Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Welp. Time to kill and burn all dogs again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Good news everybody!

http://news.yahoo.com/british-ebola-nurse-pauline-cafferkey-critically-ill-002413262.html

quote:

A British nurse who was successfully treated in January after contracting Ebola in Sierra Leone is now "critically ill" due to a resurgence of the virus, the hospital treating her said Wednesday.

Just two weeks ago, Cafferkey was at Downing Street meeting Prime Minister David Cameron's wife Samantha and receiving a bravery award.

She reportedly visited a primary school the day before being readmitted to hospital on October 6.

"We are sad to announce that Pauline Cafferkey's condition has deteriorated and she is now critically ill. Pauline is being treated for Ebola in the high-level isolation unit at the Royal Free," the London hospital said in a statement.

Cafferkey was first diagnosed with Ebola in December after returning to the Scottish city of Glasgow from Sierra Leone.

She then spent almost a month in the isolation unit at the Royal Free Hospital and was treated with an experimental anti-viral drug and blood from Ebola survivors before being discharged.

But last week, she fell ill again and was treated in Glasgow before being flown by military aircraft back to the Royal Free Hospital in London.

So I guess Ebola is like the Herpes of horrible ways to die.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Three Olives posted:

Good news everybody!

http://news.yahoo.com/british-ebola-nurse-pauline-cafferkey-critically-ill-002413262.html

That's surprising and not something I can easily explain based on the biology. Keep in mind though, ebola is only communicable during severe symptoms. If she wasn't already very sick during the visit the tots will be fine.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Obviously Ebola is now airborne and she must have breathed in some old air from when she was still sick.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

We're all dead.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its 2015, and the world has been ravaged by Ebola. The EU disintegrated after all major population centers have been evacuated into the now-overcrowded rural areas. Martial law exists at every active airport, but no planes are landing. The unburied dead outnumber the living.

A dying civilization crys out to the sky: Why didn't we listen to Zimbo when we had the chance?!!?!!?!!?!

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Baloogan posted:

Its 2015, and the world has been ravaged by Ebola. The EU disintegrated after all major population centers have been evacuated into the now-overcrowded rural areas. Martial law exists at every active airport, but no planes are landing. The unburied dead outnumber the living.

A dying civilization crys out to the sky: Why didn't we listen to Zimbo when we had the chance?!!?!!?!!?!

Not to gloat, but there were a whole poo poo-ton more posters than just zimbo that were confident that millions would die and that the WHO was covering up. Lesson being, everyone sucks.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
When the bioterrorists detonated that ebola bomb in moscow i literally poo poo myself watching it on cnn

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

That's surprising and not something I can easily explain based on the biology. Keep in mind though, ebola is only communicable during severe symptoms. If she wasn't already very sick during the visit the tots will be fine.

Adding to this, it appears to be another case of a post-Ebola neurological syndrome.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

reading this thread i sure am glad im a retard who is very wrong about everything

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Baloogan posted:

When the bioterrorists detonated that ebola bomb in moscow i literally poo poo myself watching it on cnn

same, realized that i had ebola when i stuck my finger up my rear end and saw blood

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Remember when the number of cases was only going up exponentially? Honestly wtf what does "hyper-apocalyptial" even mean; even though its a household word now.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Three Olives posted:

Good news everybody!

Well, that's bad. If it remains latent in even a tiny fraction of the patients, that represents an enormous threat to public health in the long term. A Doctors Without Borders type at home is really the worst case - the absolute last thing you want is for Ebola to suddenly pop up in a first-world country with frequent air travel.

There were only 1,716 cases total from 1976 through 2013. That probably wasn't enough cases to study low-order probabilities of latency, especially given the fairly low level of medical attention.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Baloogan posted:

Remember when the number of cases was only going up exponentially? Honestly wtf what does "hyper-apocalyptial" even mean; even though its a household word now.

It means "I calculated the value of an exponential function after a couple dozen cycles and pooped myself".

There's a whole bunch of reasons that the perfect transmission ratio doesn't happen even in the absence of medical intervention, but exponential growth is a thing that the human brain doesn't intuitively comprehend very well. The classic example is that if you have a lake with a plant that doubles its coverage of the surface every day, at the end of the sequence how long does it take to cover half the lake? a day

Diseases can grow at much greater rate than doubling their population every cycle. There are horror cases like that kid who took an international bus ride while they were making GBS threads themselves to death. Those cases can easily cause dozens of primary transmissions and hundreds of secondary transmissions if they're not handled properly. First-world countries can be worse in some senses, since there's a very free flow of international air travel (which takes place in a giant tin can).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
after the first billion died and sea-burial became the norm no one predicted that the ocean itsself would thereafter transmit the Virus.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
LONDON, Oct 14 (Reuters) - Ebola virus can exist in the semen of male survivors of the disease for at least nine months after their initial infection appears, much longer than previously thought, scientists said on Wednesday.

http://www.trust.org/item/20151014214124-eecst/

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

A Doctors Without Borders type at home is really the worst case - the absolute last thing you want is for Ebola to suddenly pop up in a first-world country with frequent air travel.

I would humbly disagree, Ebola will never be a disease that spreads well in western countries for a lot of reasons. The primary being basic education, trust in the healthcare system and the need for severe symptoms to be able to effectively spread the disease.

The worst case scenario is still the slums of a distrustful, fearful under equipped city.

edit: reminder that we are not sure yet if the virus particles found insemen are still alive and capable of infecting another human.

IAMNOTADOCTOR fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 15, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

edit: reminder that we are not sure yet if the virus particles found insemen are still alive and capable of infecting another human.

The lack of new cases seems to be a pretty good indicator that it's not. People don't just stop loving.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The lack of new cases seems to be a pretty good indicator that it's not. People don't just stop loving.

Clearly you're not married. :rimshot:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Whoops!

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/science-ticker/first-known-case-sexually-transmitted-ebola-reported

Seems pretty low-risk, nevertheless, so I'm not super-concerned. As Doctor Sprecher notes in the article, there are 17k survivors of infection and 1 (one) sexually transmitted case in lots of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Have we died yet? I think I'm dead...

• Locked thread