Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The latest iteration of TUF. New episodes released at Sunday 12pm est. Available only on Fight Pass.

Your coaches for this season are:
Cain "Brown Pride, Mexican Patriot, I swear I'm 100% Mexican to the core don't post those old pictures of me and Ryan Bader" Velasquez

And a PSP approved Brazilian who has brought some BJJ and Excitement back to HW, Fabricio Werdum

This is a season that will lead to a TITLE FIGHT. But, don't fool yourself this is B level TUF which means it will be poo poo. The teams will be broken up by nationality (Mexico vs Latin American) and headed by Cain and Werdum respectively. There are 16 fighters representing the Bantamweight and Featherweight divisions. Cain is a doughy and extremely boring (outside the cage) wrecking machine who has employed excellent pressure, wrestling, and striking to become UFC champion. He is being pushed as a Mexican superpatriot despite being born and raised in California and speaking pretty garbage Spanish (he’s improved recently, I must assume as to not to look dumb on this show). Fabricio Werdum is a veteran who is known for being one of the best BJJ practitioners at HW. He has had somewhat of a resurgence and his striking and footwork have looked great as of late. Werdum is half Spanish and speaks Spanish fluently. He does a lot of Spanish announcing for the UFC. If you ever get tired of Rogan’s obsession with spilled ice, cups, or leg length you can switch over to listen to Fabricio. This show is part of Dana’s longstanding plans to crack the lucrative Mexican market (which is preoccupied with boxing) and by extension the non-Brazilian Latin American market. Who will be the Mexican Godofredo Pepey, who will be the Argentinean Face Shoe? Only time will tell.

Team Velasquez (Mexico)
• Bantamweights: Enrique Briones, José Alberto Quiñones, Alex Pérez and Masiosare Fullen.
• Featherweights: Gabriel Benítez, Yair Rodríguez, Rodolfo Rubio and Marco Beltrán.

Team Werdum (Latin America)
• Bantamweights: Marlon Vera, Bentley Syler, Guido Cannetti, Fredy Serrano.
• Featherweights: Alexander Torres, Diego Rivas, Leo Morales, Humberto Brown.

Why you should watch
-To justify your fightpass subscription

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

First Episode Recap
-Mexicans are loving being Mexican together
-South Americans slightly annoyed by this
-Argentina insulted for no good reason as is par for the course
-A Bolivian Mike Dolce got beat by a Mexican who "wears his moustache to represent his country"

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Well this thread is really going down a storm.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
You should have done the OP in spanish, señor.

Other than that I thought the first episode was good. Werdum might be one of the most likable guys in MMA unless he has some checkered past I'm not aware of

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
i like this thread. it is a good thread.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I was pulling for Dr. Bentley but he really could not close the distance at all.

Anyway, good fight, Werdum is cool, VIVA MEHICO @$%$#&^!

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

attackmole posted:

i like this thread. it is a good thread.

Agreed, my only gripe is the lack of the Werdum/Fedor gif somewhere

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Mexico seems to have quite the boxing history. I noticed when Cain was assessing them he was saying "he's good at boxing, this guy has good hands, this one can strike well" etc.
Does that mean they can't wrestle for poo poo then? A proud tradition of flying masked dwarfs not withstanding, what is the grappling level like there?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

You should have done the OP in spanish, señor.

Other than that I thought the first episode was good. Werdum might be one of the most likable guys in MMA unless he has some checkered past I'm not aware of

Only thing I could think of was that crazy Chute Boxe video where he just hammers a dude in the side of his head and then continues pounding him even though he's clearly having trouble just staying upright. That's more of a "Chute Boxe is insane" thing than a "Werdum is a dick" thing, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2SX6yeDvKU&t=182s

outy posted:

Mexico seems to have quite the boxing history. I noticed when Cain was assessing them he was saying "he's good at boxing, this guy has good hands, this one can strike well" etc.
Does that mean they can't wrestle for poo poo then? A proud tradition of flying masked dwarfs not withstanding, what is the grappling level like there?

