Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

So, my good buddy has been dating this exchange student from China for the past year. I'm hosting a barbecue at my place (UK so probably a wash out anyway) on the weekend.

He wanted to introduce his girl - Yi - to our merry little band of shitheads so I suggested that might be a good atmosphere to gently ease her into such a toxic group of idiots.

She has really bought into the idea and is insisting on bringing chicken feet for the barbecue. Either she's going balls deep and trolling the hell out of me (kudos) or seriously bringing chickens feet, claws and all.

Does anyone have the slightest idea how I can best use these on the barbecue?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We need a chicken thread

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Chickens' feet are a very common thing in China. I'd gnaw on a few.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
They're delicious but most people get grossed at that they're pretty much 75% cartilage and 25% tiny bones.

They're delicious, but aren't they normally braised a bit to break them down? I've never cooked them and I've never googled it either :effort:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Doh004 posted:

they're pretty much 75% cartilage and 25% tiny bones.

^^this is SO true

no idea how to prepare them on the bbq, I only eat them at chinese restaurants

a while back:

these were definitely braised and had a lot of 5 spice powder (and red pepper obviously)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Dude, Chinese exchange students aren't dumb. She's probably aware that most people from your country usually don't throw chicken feet on their grill. If she doesn't bring them seasoned / prepared and just hands you a bunch of stuff that was obviously hacked off a live chicken minutes ago just ask her what you're supposed to do with them.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Doh004 posted:

They're delicious but most people get grossed at that they're pretty much 75% cartilage and 25% tiny bones.

They're delicious, but aren't they normally braised a bit to break them down? I've never cooked them and I've never googled it either :effort:

They can be braised or grilled. Sometimes they're magically deboned and then braised and they become really easy to eat and soft and good. They're a bit tougher when grilled but they can still be pretty good, and they usually seem to spice them up with a bunch of cumin.

Since it seems like the OP hasn't eaten them before, what you do is put a whole toe (or is this a claw?) in your mouth and bite it off at the joint, then chew all the skin and cartilage off and spit out the tiny bones one by one. Then you do pretty much the same thing with the rest of the foot. If that's overwhelming to you, you can also just bite off one section at a time at each knuckle.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ask her to bring goose feet instead, they're much better.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'd definitely do the dimsum style steaming for 30-45 minutes in black bean/wine sauce, and then grill them. chinese cooking is all about 'twice cooking' so that's totally a legit approach.

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

fart simpson posted:

Ask her to bring goose feet instead, they're much better.

This just feels like a scaled up version of the same problem :)

Thanks all for the insight however... I want her to feel welcome so I'm going to have to try my best. Failing that I'm going to get shitfaced and put on the most bizarre puppet show ever seen with them.

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

mindphlux posted:

I'd definitely do the dimsum style steaming for 30-45 minutes in black bean/wine sauce, and then grill them. chinese cooking is all about 'twice cooking' so that's totally a legit approach.

This actually sounds amazing. Kudos to you good sir, I'm looking into it now.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
She may be bringing them cold, already cooked. That's a thing I believe.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
^^ that is so true!

Also, try to mention chicken stomachs while she's there....you want to try those as well sometime, trust me

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Hopefully she'll bring them at least boiled if not preseasoned. If they're just straight boiled you can try doing a quick wet marinade and grilling them on low heat. I've only really had them twiced cooked, boiled and then braised for a couple of hours. Barbecuing them can still work. If you are worried about the toe nails you can chop them off with a knife before grilling them.

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

paraquat posted:

^^ that is so true!

Also, try to mention chicken stomachs while she's there....you want to try those as well sometime, trust me

If you had to compare them to something similar, what would it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

THE RAGGY posted:

If you had to compare them to something similar, what would it be?

Chicken gizzards. No for real, there's not much you can compare them to other than chicken flavored kinda chewy but good meat bags.

• Locked thread