and each time only lasts about a second. It does not appear to be controlled movements despite the fact I initially suspected my coworkers of pranking me. I've been using this mouse for over two years and this is the first this has happened.

Attempted fixes: CCleaner, MSE & SuperAntiSpyware scans, uninstalling mouse drivers and allowing windows to redetect it. I considered trying it on different surfaces but since it is clicking by itself, a faulty laser doesn't explain it.

Recent changes: No hardware or software changes that I know of.

--
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium

System specs: Dell Vostro 470, DELL MS111-P USB Mouse

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Have you tried a different USB port on your computer? Like an entire different controller if possible.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I'm not sure about the clicking, but check the optical sensor for dust and hair - that can cause the erratic pointer movement. Also, it's an LED optical mouse, not a laser mouse.

Do you still get problems if you use another mouse?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

m.hache posted:

Have you tried a different USB port on your computer? Like an entire different controller if possible.

I have only tried one other port, I'll try some other ones.

Factory Factory posted:

I'm not sure about the clicking, but check the optical sensor for dust and hair - that can cause the erratic pointer movement. Also, it's an LED optical mouse, not a laser mouse.

Do you still get problems if you use another mouse?

Red dots of light aren't lasers? I'll see if I can try another mouse.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

nexus6 posted:

I have only tried one other port, I'll try some other ones.

Red dots of light aren't lasers? I'll see if I can try another mouse.

Depends on the size of the dot. But the mouse you linked is optical, not laser. Still uses red light, just more like a flashlight beam than a highly focused laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

Depends on the size of the dot. But the mouse you linked is optical, not laser. Still uses red light, just more like a flashlight beam than a highly focused laser.

It was a poor attempt at humor :downsrim:

EDIT: Okay, I think I've solved the mystery. I noticed two mice in the Device Manager and I found a wireless receiver plugged into the back of my PC

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 26, 2014

• Locked thread