Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Kazvall posted:

I'm just not listening to you, you are the devil. Go not die in a fire, because you're immune, rear end in a top hat. :colbert:
It's not like I was happy to arrive at this enlightenment, but it's too late to go back.

And others, must share in my fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kilroy posted:

It's not like I was happy to arrive at this enlightenment, but it's too late to go back.

And others, must share in my fate.

I'm glad Alundra doesn't fall under jrpg.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Kazvall posted:

I'm glad Alundra doesn't fall under jrpg.
Yep. Secret of Mana is another good one.

Menu-based combat with the tactical depth of a wet carrot, a story tailored for still-developing brains, and characterization that could only be dreamt up by an early-twenties Japanese virgin who got picked on too much in high school. Only JRPGs possess all these characteristics in abundance.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kilroy posted:

Menu-based combat with the tactical depth of a wet carrot, a story tailored for still-developing brains, and characterization that could only be dreamt up by an early-twenties Japanese virgin who got picked on too much in high school. Only JRPGs possess all these characteristics in abundance.

I will still defend the Wild Arms 1 remake, Alter Code: F. Though, it's on the PS2.

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Kilroy posted:

You're right in that does apply to a lot of them, and people's nostalgia definitely helps them ignore this sort of thing with their more beloved games, but I still think you're wrong.

The problem is, you've arrived at your enlightenment, no? I see these games for their faults and positives, much like any gamer sees any game?

And then we see those things.. differently than other people.

What I'm saying is: Alundra is amazing. And the only way to enjoy Kilroy's posts is to fast forward them.

Zeuhl fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 8, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

secret of mana is dumb

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Great Joe posted:

secret of mana is dumb

This is correct. Legend of Mana is easily the better game.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Literally no RPG I've ever liked had random encounters why do people even think these are good.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
If your favorite rpg isn't Seiken Densetsu 3 I'll be taking your gamer card.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

SeXReX posted:

You can pry it from my cold, dead, Live A Live hands

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

SeXReX posted:

You're right, I'm blinded by your skillful use of Power Word: Transliterated Japanese!

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
I dont like random encounters but i also dont like running around enemies who take you to a battle if you touch them

But if you fast forward a game like that it would be super hard to avoid them but id like to see someone try

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i like earthbound's random encountry style a lot. you shouldn't fight stuff you get no gains from. it is okay to still get their drops if you hunt them down, though.

i like it when it's not hard to get it to be favorable and you have to be trying to run past to gently caress it up

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kilroy posted:

If you were eleven when those games were released then it's totally fine if you think they're the best thing ever. Otherwise, I'm sorry to inform you, you have wrong opinions about games :(

hurrr drrrrrr look if you like games i don't like your a dumb stupid baby

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SeXReX posted:

Literally no RPG I've ever liked had random encounters why do people even think these are good.
Because having two easily avoidable enemies on screen at a time means the boss ends up being the same weakling as the last one, with a few hundred more HP. People hated the screen transitions with all the wandering around, but devs forgot that enemies need to be beaten up so you don't feel like the dungeon existed to house a flashy five minute boss fight and ten minute cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Dr Pepper posted:

hurrr drrrrrr look if you like games i don't like your a dumb stupid baby
You could write down this post in response to any criticism of anything. It's meaningless.

• Locked thread