Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
A lot of people think you should always use a Linear Phase EQ because they are touted as being accurate, and don't have any artifacts.

But, it turns out that the artifacts you get from zero latency EQ's are actually a desired effect in most cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efKabAQQsPQ

Just something every level mixing man should be aware of!

Post other level mixing man tips that are important to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It's important to focus on the rhythm section (drums and bass) and vocals first when mixing. Once those are good, everything else will be easy to fit into place.

Synth pads are a good subtle way to fill in empty sonic space in your mix. Mix them low low low and with a heavy low pass filter.

I like to compress the poo poo out of any guitar tracks to bring out sustain, usually with a reverb higher up in the chain.

Mixing is a fun sonic puzzle. Also I'm a homo.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i would mix but i know how to play an instrument instead

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW
dont know what this nerd talk means but i heard drum and bass ya thats cool

semicolonoscopy_
Nov 1, 2010
Add an extra edge to your vocals by applying ring modulation in parallel on a send.

Boost your bass guitar around 900hz to help it cut through the mix without masking your guitars.

Eat your vegetables.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Need to add some 'air' to your vocals? Reamp them through a ceiling fan. Works every time.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

semicolonoscopy_ posted:

Add an extra edge to your vocals by applying ring modulation in parallel on a send.

Boost your bass guitar around 900hz to help it cut through the mix without masking your guitars.

Eat your vegetables.

no no no man, you cut everything else at 900hz instead jeezzzz

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Somehow ended up on Gearslutz while clicking the 'SA' bookmark. Strange.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Experiencing feedback in a live situation? Ignore it. You know how to mix better than any of the band members.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I thought this thread was gonn be about math or physics or something actually interesting

Thanks for nothing op

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
i like how audio mixing is like almost engineering, throwing around terms like 'low pass filter' and 'modulation' but without the rigorous background in mathematics

semicolonoscopy_
Nov 1, 2010

sether01 posted:

no no no man, you cut everything else at 900hz instead jeezzzz

I thought that was implied. I didn't realize I was dealing with amateurs. And ain't nothing be wrong with a little extra noise to spice up your tasty grooves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I played alotta EQ as a kid. Every now and than I wanna go back and punch Ambassador Dvinn in the dick

• Locked thread