Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Well...

Its that time of the year, Tax return has arrived and its... WRC TIME.

Yes, your favorite beligerant mispelling and Gramatically challenged spannerhead is doing the WRC again!

To bring everyone up to speed... aw forget it, its boring! Lets Jump to the last event

As some may know, I appropriated the 2004 STi named "Boof" from CatTerrorist. Due to a brain embolisim I decided to upgrade the car to 2004 STI Group N trim and run in Rally Australia.

Fast forward 9 months later and the car has now been upgraded to 2005 STI and I need to test the car. Even more critical the VR4 Destroyed its gearbox and I dont have another car to compete in the next round of the State Khanacross championship! Breaking the car whilst leading sucks less than breaking the car when coming second.... Still SUX! but less...

So why do you upgrade a perfectly good car to a later Homoligation? Mainly Larger and stronger front hubs, Wider rear track and a 14 Litre waterspray tank. The waterspray tank makes a big difference on tighter stages and top end power as im drawing air through a 33 Mm restrictor. The cars restrictor is a Possum Bourne Motorsport component and helps the car develop its over 450Nm of tourque! Peak power is a shade under 5600 RPM so its a tourquemonster on 98 RON pump fuel. If I was running the "MooseFuel" the WRC3 cars run I could expect 180+ kw due to being able to run up to 15 Degrees more advance at WOT.

at $9 a litre however...... Ill be happy with my $1.70 a litre 98 !

Issues with the car were minimal, the biggest was me forgetting to tighten the Front Hub bolts in the carrier meaning the front hub was floating.... It looked good however!!!

And the Dccd controller (DccDPro) likes to lock up late and then when it locks up it really locks the centre diff. No front drive then Massive understeer. Thinkering with the traction curve is this weekends project.... Thinkering is now a word, YouGoogle it!

Anyway, Throwing a large amount of Spec C parts strangely brings a 147KW Group N car into a whole new Level... To the point I won the event!

For you Facebook types, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kaptainballistik/20858953722?fref=ts has the daily update of Boderline spamming of what I do to the car!

And did someone say they wanted to sponsor a WRC car? for $25 you can get your name on the side!!!

More updates tomorrow, the Fun Begins with what you find when changing brakepads....

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I love your threads. There's also a new DCCD controller, MapDCCD, which seems a little more motorsports oriented than Pro.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

How does one sponsor you?

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

c355n4 posted:

How does one sponsor you?

Like the Facebook page and post you want to sponsor,

I'll message you my Paypal!

Or just reply here you want to sponsor... :)

Today's update, due to Noahriffic levels of rain , my usual Thirsday night of riding motorbikes with a pack of yahoo's called SydneysRiders is called off... Current option is Indoor gocarts or Work on car...

I wonder if the Go Cart track will let me wear my HANS!!!

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Excellent. I look forward to more.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

So....

After the last event the car went in for its usual once over and some new Brakepads

A nice set of DS3000 rears and Zero Fronts (higher friction DS3000's) so the rear went in fine.

Then I noticed a large oil Puddle on the sumpguard while fitting the front pads..... Apparently 2006 driveshafts dont clip into the diff centre on an early 2005 style gearbox! Driveshaft out.

Hmm...

Seal ripped... fortunately I actually had a spare! i also didnt sell off my 2004 Spec C driveshafts so they went back in. They are also much larger and stronger! Back together and admire the MCA's of awesome... Thats The set of coilovers that may your Teins look like ... K-lines!

So lets extend the handbrake lever!!!!!!

The handbrake still has the release button but its now actuated by a long bolt! take that you Dorri Dorri driftu lockout button types!

Well, I now have a navigator as well. Never met him but FIA navigators are hard to come by! Whats life without risks! My normal navigator broke 2 collarbones and cracked a vertibrae after a crash 3 weeks ago. Apparenly HANS devices transfer load in accidents....

next episode....

Exhausting times!

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 25, 2014

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Not that an exciting post this week, Sorting tools and spares isnt that exciting.

So, the WRC entry list is out.....

http://d2t24n70pdbj8s.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Rally-Australia-WRC-Entry-List.pdf

30th car from 30 starters and the guys ahead of me know how to peddle. hey, Im in it for the second year! its the only time I expect my butt to be kicked. Hopefully I can improve on my 17th Fastest on the ValenceII stage.

It was a boring sunday of installing air filters, fixing Utes, fixing trailers and removing stickers. After a few quick checks the car hit the ground and made a few test laps of the block.

All ready for the stickers and I managed to pick up Hi Tec oils as a Sponsor! Its strictly fluids but thats my first sponsor since I came back to rallying.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
If you aint followng car 79 at the WRC this weekend, you suck.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

If you aint followng car 79 at the WRC this weekend, you suck.

I've been following along on facebook.

What's the best thing for me to F5?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Best of luck, Kaptain

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown
Good luck gents,
Was hoping to actually do some spectating this year and not just officialing, but family stuff came up and I'm out of town this weekend
Though I will be at the opening tomorrow afternoon, I might pop over and say hi if I see y'all
I see there's VR4 racing this weekend, might be inspiration to drag yours along next year ;)

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

So how'd it go, facebook says it wasnt good for the motor

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Slow is Fast posted:

So how'd it go, facebook says it wasnt good for the motor

Finished. But motor may have cracked a piston

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

Finished. But motor may have cracked a piston

OEM motor?

