Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hoodrich posted:

I know what you mean dude. If I told my child self that on September 11, 2011 four passenger airliners would be hijacked by 19 al-Qaeda terrorists so they could be flown into buildings in suicide attacks, two of them colliding into the North and South towers, respectively, of the World Trade Center complex in New York City, killing almost 3,000 people, including the 227 civilians and 19 hijackers aboard the four planes, my child self would be like WTF?
my child self would ask if they still aired pokemon that day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Hoodrich posted:

I know what you mean dude. If I told my child self that on September 11, 2011 four passenger airliners would be hijacked by 19 al-Qaeda terrorists so they could be flown into buildings in suicide attacks, two of them colliding into the North and South towers, respectively, of the World Trade Center complex in New York City, killing almost 3,000 people, including the 227 civilians and 19 hijackers aboard the four planes, my child self would be like WTF?

my child self would be pretty pissed I'm too loving stupid to count years when 2001 rolled around

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
They thought the joystick would just be a gimmick, the pad would be the primary input that most games would use. (no joke)

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Fredrik1 posted:

They thought the joystick would just be a gimmick, the pad would be the primary input that most games would use. (no joke)

well they really hosed that up when they made mario 64 didn't they

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Like I said, they were hedging risk with the design. The joystick and c-buttons reflect Nintendo's intent to make 3D games, but they weren't sure if other game developers were willing to make use of it.

It was only after the N64 was released and Nintendo took those cautious steps with the joystick and to a lesser extent the rumble pak that Sony saw that game devs were willing to make use of it, and released controllers with analog sticks and rumble.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 2, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Hoodrich posted:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
my child self would have just asked me when Starcraft 2 was coming out

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

my child self would have just asked me when Starcraft 2 was coming out

You've got some very bad news for your child self. :(

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Sticking up your butt hole Lol.

Someone finally had the guts to say it. Thank you.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
tbh between the n64 controller being an easily broken awkward piece of poo poo and retarded ps1 devs thinking that tank controls where a thing that ever needed to exist i'd take n64 controller any day

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Schnedwob posted:

and all of them are WIRELESS. and there's memory storage inside the console. and INTERNET MULTIPLAYER. if I had told my child self this he would have gone insane

when i got my 360 in 2006, the concept of a wireless controller baffled me. i'd literally point the controller at the console while playing to make sure it worked, like i was using a tv remote

starting the console by pressing a button on the controller blew my mind

i wasn't that impressed again until my kinect logged me into my xbone when i walked in front of it

i'd do stupid poo poo like poke my face over the couch slowly or around corners and it'd still log me in

anyways this is all poo poo we take for granted

*crams left prong of n64 controller up butthole*

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
my xbone

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

matrix ripoff posted:

when i got my 360 in 2006, the concept of a wireless controller baffled me. i'd literally point the controller at the console while playing to make sure it worked, like i was using a tv remote

i wasn't that impressed again until my kinect logged me into my xbone when i walked in front of it

i'd do stupid poo poo like poke my face over the couch slowly or around corners and it'd still log me in

I didn't because I'm a normal person who owned a Wavebird with my Nintendo Gamecube.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

matrix ripoff posted:

you sound like an idiot

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I didn't because I'm a normal person who owned a Wavebird with my Nintendo Gamecube.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder, what percent of n64 controllers garage been inside a butt? I'm thinking 40%.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

zen death robot posted:

What the gently caress does this post even mean?

'Have' got phone autocorrected to 'garage' somehow.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

BigLeafyTree posted:

'Have' got phone autocorrected to 'garage' somehow.

I thought you were referring to controllers in garage sales. Made sense to me. :shrug:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
N64 controller construction was bad, it's like they didn't expect the analog stick to see nearly as much use as it did.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

matrix ripoff posted:

are you my dog because he does the same thing

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
n64 controller bonus: joystick is made of cocaine and gradually builds up a powder layer for you

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It's for the bizarre two controller scheme they had in Goldeneye

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
The only use for the two controller scheme in Goldeneye was shooting people during cutscenes.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Jackie D posted:

Look who never played WCW/NWO revenge

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

No Such Thing posted:

You've got some very bad news for your child self. :(

story of my life

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014
It's for gaming.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Stink fag posted:

It's for gaming.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Stink fag posted:

It's for gaming.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

Stink fag posted:

It's for gaming.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
dual controller goldeneye was sick as hell btw

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Stink fag posted:

It's for gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
if you own gaming console controllers for any reason other than weirdly-shaped sex toys for your butt, you're wasting money on them

• Locked thread