I did a quick search and Mexico has one silver medal in Greco from 1984, and that's it for the Olympics. Evidently the medalist, Daniel Aceves Villagran, was the son of a famous luchador (Bobby Bonales). They have occasional medals in the Pan-American Games and the Caribbean and Central American games, but those events are really heavily dominated by the USA, Cuba, and Venezuela. So they would appear to have some grappling going on but nothing like the USA or Eastern Europe, whereas boxing is their #2 sport behind soccer. You would expect to see way more guys with good hands than guys with good wrestling.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

EvanSchenck posted:

Only thing I could think of was that crazy Chute Boxe video where he just hammers a dude in the side of his head and then continues pounding him even though he's clearly having trouble just staying upright. That's more of a "Chute Boxe is insane" thing than a "Werdum is a dick" thing, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2SX6yeDvKU&t=182s

My favorite thing about this video has always been that you can hear Shogun on the side, but even they're not crazy enough to send him in there.

Also this is their "black belt test", it's not like this was an everyday thing.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Pretty fun fight. Skipped all the kitchen cleaning and flag talk though.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Crappers posted:

Pretty fun fight. Skipped all the kitchen cleaning and flag talk though.

Posts like these are exactly what I'm looking for with this thread, and hope to see more down the road.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

outy posted:

If you look hard enough you can find professional/luchador/catch wrestling gyms but it isn't anything close to the wrestling in the USA, Russia or Scandinavia.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's pretty funny watching the "latin americans" get all worked up about stuff like water-throwing and kitchen maintenance. They're Bisping-esque. Meanwhile the Mexicans all seem like dudes who would be great to party with.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It's pretty funny watching the "latin americans" get all worked up about stuff like water-throwing and kitchen maintenance. They're Bisping-esque. Meanwhile the Mexicans all seem like dudes who would be great to party with.

I, too, get deeply offended when someone cleans up after me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I, too, get deeply offended when someone cleans up after me.

It's amazing my wife manages to go a day without beating me viciously for this very reason.

I wonder how scared shitless that judge was when the enormous brazilian suddenly started demanding scorecards from her. Werdum seems like good people (chute boxe history aside), but if he just started running up to me with a sour look on my face I'd be heading for the state line pretty quick, and I'm bigger than he is!

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Lol at the group prayer, that's even better than Hughes

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

That decision wasn't controversial in the least to me and I wanted the Colombian to win. UFC was hyping how controversial poo poo was gonna be in clips and it really wasn't. Anyways

For all the people who can't watch TUF by are captivated by this thread episode 3 recap
-Blonde middleaged Mexican telenovela star (I think) bursts into house wearing a 20 yr olds clothes. He proceeds to bro out heavy, yell a lot, and demand to be taught to wrestle. After awhile he reveals the he has tickets to a live UFC event
-The whole house gets to watch Dillshaw Barao live where they probably see Dillashaw's performance and all realize they won't even crack the top 10 in their weightclass
-Olympic wrestling Colombian gasses a lot and loses to a Mexican in a 3rd round. He didn't wrestle enough.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He accomplished nothing in the third round so I don't see what the fuss is about.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Haven't been following this season but it looks like Werdum's team is getting thumped. Does he come off as a bad coach or did he just get handed a bunch of scrubby fighters?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

Haven't been following this season but it looks like Werdum's team is getting thumped. Does he come off as a bad coach or did he just get handed a bunch of scrubby fighters?

Well there's a reason it's Mexico vs Latin America. The level of competition outside Brazil in Latin America is incredibly low. The first fighter who lost was a Bolivian doctor. The only promising guy on Werdum's team seems to be the Argentine, but if iirc there's been an argentine or two in the UFC and they feature in boxing and Brazilian promotions a bit, so I think the level there is higher.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Most of Cains guys have seemed like better athletes.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Episode 5 has a pair of highlights. Cain showing "little DC" around is phenomenal, and the finish to the fight is hilarious.

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

http://www.gfycat.com/PersonalBleakDrafthorse

:stare:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Lmao at Werdum being reduced to threatening violence at his fighters if they keep fighting like idiots.

Edit: Just got to Marlon talking about his masochism.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm only two episodes in and am laughing at how much kitchen drama there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

origami posted:

I'm only two episodes in and am laughing at how much kitchen drama there is.
Then my friend you are in for a treat, because that seems to be 90% of the series.

That and Team Mexico finishing everyone.

• Locked thread