What are the class rules like?

Here in super production you get to run either OE pistons OR buy aftermarket forged pistons that are engraved with the sanctioning body on them and cost twice as much + add weight to your car.

Or you can run open and not deal with retarded stuff like that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Group N, EJ207 is the legal motor. Absolutly can not run anything non Subaru but at least that's the toughest engine combo allowed for and I think also allows for forged pistons.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I thought the EJ207 already had forged pistons, unless I'm out to lunch.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was under this impression as well. Maybe different revisions weren't forged? I am not sure on my non-us tech

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I believe it does but My memory on the engines isnt current.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think some but not all of them do, but they are not that great for a racing application/higher power compared to something aftermarket. JE and Cosworth both make fantastic Subaru pistons.

Come to think of it a box of pistons is something that probably wouldn't be overly expensive to ship from the US to australia. If you're going aftermarket let me know what they cost over there.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 18, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

There's going to be some motor rebuild commentary soon. And gearbox rebuild and driveshaft and sump guard and.....

Basically rebuild every car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Kaptain Ballistik just bought a loving EVO 8. So now we have under several garages a RX2 Series 1 coupe, a RX2 sedan, a VR4, four Subarus, two Commodores, one RX7, A Ducati and now a EVO 8.

Did that sound just as bad to anyone else as it did to me?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

Kaptain Ballistik just bought a loving EVO 8. So now we have under several garages a RX2 Series 1 coupe, a RX2 sedan, a VR4, four Subarus, two Commodores, one RX7, A Ducati and now a EVO 8.

Sounds like a pretty good start to me.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

You're living the dream. All you need is a Falcon Turbo to go in there to finish off the line up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

You're living the dream. All you need is a Falcon Turbo to go in there to finish off the line up.

Wouldnt mind one TBH. Good cars. A Typhoon would be cool as hell.

Amazingly on that list of cars only three are not working - The STI is getting a new engine, one WRX is partially disassembled and gathering dust and the RX2 coupe is a bodyshell and it's parts in boxes. The rest are all road worthy.

The EVO apparently has the problems of a 320ishKW ATW modded beast so it was obtained stupidly cheap. Basically needs a rear diff and to find out why it wont get boost. Also apparently is on E85 and is juuuuust waiting for me to give it a go around a racetrack.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Cat Terrist posted:

The EVO apparently has the problems of a 320ishKW ATW modded beast so it was obtained stupidly cheap.
Buddha on a bicycle. What all has been done to get to that level?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Cat Terrist posted:

Wouldnt mind one TBH. Good cars. A Typhoon would be cool as hell.

Amazingly on that list of cars only three are not working - The STI is getting a new engine, one WRX is partially disassembled and gathering dust and the RX2 coupe is a bodyshell and it's parts in boxes. The rest are all road worthy.
Ha Ha. I was going to write "But yeah, how many are running?"
Selling the RX2 coupe soon?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Left Ventricle posted:

Buddha on a bicycle. What all has been done to get to that level?

Turbo, cams, E85 and supporting mods, exhaust etc. I'm fairly keen to have a drive and see what it's like.

quote:

Selling the RX2 coupe soon?

Do you want to buy it? Some assembly required.

(Serious question, it actually is for sale)

quote:

Ha Ha. I was going to write "But yeah, how many are running?"

TBH I was rather taken aback when I counted them off and then did a list of "What do these cars need to drive?" list. The RX7 and the working RX2 are literally only started every couple of months due to the fact there's so many other working cars.

What makes it better is that ONLY the RX7, one WRX and the RX2 coupe are unregistered and there is nothing stopping the RX7 from being registered, it's just literally too many other options. Father Vogon has been trying to get me to take it out to a few track days - probably wouldnt be too bad either now, it's got a fairly well worked 13B just waiting to rip.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So now I know more about the EVO - 273 cams, adjustible cam gears, 1000cc injectors, E85 supporting mods, TOMMEI exhaust etc. Ran 11.7 on street tyres, full interior, upgraded brakes. Stupid cheap.

The bad - well of course there is with stupid cheap price. Compression down in cyl 2 and 4. We got some work to do but eh..... even with a new engine we can still flip it for a tidy profit. There WILL be a trck day before it's sold off tho.... I REALLY want to give this thing a go

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

EVO 8 MR, carbon fibre rear wing, 6 speed, titanium twin scroll spinny boosty thing, handles a load better than I remembered a EVO doing.

When's the next track day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

It's the good old lots of updates but even more work to do story...

So I have been trying to find where the Boost Fairy had gone in the EVO8... Apparently when the primary stage of the Cat fails and breaks up it blocks the second stage of the Cat...

So yes.... The EVO was constipated.

After spraying copious amounts of PB blaster and Loctite Freeze and release at the bolts on the Cat it came off without breaking any bolts... Kicking and screaming... But it came off. A piece of Gal water pipe and a Hammer made short work of the ceramic Honeycomb.

Unfortunately it now appears the Clutch (organic plate) can't handle 23 PSI of 4G63 and gives off a right stink. Lighting all 4 in second on tar is also a new experience! Boost is being reset to 19 PSI till I can install a clutch that's more Brass and pucky....... But gee it's hilarious!

• Locked thread