Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ive asked a question before and actually got an answer, it was for some extremely esoteric bullshit that almost nobody anywhere has ever cared about (mlmp)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
just now reading the replies to Atwood's original post and actually there's some really good discussion about what forums are

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

pity he never read them

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

pity he never read them

if only there was a better way! *forums go black and white, fatwood clicks randomly for a few seconds then his computer falls off his desk*

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

eschaton posted:

wait, yospos folks actually ask questions on stack overflow?
i like answering months-old ones that've been completely ignored :shobon:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XaIuw6K6Q&t=10s

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ahaha, I finally ready this. what a goddamn moron.

jef fatwood posted:

But in practice adding nolock to queries that you absolutely know are simple, straightforward read-only affairs never seems to lead to problems.

I've never seen any concurrency problems therefore they probably don't exist

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

if only there was a better way! *forums go black and white, fatwood clicks randomly for a few seconds then his computer falls off his desk*

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I wonder if Atwood tried to approach Lowtax and Moot to try to get SA and 4chan switched to Discourse

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

I wonder if Atwood tried to approach Lowtax and Moot to try to get SA and 4chan switched to Discourse

i'm sure lowtax will be here with an affirmative soon

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
also lol at the slapfight between fatwood and john "apple yankeeball" gruber

http://blog.codinghorror.com/standard-markdown-is-now-common-markdown/

quote:

It was a bit of a surprise to get an email last night, addressed to both me and John MacFarlane, from John Gruber indicating that the name Standard Markdown was "infuriating".

lol i'm so oblivious to what words mean that i think it's okay to fork someone's project and call mine the "standard" version

quote:

We haven't heard back after replying last night, and I'm not sure we ever will, so in the interest of moving ahead and avoiding conflict, we're immediately renaming the project to Common Markdown.

yeah it's cool we'll just change the name to something that means the same thing and if you don't respond in less than 24 hours that means you're okay with it. also send me an email if you don't want to give me your house, otherwise i will assume it's mine.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i feel really really sorry for anyone who takes fatwood seriously, their lives clearly took a harsh turn somewhere along the way

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Six Course by Heft Fatwood of Snack Overflow

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

quote:

I don't want to eat your food -- I just want to look at it.

yeah I don't believe that for a second

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sweevo posted:

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sweevo posted:

mods pls

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

standard common discourse official

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sweevo posted:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Bloody posted:

duckduckgo goes a step further and gives you the top answer on they own page, you dont even have to click through

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sweevo posted:

sports
Sep 1, 2012
its funny how he espouses "continuous scrolling" as if he can't bear to digest the last post of a page when he spends ~3 seconds looking for the next page button.

its almost like he has a fear of reading. like he can't bear/be bothered to read.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

fyi discourse is really bad

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

boingboing uses it for their comments, and it's really bad

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the url for it is bbs.boingboing.net, because it's so cool to coopt the vernacular of ye olde computer days without learning anything from them

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Werthog 95 posted:

boingboing really bad

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i mean look at this poo poo http://bbs.boingboing.net/t/apples-wearables-and-iphone-6-event-liveblog/40762

sports
Sep 1, 2012
boingboing loving sucks

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
ugggghhhhhh everything about this is horrible, like even just the visual layout is a total clusterfuck of irrelevant data and piles of literal piss and poo poo cluttered everywhere

i like how other pages are lazyloaded because BUTTON CLICKING IS HARD but then within each page they combine threaded replies (:barf:) with forcing people to click a button to read them lol

e: "1 new or updated topic. Click to show." BUT FATWOOD DOESN'T LIKE CLICKING THINGS

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 11, 2014

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the dated skeumorphism of a "page" is an antiquated notion no longer relevant in today's web-scale datasphere. Free of this confining metaphor, the user is free to browse and search unhindered across a multidimensional scrollscape.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

jony ive aces posted:

ugggghhhhhh everything about this is horrible, like even just the visual layout is a total clusterfuck of irrelevant data and piles of literal piss and poo poo cluttered everywhere

i like how other pages are lazyloaded because BUTTON CLICKING IS HARD but then within each page they combine threaded replies (:barf:) with forcing people to click a button to read them lol

e: "1 new or updated topic. Click to show." BUT FATWOOD DOESN'T LIKE CLICKING THINGS

i really hate threaded anything

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

my favorite part about discourse is that you'll see the posts twice, once with the post they're replying to and once in their chronological position

they couldn't decided whether to do reddit threaded conversations or not so they did it both ways simultaneously

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I kinda like how 4chan/2ch does threaded replies

but I guess the system doesn't work that well with big threads

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rotor posted:

multidimensional scrollscape

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

rotor posted:

multidimensional scrollscape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

lol

• Locked thread