Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

it's voice acting, you don't cast based on looks. that's why Tifa isn't played by Christina Hendricks

C. Hendricks could def do scarlet though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

They'd get someone more athletic than buxom for Tifa, IMO.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Tifa hasn't looked particularly athletic in any of her appearances

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Glad she died. Tifa, even Yuffie were superior.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Final Fantasy Seven Just Did It Better: My Final Thoughts

Princess Diana just died, but Final Fantasy 7 was about to come out. There was a time to mourn and a time to game, and boy howdy was it game time. The commercials leading up to the game just made it all better. I still remember the days of not having a memory card and always having to repeat the same scenes over and over again (the part where you escape Midgar, than mother would interrupt and say time for bed). Oh well, I didn't mind it at all. What I was playing was Final Fantasy 7; I'd play the same great game the next day. I finally got a memory card for my birthday but it was a crappy thrid party one - oh well.

Loved the atmosphere, being a kid you really did the politics or the happenings (or you just didn't care) all I knew was that we were the heroes of the world trying to stop an oppressive regime and also a godly like villain. We met friends, and we lost them. Death breaths new life. I still remember watching Aerith's death. Iconic - maybe even the most glorified and tragic scene in the entire Final FFantasy franchise.

What we witnessed 17 years ago was more about video games, it was a stepping stone in story telling which has ultimately led to video games today. Final Fantasy 7 did it right. Final Fantasy 7 did it best.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
the only really innovative thing Final Fantasy did in its storytelling was having the main protagonist act as an unreliable narrator, but that didn't exactly become a commonly emulated thing in video game stories

also smart kids that didn't have memory cards just left the console on but turned the TV off so it could pass for inactive. I think when I first got a playstation I left it on for like 72 hours straight

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

the only really innovative thing Final Fantasy did in its storytelling was having the main protagonist act as an unreliable narrator, but that didn't exactly become a commonly emulated thing in video game stories

also smart kids that didn't have memory cards just left the console on but turned the TV off so it could pass for inactive. I think when I first got a playstation I left it on for like 72 hours straight

It didn't help that the first run psx consoles had that issue where the cd spinner would just stop working. On the other hand dismantling a game console to replace a part was probably way more constructive for me as a fifteen year old than playing the games was

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Adrian brody would make a pretty good hojo I think

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Have Lewis Black voice everyone, but only after the entire plot of FF7 has been explained to and interpreted for him over several hours, when he is completely sober.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Having a playstation without a memory card was part of growing up.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Thank god Crash Bandicoot had passwords. The first one that is, I got so close to beating Warped so.many.times

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

I remember imagining her with a cockney accent and I have no loving idea why

Probably because of Pygmalion/My Fair Lady. She's an anime Eliza Doolittle without attitude or a good writer behind her.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Chris Tucker voices everyone.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
I think i played ff9, but i dont remember a single loving thing about it except you kill god in the end or something. I could also be talking about literally every jrpg ever.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Fargield posted:

Sephirtoh: Adolf Hitler

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I wasn't even alive when this lovely game for old people came out.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

The gently caress?! People had a Playstation and games but not a loving memory card?

you tell your parent you want a playstation for Christmas but neglect to mention the memory card because you're a dumb kid and think it goes without saying

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Buschmaki posted:

I wasn't even alive when this lovely game for old people came out.

You have a bunch of posts about Warhammer 40k....you wanna talk about games for old people?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
He probably started with Dawn of War or something

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Sharmat posted:

He probably started with Dawn of War or something

He would have been like 7 or under.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Knuc U Kinte posted:

growing up poor maybe

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

The Taint Reaper posted:

He would have been like 7 or under.

I did start with Dawn of War, but I also bought a bunch of minis because I'm a dumb idiot so your point still stands.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Buschmaki posted:

I did start with Dawn of War, but I also bought a bunch of minis because I'm a dumb idiot so your point still stands.

dawn of war really did a good job of fooling people into thinking warhammer 40k and miniatures is cool instead of dumb which it actually is.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr. Pumroy posted:

dawn of war really did a good job of fooling people into thinking warhammer 40k and miniatures is cool instead of dumb which it actually is.

I don't get why Warhammer toys are so expensive when the Dungeons and Dragons minis cost less, are somewhat larger, and come fully painted and assembled.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

I don't get why Warhammer toys are so expensive when the Dungeons and Dragons minis cost less, are somewhat larger, and come fully painted and assembled.

they have a small but dedicated fandom that functions as a cult that will buy these things no matter what

you know, like Apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

because games workshop is a terrible company, but a realistic one

• Locked thread