Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I have some definite lulls in my shift. I always take my tablet to work since my job has free WiFi. I listen to a lot of podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

Does anyone else have a lot of downtime on nights?

Yup, although I can only surf the net and read books (no kindles or other devices incl phones)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Used to, then our production timelines got sped up and our day shift got replaced with a literal dozen idiots right out of school who have paper qualifications but aren't competent to do anything more than rack gear and run cable.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I love the night shift. I work best when I'm by myself and don't have management and other people looking over my shoulder and telling me what to do. Getting things done the way I like it feels pretty good. I also like that there's a lot of downtime where you just wait for the next thing to do. I get to bring my laptop and browse the internet, read, and play games a lot. If you can physically adjust to such a schedule without any problems, the only downside is that it's hard to maintain much of a social life, which I personally don't have a problem with. I might do this for life, it's perfect for me.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I would invest in a slow cooker. This way you can set up a meal in it before you leave for work and it will be ready when you get home. This applies to all jobs but might be good for grave shift as you'll make less terrible meal choices. It will also save you a fuckload of money. Try to get one that has a brown/sear function so you only have to use the one pot.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
4x10's here, 8pm to 6am. But as soon as the pager rotates (30 mins before end of shift) we traditionally let each other go home. So, up right around the sunrise, and I get to experience it fully because I always sit up front on my bus, which rides eastbound down colfax in denver. It honestly puts me in a great mood every morning.

Also, my bus ride is about 45 to 50 minutes, which I have found can make for a serviceable powernap if work was particularly grinding.

E: I got my last job because I was a well-qualified applicant willing to sign up for 3rd. A year in, I got a promotion back to days for two years. Now i'm back, and expect the cycle to continue. It's a great foot in the door, especially in IT, because you have plenty of time for side projects that you can surprise your boss with.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I work 4 10s as well, and I flat out refuse to change shifts or pick up shifts if someone calls in. Sounds dickish, but I've been cajoled and even bullied into more than my fair share of 60 amd 70 hour workweeks and I flat out won't do it anymore.

All of our pay is poo poo, but the only reason we do overnights is because it's a bit more laid back.

At the end of the day, you're there to do your job, not someone elses.

Get some blackout curtains, turn your phone onto silent and enjoy your drat weekends, broheem.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
I've been working graves 2 years now with a majority of my time on graves for the past 7 years. It's different for everyone and you just need to find a sleep schedule that works for you. Black out curtains help at first but silence is probably your best friend as far as day sleeping goes. You're going to become vitamin d deficient so buy a bottle of that and b 12. Melatonin will be a huge help at first but use that only until you get used to a schedule. You might want to keep your sleep schedule over the weekend but I've trained myself to stay up at least 24 hours twice a week, Thursday/Friday and Sunday/monday but it's at least a really brutal year it took me to get used to and wouldn't recommend it because it almost drove me crazy. It's going to take at least two months before you acclimate where you aren't tired over night even with full day of sleep.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

As pretty much everyone else has said it really comes down to the individual. I'm one of those rare people out there who has always been a lark/early bird; my current work shift is usually 4am-12pm and it's pretty much perfect for me. I go to bed at 7pm every night, wake up at 3am, and almost always wake up feeling refreshed. All bases covered.

Sometimes I temporarily get switched to an overnight shift for a week or so, though, and those are just brutal for me because I'm not a night owl. It doesn't matter how much I sleep/don't sleep or if I take naps, the midnight stuff just kills me. Props to you guys who can pull it off.

Anyways a couple of the tricks I learned from being an extreme early riser probably also apply to people on the graveyard shift. During the summer the sun is still blaring in through the window at 7pm so I'll wear a really dark eye mask. Definitely keep your phone off or at least muted; I've been working this job for years and my mom still tries to text or call me at like 11pm (she's an hour behind me so there's probably also that.) Keep your sleep and meal schedule as consistent as you can, even on your days off. And if you're really tired, and are able to, a quick power nap in the middle of the day (or whatever counts as your day) can go a long way.

Also keep the lights bright if you can. A dim light just lulls me to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
The company will always hate you/think you do nothing.

• Locked thread