Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

The Walking Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcCKXVkGCGM

Cartoon made in Uzbekistan depicting what the Soviets thought of nuclear war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcCKXVkGCGM

The history of the ideology behind Soviet central planning and Gosplan. It elaborates on how the Soviets believed that computing power would save central planning, probably the only existing English interviews with head bureaucrats at Gosplan just before everything went tits up.

Both links are to the same video, the Uzbekistani cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Based on a 1950 short story by ray bradbury
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Will_Come_Soft_Rains_%28short_story%29

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's also worth mentioning how small and isolated the warsaw pact economies were from the rest of the world. Just in term of population and economic power, west and east were always playing in totally different leagues. It has always been about the guns. Even modern Russia, a poverty stricken country of only ~145 million people, can still push everyone around with its nuclear arsenal today.

Also, there were definitely great hopes for computerization. I know some people from the Soviet Union who were involved in tests of individual computer terminals for factory workers. Each worker was supposed to log their personal production and use of materials individually and there was a chain of custody for everything involved. But I'm pretty sure it would've taken a good factory manager a week or so to learn how to game this system just as easily as the old one.

And even if all these dreams of a completely computerized and an efficient planned economy would have come true, the western economies would have benefited just as much from this technology(see modern e-commerce), keeping the gap between the two wide open.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Communist Zombie posted:

Both links are to the same video, the Uzbekistani cartoon.

My bad here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gwyHNo7MI

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Frostwerks posted:

What a progressive people.

Well the Huns liked to fight naked, so it's not really progressive so much as being in touch with their historical roots. :v:

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
What did the regular Yuri Sixpackimov think about Prague Spring, Hungarian revolution and the Afghan war?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Was it common for immigrants/refugees from the Soviet Union to still tow the party line even after fleeing?

Back in the 80s and 90s my father was the manager of a photo lab (this was back in the days before one hour photo in every grocery store, drug store and box store was a thing) that was owned by a Jewish family. In '89 or '90 Their Synagogue sponsored a family that had received political/religious asylum to move to the US and one of the sons had experience working in a Soviet camera factory so they offered him a job working in the lab. My father recalls that for the first six months or so he was still incredibly defensive about the Soviet Union and was constantly bad-mouthing the west, capitalism, etc, which seems kind of odd if you were fleeing religious/ideological persecution - although I guess it's possible since he was in his late teens he may not have wanted to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Fish of hemp posted:

What did the regular Yuri Sixpackimov think about Prague Spring, Hungarian revolution and the Afghan war?
First two - probably hadn't even heard of or noticed them, though people in the Baltics etc who were tuned to BBC and VoA were obviously appalled.

Afghan war - roughly the same as Americans thought of Vietnam war. Sending conscript armies to fight guerilla war in Afghanistan didn't go over so well.

• Locked thread