Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I had a Yamaha V-star 650 custom. I loved the riding position, but it sucked at accelerating and doing highway speeds (seemed like it wanted to die at 60, let alone 70 I would need on the highway.

I sold it about 2 years ago after pulling an involuntary Layer Dan at 10 MPH in a sandy patch. No damage to me, had to replace a left clutch handle that it landed on.

My city puts down sand when it snows instead of salt and the poo poo just sits there for 6+ months at every sharp turn.

Anyway, I've been wanting to get back in the game. I got my eye on a V-Strom 650 this time. Seems like it will ride at 115 which is more than enough speed. I would think that the ABS would also help with sandy corners or am I joking myself?

I liked the cruiser but the performance was just poo poo, and I don't want to add another 100+ lbs (and thousands of dollars) to the bike to make it not suck.

Thoughts? Get out's? Shut-up shithead's?

I mostly commute in my 2011 Impreza WRX. Its in the shop for about 3 weeks while they repair it from when I backed into and sideswiped a concrete pillar that was hiding in my blind spot. (please don't ask.. its painful enough already)

My commute is about 3 miles and takes about 5-10 minutes depending on traffic. I was looking at a SVF650 but I don't really like the aggressive riding style.

I bow to your knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Wendigee posted:

I had a Yamaha V-star 650 custom. I loved the riding position, but it sucked at accelerating and doing highway speeds (seemed like it wanted to die at 60, let alone 70 I would need on the highway.

I sold it about 2 years ago after pulling an involuntary Layer Dan at 10 MPH in a sandy patch. No damage to me, had to replace a left clutch handle that it landed on.

My city puts down sand when it snows instead of salt and the poo poo just sits there for 6+ months at every sharp turn.

Anyway, I've been wanting to get back in the game. I got my eye on a V-Strom 650 this time. Seems like it will ride at 115 which is more than enough speed. I would think that the ABS would also help with sandy corners or am I joking myself?

I liked the cruiser but the performance was just poo poo, and I don't want to add another 100+ lbs (and thousands of dollars) to the bike to make it not suck.

Thoughts? Get out's? Shut-up shithead's?

I mostly commute in my 2011 Impreza WRX. Its in the shop for about 3 weeks while they repair it from when I backed into and sideswiped a concrete pillar that was hiding in my blind spot. (please don't ask.. its painful enough already)

My commute is about 3 miles and takes about 5-10 minutes depending on traffic. I was looking at a SVF650 but I don't really like the aggressive riding style.

I bow to your knowledge.

Cruisers are slow because H-D has convinced millions that the 60s was the peak of motorcycle technological development. If you want a better, more powerful cruiser, look at the new Indian Scout; 50% more power than your average Harley w/ a 1200 CC engine, lighter than a Sportster 1200, and about the same price.

Also lol at calling an SV650's riding position 'aggressive'.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

Cruisers are slow because H-D has convinced millions that the 60s was the peak of motorcycle technological development. If you want a better, more powerful cruiser, look at the new Indian Scout; 50% more power than your average Harley w/ a 1200 CC engine, lighter than a Sportster 1200, and about the same price.

Also lol at calling an SV650's riding position 'aggressive'.

not the SV650.. the SFV650. You can't buy the SV650 anymore.

I just saw the SFV650 and a guy had his legs behind his back.. to me that's a sport bike position?'
This guy: http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/SFV650/2014/SFV650.aspx

The indian scout looks amazing but there is no dealer or repairman in Wichita, KS that will deal with it as far as I know.

That was my number one pick for real.

I'd have to drive 145 miles to the nearest dealer in Oklahoma to even look at it. It does look amazing but who would I go to for maintenance and repairs?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Wendigee posted:

not the SV650.. the SFV650. You can't buy the SV650 anymore.

I just saw the SFV650 and a guy had his legs behind his back.. to me that's a sport bike position?'

No, that was an SVF650 with aftermarket rearsets.

Stock, the SV(F)650 is exactly as aggressive as... a sportster.

quote:

It does look amazing but who would I go to for maintenance and repairs?

I've always found 'wherever I live' and 'my own two hands' to be an adequate answer to that question. :v:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

err whats a sportster? I thought the SFV650 was supposed to be a naked standard?

Neither of those looks particularly sporty as I was expecting from the review page I looked at. Their legs were way behind them and they were hugging the gas tank to avoid wind. Those looks pretty standard. So... SFV650 VS V-Strom for commuting with a focus on accelerating. Too bad the SVF650 doesn't have an ABS option. Would ABS help in sandy corners?

Hmm. I still want an Indian, but.... I guess we had a dealer 4 years ago. They quit when everything was bought out by Polaris with a suggestion that they might reopen it later.

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

HotCanadianChick posted:

Stock, the SV(F)650 is exactly as aggressive as... a sportster.

It's a little disingenuous to call an XR1200 a sportster.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

J Corp posted:

you lost me...

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Wendigee posted:

err whats a sportster?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home.html

J Corp posted:

Not really, when the full name of the model is "Sportster XR1200X". Next you'll tell me a forty-eight isn't a Sportster either. :spergin:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

nah I know what an h-d sportster was... thought about the 1200 but i'd rather buy a cheaper bike with the same pickup....

I wish there was an indian dealer here.... he shutdown a couple years ago because Indian said it would be a few years before any new models and the dealer was like well okay, bye.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 26, 2014

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

HotCanadianChick posted:

Not really, when the full name of the model is "Sportster XR1200X". Next you'll tell me a forty-eight isn't a Sportster either. :spergin:

I'm quite aware that the XR1200 is a version of Sportster, but the riding position on the XR1200 vs literally any other version of sportster is quite different. The XR1200 is as close to a sport bike as Harley is ever going to get (Besides possibly the half-assed 'cafe racer' they built for a minute in the mid-late 70's).

Take a poll on what people think of when you say 'sportster', and exactly nobody will think XR1200 off the bat.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
If you want a fast 'cruiser' you'll have to look at muscle bikes like the V-Max, Triumph Rocket or Ducati Diavel, unfortunately these tend to be expensive halo bikes.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Get a lightly used SV650N if you want to have a nice comfortable bike with more than enough acceleration. It'll top out around 130 or so MPH, but the zero to sixty speed will be more than enough for you at this point.

ABS will not help you in sandy turns, you need to be watching for and anticipating that kind of thing. You need to be out of the brakes and out of the accelerator in that kind of situation.

E: I should mention that they're cheap also.

Bring Back Noid fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

High Protein posted:

If you want a fast 'cruiser' you'll have to look at muscle bikes like the V-Max, Triumph Rocket or Ducati Diavel, unfortunately these tend to be expensive halo bikes.

If you go the way of a V-Max (gen 1 or 2) then do yourself a favor and call this guy before going around on Craigslist.
http://www.morleysmuscle.com

He can get you something clean for cheap... Or something turbo charged, EFI and chain converted that's been bored out, has an aftermarket overdrive, and runs a 300 rear tire for a king's ransom. He is in your neck of the woods, and very well respected in a community of good old boy types that mostly hate each other.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 3, 2014

• Locked thread