Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korthal
May 26, 2011

MMOs
  • WoW
  • Everquest
  • Eve
  • Planetside 2
  • TES:Online

Not MMOs

• War Thunder
  • Practically every MMOFPS that's not Planetside 2
  • War Thunder in Space
  • That cyberpunk ninja one I forgot it's name
  • Most MMOs on Steam tbqh

Please give me any additions and I'll edit the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Signed

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

the only thing needed to be an mmo is lots of different outfits to equip and a hub town in which to show off how cool your guy looks. the persistent world stuff is a weird nitpick not a genre definition

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

also why does it even matter, it's not like persistent versus instanced content is ever in any lifetime going to make a good game bad or a bad game good.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think a line should be drawn between instanced and persistent content too to differentiate things like Ultima Online and Eve Online from their theme park MMO cousins

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If you say so, OP.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty sure the ops mom qualifies as "massively multiplayer" given this rule set

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
MMOs are usually bad games.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

the difference between a diarrhea and a wet poo poo

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Concordat posted:

MMOs are usually bad games.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
add minecraft to the mmos op

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
*clears throat* uh you forgot age of conan

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
runescape

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Dongslayer. posted:

*clears throat* uh you forgot age of conan

that's still alive?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

First to say my dick is an MMO in this thread.

Edit: BECAUSE IT'S MASSIVE

surc fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 9, 2014

surc
Aug 17, 2004

No but seriously, I think of the persistent world as an MMORPG thing, and that MMOFPS's do not require it because they're not really the same type of MMO. There aren't really games in an overall MMO genre, just subgenres of it with variations on an overall theme. :shrug:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

surc posted:

No but seriously, I think of the persistent world as an MMORPG thing, and that MMOFPS's do not require it because they're not really the same type of MMO. There aren't really games in an overall MMO genre, just subgenres of it with variations on an overall theme. :shrug:

Thoughts on Phantasy Star Online?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

I think a line should be drawn between instanced and persistent content too to differentiate things like Ultima Online and Eve Online from their theme park MMO cousins

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Korthal posted:

MMOs
  • WoW
  • Everquest
  • Eve
  • Planetside 2
  • TES:Online

Not MMOs

• War Thunder
  • Practically every MMOFPS that's not Planetside 2
  • War Thunder in Space
  • That cyberpunk ninja one I forgot it's name
  • Most MMOs on Steam tbqh

Please give me any additions and I'll edit the OP

war thunder is fun tho while world of warcraft isnt

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Korthal posted:

that's still alive?

I think so but tortuga sewers will always be alive in my heart

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Great Joe posted:

war thunder is fun tho while world of warcraft isnt

I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying it's not an MMO

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I've never seen any of the games in the second category referred to as MMOs.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Korthal posted:

I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying it's not an MMO

perhaps a theme is emerging here

Dec 26, 2012

Schnedwob posted:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I have, it's weird.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

op are you sure it's not just "massive multiplayer online" sounds like any moba to me

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
how persistent are we talking here

because in eso there is a world that you can wander around but you cant do nothin you just walk around., enemies just appear and you kill them and then they come back again. you can collect flowers and stuff and laugh at the saps you stole them off whove got to go find flowers somewhere else i guess.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Abandon posted:

because in eso there is a world that you can wander around but you cant do nothin you just walk around., enemies just appear and you kill them and then they come back again. you can collect flowers and stuff and laugh at the saps you stole them off whove got to go find flowers somewhere else i guess.

Your insane.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wormskull posted:

Your insane.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
there is no way to put items down or move them around you just take them . apparently they're going to introduce a crime system where you can kill civilians but they just come back as well. you won;t be able to kill anyone who gives you quests or indeed talks to you at all. also you can steal which is the same as taking stuff out of boxes but you get in poo poo with the guards/

Dec 26, 2012

Abandon posted:

Abandon posted:

there is no way to put items down or move them around you just take them . apparently they're going to introduce a crime system where you can kill civilians but they just come back as well. you won;t be able to kill anyone who gives you quests or indeed talks to you at all. also you can steal which is the same as taking stuff out of boxes but you get in poo poo with the guards/

dude.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
its not an rpg. or rather it's as much of an rpg as say zelda is

Abandon fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 10, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Club Penguin is an MMO

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Abandon posted:

Wormskull posted:

Your insane.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Schnedwob posted:

I have, but only by idiotic forum pubbies outside of SA. Even goons aren't that stupid.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Korthal posted:

Not MMOs
  • Practically every MMOFPS
  • Most MMOs

ok.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
second life is the only real mmo

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
How to tell if your playing a rpg:

can you put items down or move them around? its rpg

can you just take them? its zelda

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
lol at the idea that MMO means RPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

Throwdini posted:

How to tell if your playing a rpg:

can you put items down or move them around? its rpg

can you just take them? its zelda

smart mother fucker, how about you get your smart mouth around my mother loving dick

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread