Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

probably the most inherently valuable resource on the planet

:slams clip in:

yeah sure is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

yeah i don't really know if i was being facetious or serious or not. it's a mind boggling amount of water that has been lost, and there is also a mind boggling amount of fresh water in the great lakes that people in the area don't really think about. i grew up right on the shore of lake ontario and the attitude we had was "ugh, lake effect snow sucks and it's probably all polluted, don't go in there"

yet it's 1600 cubic kilometers of fresh water that is practically clean enough to drink as long as you don't care about the occasional case of giardia. half the world would kill for that.

probably the most inherently valuable resource on the planet

where on the shore

i did too

:ohdear:

altho gently caress all the idiots who want to pipe our water to loving deserts

hey, loving imbeciles, if you want water, maybe dont loving settle in deserts

maybe ease up with desertification

gently caress you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody posted:

where on the shore

i did too

:ohdear:

kingston :v:

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

we used to say this about erie but thankfully ontario was just a few km north so that was the swimmin' hole half the time when erie was gross as hell.

lake ontario is downstream of lake erie.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

maybe we can bring comets in

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

maybe we can bring comets in

if i were allowed to specify what my tax dollars were spent on i would allocate at least 40% to bombarding the earth with comets and i would encourage others to do the same

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

kingston :v:

Oh. I don't know where that is.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah but Ontario is way less gross :v:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

only the shoreline of former industrial centers is gross and even that is fine because it's all settled to the bottom. Lake Erie has some v nice beaches

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

The Management posted:

the earth is a closed water loop, no water has been lost.

didn't most of it get turned into alfalfa and fed to chinese cows? or is that just arizona's water?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Every year, when Joel Greenblatt kicks off his value and special-situation investing class at Columbia Business School, he makes his students a guarantee. "If they are good at valuing businesses, the market will agree with them, typically within two or three years," says Greenblatt, who has been an adjunct professor since 1996.

While he can't make any such guarantees to investors, his track record lends validity to this thesis. Using an über-concentrated deep-value approach, the hedge fund he founded in 1985 produced 34% average annual gains, after fees and expenses, for the first decade. At the end of 1994, Greenblatt and his longtime partner, Rob Goldstein, concluded that their growing asset base would impede future returns because their approach was so narrow. They returned shareholders' money and stopped taking outside investments—though they kept their staff and continued to manage their own capital.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I prefer a lyft-concentrated market strat

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
i'm the longtime partner