Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

he's bigger, better, stronger too

he's the first member of the DK crew

D-K Donkey Kong
D-K Donkey Kong is here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you got the lyrics wrong you stupid

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
it didn't actually fire in bursts though it was semiauto

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
which is worse: the original dk rap, or the remixed version in melee?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
my favorite memory of DK64 was when I stopped playing it to watch ABC's coverage of millennium celebrations around the world

I'm an old man posting on the internet about a children's game

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
most peoples favorite memory of dk64 was when they stopped playing it

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
pineapple smells

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

darealkooky posted:

the last thing i really remmeber is swimming

just swimming and swimming and swimming somewhere for some mcguffin, and like i know i played past that point but the memory just didn't form

also fed a lot of bananas to a big pink or blue hippo or rhinoceros to make it fatter than a different pink or blue hippo or rhinoceros and that was like half the game from what i recall

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

darealkooky posted:

nice

i'm pretty sure i was playing the jetpac minigame before i finally said "screw this"

the only reason I got DK64 was for the expansion pack so I could play Rogue Squadron with the moderately higher res textures two months later

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Can someone post the Feenix ninja turtles rap.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

JethroMcB posted:

nice

i'm pretty sure i was playing the jetpac minigame before i finally said "screw this"

the only reason I got DK64 was for the expansion pack so I could play Rogue Squadron with the moderately higher res textures two months later

the game loving expected little baby children to beat the original donkey kong game twice without dying

that's not a sidequest, you need to do that to unlock the final boss

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

darealkooky posted:

the game loving expected little baby children to beat the original donkey kong game twice without dying

haha i remember getting to that poo poo and giving it like a token try before being like gently caress that

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

AHungryRobot posted:

i think the melee version is more epic, but neither is bad

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i bet the op wanted us to all chime the rest of the rap which i almost did but then i remembered it was poo poo

Soral
May 30, 2009

d k

Soral
May 30, 2009

donkey kong

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I played this on an emulator and only got through it by abusing save states and the one thing I remember is silently admiring anyone who got through it legitly because even cheating my way through it, it was terrible and frustrating and tedious on almost all accounts.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ive never played DK64 and i never want to. it exists only as a concept and as a vehicle for entertaining speedruns

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

i think the melee version is more epic, but neither is bad

yeah i agree. i never see anyone talk about the melee remix though

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Omally posted:

pineapple smells

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

JethroMcB posted:

my favorite memory of DK64 was when I stopped playing it to watch ABC's coverage of millennium celebrations around the world

I'm an old man posting on the internet about a children's game

I remember playing it around that time too, distinctively playing beaver bother ( gently caress beaver bother ) during christmas.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Endorph posted:

you got the lyrics wrong you stupid

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Omally posted:

pineapple smells

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

darealkooky posted:

Oh my god I remember being hyper pissed as a kid that after all the crap I'd been through collecting everything, right there at the end of the game, I was still blocked from moving on to the battle royale which looked so cool in the game guide. I simply couldn't muster up the willpower to finish the loving original DK twice in a row for a golden banana I mean GOD drat. You also had to complete Jetpac for some stupid coin :rolleyes:

In the end I traded my N64 and DK for store credit at EB and bought Red Faction on PC, which I did actually clock and had more fun with.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

darealkooky posted:

yep. i got to the second screen on the donkey kong arcade and kept jumping from too high from one of the elevators. never had the issue with any other version of the game, arcade or otherwise. stopped playing after that.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
Donkey Kong 64 was probably the tipping point for collectathons. I think the novelty of running around collecting gewgaws in 3D was starting to wear off at this point, or maybe it just felt like that since you had to do everything five times. Even Nintendo Power was like 'there's too much stuff' alongside their totally not biased praise for the game:

I guess they dialed back the collecting in Tooie but then again they doubled down on the backtracking so it's not that noticeable.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

AHungryRobot posted:

the melee version took out "hell of a guy" so it's the N64 version

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The Dk rap was legit edgy as gently caress in my elementary school because they said hell in it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

darealkooky posted:

Holy gently caress, is that what you had to do? I remember getting to the final area and getting stuck and never beating the game.

[e] I beat the astronaut mini game though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the DK64 LP is worth watching because the guy playing it goes from "This is one of my favorite games ever" to "Oh god this game is terrible"

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
i actually beat that game and man I barely even remembered the original donkey kong game part but now i'm remembering just a little bit

that suuuuuuuuuuuucked

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Complexcalibur posted:

Donkey Kong 64 was probably the tipping point for collectathons.

I dunno man the same people made banjo tooie like a year later and that's the best "collect all this bullshit in 3D" game ever

maybe they needed to ritually purge all their poo poo ideas into another game to make that game so good, like in the movie twins where to make arnold they needed to remove all his poo poo attributes and create danny devito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

darealkooky posted:

I dunno man the same people made banjo tooie like a year later and that's the best "collect all this bullshit in 3D" game ever

maybe they needed to ritually purge all their poo poo ideas into another game to make that game so good, like in the movie twins where to make arnold they needed to remove all his poo poo attributes and create danny devito

Well when I say tipping point I mean as far as the sheer volume of coins and fruits and crowns that you absolutely need to collect to progress in the game. They realized that was too much poo poo so they put slightly less poo poo in Tooie.

I mean on top of the crap you need to collect to unlock things, there's at least four other resources you need to manage for the different stuff your characters can do. I guess that didn't go away in Tooie with the different kinds of egg ammo, but at the same time it was all technically for single move, and the little nests of eggs would cycle through all the ammo types.

Then again it's hard to say what lessons Rare learned from DK64 and Tooie as far as collectathons go because they stopped making them after that, unless you want to talk about Star Fox Adventures (I don't).

• Locked thread